Future regular season games vs Baylor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future regular season games vs Baylor?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not that it’s likely but can’t a school divide its athletic teams into two conferences for major sports? It clearly is allowed with minor sports like hockey.
Yes, that’s possible. But we’re talking about football and basketball. The problem is that the AAC has a 12 year, $1 billion contract with ESPN. While I doubt that ESPN cares much about USF crew or volleyball. I don’t think they would be pleased if the top WBB program jumps ship to a rival conference who’s contract is with FOX Sports.

Reaction Score
Translation: Of course the home and home OOC series won’t start until 2024-2025. Baylor would be have to be wacko to play against a team with a healthy Edwards, Nika, Paige, Caroline, Azzi and Griffin.

Yet........... she still could in the 2024-2025 season.

Reaction Score
I know Geno has said it is a lot tougher to get teams to play UConn and as @oldude noted, next year the conference schedule moves to only 18 conference games so there is room for 2 more OOC games. I just don't think that Baylor will be nearly as competitive under Collen as it was under Mulkey. She's taken a "Maserati" and is turning into a "Chevelle" in two short years. From Kim's 28-3 and 11 straight conference titles to 28-7, losing the Conference Tournament in 2022 and this year's 20-12 record and 4th place finish in the Big12. If this trend continues, I will be surprised if she will even be coaching in 2024-25.
Completely agree! Well said, though “Chevelle” might be a bit of an overstatement. I’m thinking SUV, family sedan, Ford Taurus. She (Colleen) is certainly no Kim Mulkey and Baylor will either continue it’s slide into “elevated mediocrity” or self-adjust within a very few years. I have nothing against her but, as you so eloquently said, replacing a world class craftsman with a journeyman is not going to give you the results you are looking for!
As for some on this board who seem to sneer at Kim, sure, she has a philosophical scheduling difference with Geno and Dawn but meanwhile, her teams seem to win and get better anyway. Regardless of her scheduling inadequacies, she and her teams are someone to be reckoned with, and that is why LSU and Baylor are on very different trajectories into the near future!

Kat

Reaction Score
This would only be good for Baylor. They need the attention that playing UConn gives. I don't see how this would help the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Baylor is heading down not up. If they want to add a game in the south then call Kim Mulkey and schedule LSU. They are getting the pieces in place and they would be a challenge for UCONN and more importantly a game the fans would want to watch. The only game in Texas worth scheduling right now is Texas.

I would think that Arizona would be a good add. The reality is UCONN plays enough of the top programs now so they should play opponents that give them a recruiting advantage.
I agree re Baylor’s decline but Kim, I believe, is unlikely to want to play us unless she can achieve some sort of roster advantage ala the Griner era.
As for Arizona, I think Barnes has done a great job there but is now experiencing some hiccups. I would love to see a series between UConn and Az as then I would finally get to see my Huskies in person!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I agree re Baylor’s decline but Kim, I believe, is unlikely to want to play us unless she can achieve some sort of roster advantage ala the Griner era.
As for Arizona, I think Barnes has done a great job there but is now experiencing some hiccups. I would love to see a series between UConn and Az as then I would finally get to see my Huskies in person!
Given Adia's "EF" UConn comments from the semi-final 2 years ago, I am completely against even asking if they want to play a game.
My top choices are:
Iowa, Indiana, Texas, Utah, Oklahoma, USF, LSU and even UCLA.

Reaction Score
No thanks, I’m not saying it’s impossible. But I think their best days are behind them. We will not benefit playing them because I expect a STEEP drop off in their play coming soon.

Reaction Score
They probably would trade TX and Baylor in to and out of schedule because yes - a Uconn presence in the state for recruiting purposes is important. Hot bed of talent and for some reason they seem to grow some taller players.
With California hemorrhaging people, Texas will probably be the most populous state in the very near future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom