Future Lineup | The Boneyard

Future Lineup

Reaction Score
Based on Hurleys postgame comments, seems to me that a very likely starting lineup down the road some is going to be:
Cole
JB
Dre
Whaley
Sanogo
It’s absolutely insane and eye opening just how deep we are on the bench. Gaffney, BA, Akok, Martin, Polley, and Carlton could be and probably would be starters on 75% of d1 schools!
Also, Akok coming back and getting healthy could potentially get him back in the starting lineup too but not sure who you take out. Hate to say it but Whaley may be relegated to 6th man down the line this season if/when that happens.

Exciting times for the huskies!!

Reaction Score
I don't see how we dont't play 10 guys when Akok is back. Obviously some will log more minutes than others but crazy deep for once. GREAT problem to have for a change. I mean who sits out of these guys below?

Whaley
Sanogo
Akok
Polley
Martin
Jackson
Bouknight
Adams
Gaffney
Cole

Reaction Score
I don't see how we dont't play 10 guys when Akok is back. Obviously some will log more minutes than others but crazy deep for once. GREAT problem to have for a change. I mean who sits out of these guys below?

Whaley
Sanogo
Akok
Polley
Martin
Jackson
Bouknight
Adams
Gaffney
Cole

verbatim I just said this in another thread. I agree 10 guys will be our rotation, will allow us to play the kind of hard D DH wants. Carlton seems like the odd man out right now, but there obviously for foul trouble, freshman growing pains, etc.

Reaction Score
should be:
cole
bouk
martin / dre
polley
whaley /sanogo

with dre and sanogo usurping martin and whaley as the season goes on, assuming they can address key weaknesses (sanogo: perimeter defense, dre: shooting).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Based on Hurleys postgame comments, seems to me that a very likely starting lineup down the road some is going to be:
Cole
JB
Dre
Whaley
Sanogo
It’s absolutely insane and eye opening just how deep we are on the bench. Gaffney, BA, Akok, Martin, Polley, and Carlton could be and probably would be starters on 75% of d1 schools!
Also, Akok coming back and getting healthy could potentially get him back in the starting lineup too but not sure who you take out. Hate to say it but Whaley may be relegated to 6th man down the line this season if/when that happens.

Considering his post game comments specifically mentioned Cole needing to get others more involved and to get them their shots and cited all the guards' inability to be disruptors, I don't think the PG spot is locked down right now. Hurley later mentioned Jackson being a disruptor in the second half.

Looks like Sanogo has definitely made himself the #2 big in the lineup after Whaley. Specifically mentioned moving Whaley to the 4 and starting Sanogo at the five as a possible future lineup.

Hurley also mentioned he was unable to consider Jackson or Adams to start due to their preseason injuries and where they were getting back in to the flow.

One thing we did see was 9 players competing for minutes with Josh looking to be first on chopping block as Martin returns tomorrow and Akok in the near future.

Reaction Score
Cole
JB
Dre
Whaley
Sanogo

Coach has said multiple times Whaley is better as a 5 than 4. And we didn't play a second of them together in a game where we were experimenting with lineups. I can't imagine that starting lineup is in our future

Reaction Score
Coach has said multiple times Whaley is better as a 5 than 4. And we didn't play a second of them together in a game where we were experimenting with lineups. I can't imagine that starting lineup is in our future
You can’t use last nights game, where CCSUs tallest player was 6’7, as your main reason for them not playing together in the future vs more traditional teams. Clearly there was no reason or need to play 2 big 4/5 type guys together last night. Last nights opponent was a rare matchup vs a very small team.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Whaley
Sanogo
Akok
Polley
Martin
Jackson
Bouknight
Adams
Gaffney
Cole
Yea. You would think Akok may be the odd man out as we very slowly reinvolve him but this teams biggest weakness is defense and he’s probably the best defensive weapon in the conference. He has to play. It’s going to be hard to juggle these minutes.

Reaction Score
Yea. You would think Akok may be the odd man out as we very slowly reinvolve him but this teams biggest weakness is defense and he’s probably the best defensive weapon in the conference. He has to play. It’s going to be hard to juggle these minutes.
The good thing is Polley is healthy and looked very active out there. With Polley and Martin the 4 is good until Akok is back.

Reaction Score
With respect to the variables, the comments to this point are remarkably on target, I think. I like the OP's inclusion of our three superstar candidates as likely eventual starters (Bouk, Dre, Sanogo). Those three are going to play. Whether Whaley remains a starter depends a bit on whether Martin takes over at the 3. If he does, then Dre is the 4, and Whaley becomes 4/5 backup. For me, it all comes down to playing your best, however you have to move them around.

Reaction Score
Cole
JB
Dre
Whaley
Sanogo

I am the worst at jumping quickly to conclusions. But this year, despite Covid, I am just gonna lay back and enjoy this team watching their chemistry come together.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson is going to be the 6th man all year.

He may play 30 minutes in big games, but I think Hurley likes the idea of bringing his energy off the bench.

Jackson as a first guy off the bench to fill the 2/3/4 spot could make for electric entrances. He can still get 25 mpg doing it.

In a normal year, you can get a huge crowd reaction as he enters the game first dead ball after the 16 minute TV TO.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaley and sanogo will likely continue to split minutes at center. There's literally zero reason to play them together, especially with Martin coming back, who is a capable rebounder and will spend time at the 4. Not to mention Akok, who might be our best pure 4 by seasons end.

Reaction Score
Jackson as a first guy off the bench to fill the 2/3/4 spot could make for electric entrances. He can still get 25 mpg doing it.

In a normal year, you can get a huge crowd reaction as he enters the game first dead ball after the 16 minute TV TO.
I still think Adams is the first guy off the bench to fill the 2 spot. If Martin doesn't start then he's before Jackson. Akok could also vie for the 3 spot or the 4. Jackson could be the first one called to replace Bouk or for defensive assignment.

Damn I confused now, too many options!

Reaction Score
Considering his post game comments specifically mentioned Cole needing to get others more involved and to get them their shots and cited all the guards' inability to be disruptors, I don't think the PG spot is locked down right now. Hurley later mentioned Jackson being a disruptor in the second half.

Looks like Sanogo has definitely made himself the #2 big in the lineup after Whaley. Specifically mentioned moving Whaley to the 4 and starting Sanogo at the five as a possible future lineup.

Hurley also mentioned he was unable to consider Jackson or Adams to start due to their preseason injuries and where they were getting back in to the flow.

One thing we did see was 9 players competing for minutes with Josh looking to be first on chopping block as Martin returns tomorrow and Akok in the near future.
I said it yesterday that i think the eventual starting 5 will be Polley,Whalley,Sanogo,Bouk and Cole and Hurley seems to be going in that direction. I think we could see a 5 off the bench of TMart, AJax,Akok,Adams,Gaffney. This lineup up could be pretty good defensively and pressure opposing teams relentlessly. That frontline although undersized is athletic and fast.

Reaction Score
Why are some of you hell bent on starting Whaley and Sanogo together. Those are our 5’s imo. The only time we may see them together is if we’re being abused on the boards. Keep them separated. The offense will benefit greatly from this. Polley, Martin, Akok, and Jackson can all man the 4 spot

Reaction Score
The lack of practice time will keep sanogo coming off the bench for the time being. Same can be said for Jackson. Eventually I really like @UCPharma11 lineup.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s really hard to speculate. Martin hasn’t played. Akok isn’t back yet.

Hurley mentioned disruptors. Defense matters. Jackson was the most disruptive guy we had on the defensive end. Bouknight was actually quite good. Cole and Gaff, meh. Polley just ok. Whaley is great on ball screen hedges, and is good inside against small bigs. He gets dominated by bigger guys. Adams gets after people as well.

For now, I’d like to what Martin brings. Whaley needs a PF who can board and handle bigger players. Akok would be excellent in that role. Polley is not a compliment to Whaley at that spot.

I‘m encouraged that Dan saw the two PG lineups as among our least effective. Aside from one of them starting on the bench, Polley is the next guy out of the starting lineup in my opinion. Situational play, I could see us pressing and running with Gaff, Bouk, Jackson, Martin/Adams, Whaley. Half court I’d want Cole, Bouk, Adams/Martin, Polley, Sanogo.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Akok is a rim protector, that would make him a 5 not a 4.

You’re only talking one end of the floor. There is nothing stopping Hurley from treating Akok like a 5 on defensive end and Whaley a 4. And then vice versa on offensive end.

I mean this crap isn’t written in stone is it? If you are a rim protector on one end you have to be a back to basket lane player on other?

I’d argue otherwise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom