Future regular season games vs Baylor? | The Boneyard

Future regular season games vs Baylor?

Reaction Score
I just don't think Baylor would be a wise priority for the valuable few OOC games... Unless they want a sustained TX presence for recruiting...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just don't think Baylor would be a wise priority for the valuable few OOC games... Unless they want a sustained TX presence for recruiting...
The number of BE in-conference games will be reduced in future seasons. Not a lot of teams want to schedule the Huskies. I think it’s great that Nicki Collen and Baylor will accept the challenge.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They probably would trade TX and Baylor in to and out of schedule because yes - a Uconn presence in the state for recruiting purposes is important. Hot bed of talent and for some reason they seem to grow some taller players.

Reaction Score
The number of BE in-conference games will be reduced in future seasons. Not a lot of teams want to schedule the Huskies. I think it’s great that Nicki Collen and Baylor will accept the challenge.
What formula are they going to use to reduce games? Also, aren’t they seeking a twelfth team to alleviate the bye?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What formula are they going to use to reduce games? Also, aren’t they seeking a twelfth team to alleviate the bye?
I don’t know exactly what the formula will be. Obviously, it’s a lot easier with 12 teams than 11, where you could have Eastern & Western divisions.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If any teams should be added to the BigEast, my first option would be Jose, South Florida.
That would be a great addition to the BE. But Jose is now the top dog in the AAC with Geno gone, and USF has a D1 football program that calls the shots when it comes to conference affiliation.

Reaction Score

Translation: Of course the home and home OOC series won’t start until 2024-2025. Baylor would be have to be wacko to play against a team with a healthy Edwards, Nika, Paige, Caroline, Azzi and Griffin.

Reaction Score
That would be a great addition to the BE. But Jose is now the top dog in the AAC with Geno gone, and USF has a D1 football program that calls the shots when it comes to conference affiliation.
How about Loyola of Chicago? Jesuit school with no football; natural rival for both Marquette and DePaul, ideal for filling out an East-West scenario (Creighton, Butler, Xavier). The men were once a powerhouse; the school has the resources and there are plenty of available arenas in Chicagoland.

Reaction Score
How about Loyola of Chicago? Jesuit school with no football; natural rival for both Marquette and DePaul, ideal for filling out an East-West scenario (Creighton, Butler, Xavier). The men were once a powerhouse; the school has the resources and there are plenty of available arenas in Chicagoland.
UConn, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Providence and Villanova in the East.

Reaction Score
I guess if you want a TX recruiting presence and be able to kill two birds with one stone with flights then you'd want to get Baylor and TX on opposite home and away schedules so you are going there every year.

The tournament is regularly in TX so also not a bad idea with getting the team comfortable with that trip.

BTW--- I still think Gonzaga in the Big East could work. They are really the only school that is good enough in both genders and without the football burden. Yeah the distance is a challenge but they could forge a new rivalry with Creighton. In reality, Gonzaga only has rivalries now with CA schools and they are just as far away from them as Creighton.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know Geno has said it is a lot tougher to get teams to play UConn and as @oldude noted, next year the conference schedule moves to only 18 conference games so there is room for 2 more OOC games. I just don't think that Baylor will be nearly as competitive under Collen as it was under Mulkey. She's taken a "Maserati" and is turning into a "Chevelle" in two short years. From Kim's 28-3 and 11 straight conference titles to 28-7, losing the Conference Tournament in 2022 and this year's 20-12 record and 4th place finish in the Big12. If this trend continues, I will be surprised if she will even be coaching in 2024-25.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Not that it’s likely but can’t a school divide its athletic teams into two conferences for major sports? It clearly is allowed with minor sports like hockey.

Reaction Score
I love it. Baylor is still a hot ticket. Adding them to the schedule would be a huge plus over the next few years or however long the contract lasts between them and us.

Reaction Score
Baylor is heading down not up. If they want to add a game in the south then call Kim Mulkey and schedule LSU. They are getting the pieces in place and they would be a challenge for UCONN and more importantly a game the fans would want to watch. The only game in Texas worth scheduling right now is Texas.

I would think that Arizona would be a good add. The reality is UCONN plays enough of the top programs now so they should play opponents that give them a recruiting advantage.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I know Geno has said it is a lot tougher to get teams to play UConn and as @oldude noted, next year the conference schedule moves to only 18 conference games so there is room for 2 more OOC games.
What did I miss? Are we losing a team, or is it a rotation of playing most teams 2x and a few 1x? Thanks in advance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom