Future Non Conference Opponents | The Boneyard

Future Non Conference Opponents

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What announcement would we like to see next for future non conference opponents?

Off the cuff - a selection of opponents with reasonable odds:

1) A home and away with Maryland. Its a perfect natural rivalry. And now we have Randy this time! (the bitter bowl of Randy Ex's). The trophy is Randy's alimony check.
2) Same deal, a home and away with Rutty! If you want to change the recruiting story for UConn in NJ, win at Rutty. Btw, Rutty should travel okay to East Hartford in the return game.
3) Keep the series going with UVA. Why Not? For both sides the proximity and probability of winning make sense.
4) Keeping it going with Syracuse and/or BC
5) I'm not opposed to a Pitt series.
6) BYU is still a fine opponent. Plus, BYU is a tv favorite and they travel well which adds some juice.
7) Of course just about any P5 opponent would be acceptable except for Wake Forest. I resent how this little school fell into the Power sports wealth.

The no thanks list:
1) I'd like to trade away one of those future UMass games. One game is plenty.
2) No thanks to Marshall, any SunBelt school, any Conf USA school.
3) No more directional Michigans. Puke.
4) No Wake - as already stated.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Darn - Mods, can you move this to the football board? My bad.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree that we never should play a C-USA, MAC, or Sun Belt team ever again.
I would like to see a series with Rutgers, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, BC or even Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
What announcement would we like to see next for future non conference opponents?

1) A home and away with Maryland. Its a perfect natural rivalry. And now we have Randy this time! (the bitter bowl of Randy Ex's). The trophy is Randy's alimony check.
2) Same deal, a home and away with Rutty! If you want to change the recruiting story for UConn in NJ, win at Rutty. Btw, Rutty should travel okay to East Hartford in the return game.
3) Keep the series going with UVA. Why Not? For both sides the proximity and probability of winning make sense.
6) BYU is still a fine opponent. Plus, BYU is a tv favorite and they travel well which adds some juice.
7) Of course just about any P5 opponent would be acceptable except for Wake Forest. I resent how this little school fell into the Power sports wealth.

The no thanks list:

Bite me. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. I fart in your general direction. I'm a Northern Michigan grad and have an advanced degree from Eastern Michigan. I'm a fan of Western Michigan (my daughter is probably going there when she finishes her early college program) and grew up going to Central Michigan games with my grandfather. If there was a Southern Michigan, I would have a connection with that school too. I am directional Michigan to the core and if you don't like it, go hang out with Billybud in the cosmopolitan town of Pensacola.

Seriously, though. I understand your angst against the three Michigan MAC schools. It's a lose/lose situation. You beat them, it's what you are supposed to do. You lose? It makes you look bad. You do have to fill a home schedule, though. If you can get Maryland and Rutgers to do a home and home (or even a 2 for 1), you do it. You have to have some easier teams if you are trying to build your program, though. Can't all be P5 schools while in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I'm not as opposed to MAC/Sunbelt/CUSA games as you are. I would prefer them to CAA/Patriot League if we could get 1-offs. As for UMass /BC I think it would be great to schedule each each year with a trophy for the winner. Sort of a "Big 3" of New England like the Little 3 or the CBB or the Commander in Chief Trophy for Armt, Navy and Air Force.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
for context, here is UConn's future non conference commitments: UConn Huskies Football Schedules | Future Schedules

2017: Holy Cross, @ UVA, Missouri, Boston College (Fenway)

2018: Rhode Island, @ Boise State, @ Syracuse, UMass

2019: Wagner, Illinois, @ Indiana, @ UMass (Gillette)

2020: UMass, @ Illinois, Indiana

2021: Holy Cross, @ UMass (Gillette)

2022: @ NC State, @ Boston College

2023: NC State, Boston College

TBA: vs Tennessee, @ Tennessee

Now, what would I like to see in future games? I want to continue to hit areas that we recruit regularly. Our conference is actually somewhat of a benefit in this regard, providing us an annual game in Florida as well as Texas and we also play in Pennsylvania and Maryland with regularity.

G5's I'd be excited to see a H/H series with:

Air Force
Appalachian State
Army
Charlotte
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee
FAU
FIU
Georgia Southern
Liberty
UMass
Rice
Western Kentucky
Boise State
Fresno State
Wyoming
Hawaii
San Diego State
BYU
UNLV
Troy (as long as Lashlee is here and recruiting Alabama)
South Alabama (as long as Lashlee is here and recruiting Alabama)

P5's:

Everyone (lol)

but specifically ones that are probably attainable..

Rutgers
Syracuse
West Virginia
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Wake Forest
NC State
Duke
South Carolina
Kentucky
Miami (FL)
Missouri (staff seems to be sniffing around in the Show Me State for prospects and Mizzou is a nice name thats a winnable game)
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota
Oregon St
Washington St
California
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Baylor
Auburn (pipe dream because of Benedict/Lashlee)

Teams I would take a 1 off with on the road and still be excited:

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Clemson
Florida State
Alabama
LSU
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington

I understand why we don't pursue the one off "pay" games but man it would be really cool to see the Huskies on the field in one of those big boy games. Even just being at the Mizzou game which is clearly a step below the ones I mentioned above was really cool to see. Plus those games are likely to be on a major network and receive considerably more hype nationally than some of the other games we have scheduled.

Something for fans to also keep in mind- its only getting more and more expensive to have these "buy" games, especially as a G5. You're seeing a lot of the lower and mid tier P5's agree to H/H and 2-1 series with G5's that you normally wouldn't expect to see. Recent examples include Syracuse scheduling H/H games with WMU & 2-1 with Liberty, Wazzu H/H with Houston, Utah H/H with Wyoming, UCLA H/H with SDSU, BC H/H with NMSU, NIU, etc and more. As a G5 program, I look to the ideal scheduling model to be East Carolina's non conference schedule annually. Every year its 2 or 3 P5's with a FCS and if necessary a solid G5 team. Helps prepare them for conference, helps sell season tickets, and helps in recruiting knowing you are going to be playing these teams. I'm curious to see which connections Benedict can use to assist in future scheduling. The last I had heard from someone in the AD, the Tennessee series has not been formally cancelled and still is being worked on. If Benedict can finalize dates for that he'll be a hero. Regardless, don't turn your noses at H/H series with some of the upper echelon G5's. I know I'll be in Boise for our game next year and some of those teams are very very good.

Reaction Score
for context, here is UConn's future non conference commitments: UConn Huskies Football Schedules | Future Schedules

Now, what would I like to see in future games? I want to continue to hit areas that we recruit regularly. Our conference is actually somewhat of a benefit in this regard, providing us an annual game in Florida as well as Texas and we also play in Pennsylvania and Maryland with regularity.

Air Force
Appalachian State
Army
Charlotte
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee
FAU
FIU
Georgia Southern
Liberty
UMass
Rice
Western Kentucky
Boise State
Fresno State
Wyoming
Hawaii
San Diego State
BYU
UNLV

P5's:

Everyone (lol)

Rutgers
Syracuse
West Virginia
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Wake Forest
NC State
Duke
South Carolina
Kentucky
Miami (FL)
Missouri (staff seems to be sniffing around in the Show Me State for prospects and Mizzou is a nice name thats a winnable game)
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota
Oregon St
Washington St
California
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Baylor

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Clemson
Florida State
Alabama
LSU
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington

I understand why we don't pursue the one off "pay" games but man it would be really cool to see the Huskies on the field in one of those big boy games. Even just being at the Mizzou game which is clearly a step below the ones I mentioned above was really cool to see. Plus those games are likely to be on a major network and receive considerably more hype nationally than some of the other games we have scheduled.

Something for fans to also keep in mind- its only getting more and more expensive to have these "buy" games, especially as a G5. You're seeing a lot of the lower and mid tier P5's agree to H/H and 2-1 series with G5's that you normally wouldn't expect to see. Recent examples include Syracuse scheduling H/H games with WMU & 2-1 with Liberty, Wazzu H/H with Houston, Utah H/H with Wyoming, UCLA H/H with SDSU, BC H/H with NMSU, NIU, etc and more. As a G5 program, I look to the ideal scheduling model to be East Carolina's non conference schedule annually. Every year its 2 or 3 P5's with a FCS and if necessary a solid G5 team. Helps prepare them for conference, helps sell season tickets, and helps in recruiting knowing you are going to be playing these teams. I'm curious to see which connections Benedict can use to assist in future scheduling. The last I had heard from someone in the AD, the Tennessee series has not been formally cancelled and still is being worked on. If Benedict can finalize dates for that he'll be a hero. Regardless, don't turn your noses at H/H series with some of the upper echelon G5's. I know I'll be in Boise for our game next year and some of those teams are very very good.

Wagner plays football?

Reaction Score
Those games would be great but do those schools want to schedule us? Aren't the P5 schools making a big push toward scheduling only P5 opponents?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To put a focus on this in the here and now, the kids are recruiting this fall will see that UConn has 6 open non conference slots on the schedule for anyone from the 2017 recruiting class that redshirts and 4 open slots for anyone that does not redshirt (or graduates in 4 years).

Of course it is not easy to schedule P-5 games, but we have to try and at this point, despite the gloom and doom other schools are having some success with scheduling.

P5 games in the mid-Atlantic are ideal for us from a recruiting standpoint. Lets get Maryland on the list for 2020 and 2021. The Randy Bowl Series 2.0. The problem with Maryland in 2020 is that it would give us three B1G games that season, something the B1G and UConn may not like to see. Maybe we could bump Indiana or Illinois.

Reaction Score
I expect us to play Auburn... in time. Doubtful a H/H I wouldn't mind traveling there for a long weekend!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All P5 with the exception of Boise who is obviously a bigtime opponent for the next few years is sweet. Might be tough keep that up as the P5 distance themselves more though. Good news is the Big10 has designated us as a P5 OOC team. I'd like to see a basketball-football agreement with MSU or Purdue.

Reaction Score
I expect us to play Auburn... in time. Doubtful a H/H I wouldn't mind traveling there for a long weekend!

Better plan on spending a week. If you are coming from CT it would take a long weekend just to get to Auburn and back.

Reaction Score
NEBRASKA....Home and home in "19" & "20" ...........To heck with the Civil Conflict, we can have The Corn Hole Bowl! ;)
That's right THE HUSKIES vs THE HUSKERS ...In these parts it could be known as Rhett vs Red Pants...Creating rivalry...As intended. :D

Reaction Score
To put a focus on this in the here and now, the kids are recruiting this fall will see that UConn has 6 open non conference slots on the schedule for anyone from the 2017 recruiting class that redshirts and 4 open slots for anyone that does not redshirt (or graduates in 4 years).

Of course it is not easy to schedule P-5 games, but we have to try and at this point, despite the gloom and doom other schools are having some success with scheduling.

P5 games in the mid-Atlantic are ideal for us from a recruiting standpoint. Lets get Maryland on the list for 2020 and 2021. The Randy Bowl Series 2.0. The problem with Maryland in 2020 is that it would give us three B1G games that season, something the B1G and UConn may not like to see. Maybe we could bump Indiana or Illinois.

Please don't bump Illinois, I've been waiting on that for years. Indiana is close too, so I don't wanna see that go either. Selfish of me I know.

Reaction Score
Better plan on spending a week. If you are coming from CT it would take a long weekend just to get to Auburn and back.

Moved to Birmingham from CT 30 years ago. I go back and forth between CT and BHM at least twice a year. Have been to about a dozen games at AU, including the first Iron Bowl played at Jordan/Hare. Auburn is a pretty small town about a 2 hour drive from BHM and about 1 hour drive from Montgomery. It is actually closer to Columbus, GA than either of those two.

The best flights are between BDL and BHM with connections through Atlanta or Charlotte but then on game day it can be a 3-4 hour drive to AU. Most hotel rooms near Auburn, as faraway as Alexander City, are reserved by season ticket holders so most visitors have to stay in the BHM, Montgomery or Columbus areas. From the time you leave the stadium, after a sold out game, expect 5 hours back to BHM.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
2018 is a brutal home slate. Basically selling tickets around Cincinnati and Temple.

I know everyone knows our situation, but man, once every while it comes back up and smacks you in the face.

Reaction Score
2018 is a brutal home slate. Basically selling tickets around Cincinnati and Temple.

I know everyone knows our situation, but man, once every while it comes back up and smacks you in the face.

The BC game should definitely have been on our home field, not Boston. WTF!!!

C

Chief00

The no thanks list:

I think ZooMass is fine.

C

Chief00

Air Force
Appalachian State
Army
Charlotte
Old Dominion
Middle Tennessee
FAU
FIU
Georgia Southern
Liberty
UMass
Rice
Western Kentucky
Boise State
Fresno State
Wyoming
Hawaii
San Diego State
BYU
UNLV

P5's:

Everyone (lol)

Rutgers
Syracuse
West Virginia
Maryland
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
North Carolina
Wake Forest
NC State
Duke
South Carolina
Kentucky
Miami (FL)
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota
Oregon St
Washington St
California
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Baylor

Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Clemson
Florida State
Alabama
LSU
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Washington

I would like to see TN in 2018 and 2021. Maybe move URI to another year.

Reaction Score
I would like to see TN in 2018 and 2021. Maybe move URI to another year.
They have been moving that game for what feels like a decade now. I wouldn't be surprised if we never play them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom