Future Opponents | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Future Opponents

Reaction Score
Geno has dismissed the independent thing as not realistic to consider; he has said that he has a hard enough time filling the current non-conference schedule with the type of opponent he likes to schedule let alone filling the entire schedule. He's stated that it's almost impossible to get anyone to play a non-conference anytime past January 10 each year; he has 2 or 3 schools that he can count on as being willing to schedule a non-conference game in the midst of conference play. Plus he has said as long as he is the coach, we will be in a conference & he really doesn't care what conference because conference affiliation for the women, while important, is not as critical as it is for the men at this point in time.

Well there it is. :)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The only real gripe I have with our scheduling is that I'd like our "cupcake" games to be against CT or relevant regional opponents. Give me CCSU every year that Donyell is there, and a rotating cast of UHart, Sacred Heart, Fairfield, Holy Cross, maybe some Ivies or bigger-time Boston schools like BU and Northeastern.
Wouldn't it make for a good night out for opponents' fanbases, increase overall attendance, stimulate local economy, build statewide goodwill, and even have co-workers & friends who root for opposing schools attending together? It has always struck me as the best way to do it.

I'd certainly welcome anyone who has a reason I don't see as to why it would be a bad idea.

Reaction Score
I know my sister would watch a game then...she is a Sacred Heart alum. I also have family that went to CCSU and it would be cool to watch a game together...if I ever get back to CT.

I think those are all great reasons to play the state schools.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
We played Central just last year at XL and there was nobody there and we took a hit with their 300 RPI. No good. Apologies to Young Free and his family.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I know my sister would watch a game then...she is a Sacred Heart alum. I also have family that went to CCSU and it would be cool to watch a game together...if I ever get back to CT.

I think those are all great reasons to play the state schools.

I don't mean this to be condescending or rude, I truly don't. But it's likely we all have friends or family that went to other Connecticut universities and some posters on this site went to other universities themselves. A large number of the people who attend or attended other Connecticut schools are they themselves UConn fans first because their school was not one they grew up rooting for. Family fun is not a reason to put those teams on our schedule.

It would work in say, hockey, where there are three legitimate Connecticut hockey schools and another that fields a team, but it's not a good idea when you play basketball in a league that already requires you play 2-3 200+ RPI teams in any given year.

Reaction Score
We played Central just last year at XL and there was nobody there and we took a hit with their 300 RPI. No good. Apologies to Young Free and his family.

Dang it.

Reaction Score
I don't mean this to be condescending or rude, I truly don't. But it's likely we all have friends or family that went to other Connecticut universities and some posters on this site went to other universities themselves. A large number of the people who attend or attended other Connecticut schools are they themselves UConn fans first because their school was not one they grew up rooting for. Family fun is not a reason to put those teams on our schedule.

It would work in say, hockey, where there are three legitimate Connecticut hockey schools and another that fields a team, but it's not a good idea when you play basketball in a league that already requires you play 2-3 200+ RPI teams in any given year.

You don't sound condescending or rude. You are right that it isn't a reason to put them on the schedule, just saying if we had to put teams on and couldn't get anyone else I would at least be happy because of the family fun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The overall OOC schedule was great, but the home slate was a hot mess.
It did have a visit from the eventual national champs. And they put on a clinic.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You don't sound condescending or rude. You are right that it isn't a reason to put them on the schedule, just saying if we had to put teams on and couldn't get anyone else I would at least be happy because of the family fun.

I'll work harder at it next time ;). J/K.

I see you're new here. Welcome to the Oregon State Hospital, Mr. McMurphy. Nurse Ratched will be along with your medication shortly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom