Future Fans | The Boneyard

Future Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like it might take a while to reload the fan base after reading Diaco's post game quotes on continuing to hold scores low (obviously good for the defense) except for the reason that UConn can't score themselves. Kind of sounds like he is anticipating the same level of offense next season. Scary thought.

Reaction Score
Your not going to build a fan base with a losing record and your not going to attract prize recruits losing bowl games to CUSA teams 16-10. Give the defense a lot of credit. They were on the field way too long and put in some pretty crappy field positions to start a couple times like the only TD Marshal scored. They have to figure out a way to get that offense to put points on the board plain and simple. The D is holding up their end of the deal. Also, nice(but lucky) field goal by Puyol.

Reaction Score
Seems like it might take a while to reload the fan base after reading Diaco's post game quotes on continuing to hold scores low (obviously good for the defense) except for the reason that UConn can't score themselves. Kind of sounds like he is anticipating the same level of offense next season. Scary thought.
Fans will show up to watch a team win plain and simple. I went to a LOT of games Edsall coached in where this was his theory. You can score all the points you want.if you lose week in and week out...fans stop showing up.

Reaction Score
Fans will show up to watch a team win plain and simple. I went to a LOT of games Edsall coached in where this was his theory. You can score all the points you want.if you lose week in and week out...fans stop showing up.

And if you don't win, you better at least make it an exciting game.

Unless we can make a living out of winning 16-13 games 10 out of 13 games a year, we're not going to build a fanbase.

The quickest way to lose interest is to play 1940's football and lose games where it doesn't even look like you're trying to win.

Reaction Score

Unless we can make a living out of winning 16-13 games 10 out of 13 games a year, we're not going to build a fanbase.

The quickest way to lose interest is to play 1940's football and lose games where it doesn't even look like you're trying to win.
I guess you weren't around for the Edsall era huh.....

Reaction Score

Here's an idea...if you are gonna sit here and make post after post slamming the football program why don't you go back to your precious basketball boards.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"couple" of missed tackles? The missed tackles were too many to count, and were the story of the game.

Reaction Score
BugsyCT said:
"couple" of missed tackles? The missed tackles were too many to count, and were the story of the game.

Not really the story of the game. Only Marshall TD was a 20-yard drive. Missed tackles certainly prolonged possessions and led to a couple FGs, but our O didn't get any deep drives other than the TD and there's not a lot of reason to think more time of possession would have been the difference. Maybe if we could have pinned them deep one of those times and gotten a short field, but I don't think missed tackles let them out of jail so much as soft defense.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Would we rather be like Tulsa? 6-6 and allows 38.5 points per game? I would think that kind of defensive ineptitude would be worse than what we have.
Just ask some, but they're playing an ACC opponent not a conference USA opponent

Reaction Score
Serious question. Would we rather be like Tulsa? 6-6 and allows 38.5 points per game? I would think that kind of defensive ineptitude would be worse than what we have.

Pretty much sums up why I have confidence in HCBD. The defense is there for us, while other teams struggle to find any adjustment or ability to maintain a steady game defensively like Tulsa. We just need to put 100% attention to offense in the offseason and recruiting. I think Coach Poindexter is doing a great overall job on Defense (along with Diaco).

Reaction Score
Just ask some, but they're playing an ACC opponent not a conference USA opponent
True but VT is 6-6 versus a 9-3 Marshall. Maybe they wanted high scoring in Beamers last game. And it was a shoot out

Reaction Score
Diaco should read the message board and realize he has an elite QB and should have much more of a vertical passing game.

When Defenses stop focusing on working to keep the points down, that would be interesting. On the other hand, desmondconner2:42pm via Twitter for iPhone shared the following:

"We just didn't execute in the game Thats it. We need more points, more yards, we get it."
-#UConn Coach Bob Diaco

Reaction Score

WOW, where to begin?: The fact that Coach Diaco SEEMS to be righting the ship after the Pasqualoni tidal wave has actually spurred interest among people that I've spoken with, both in my social circle, among family members, & those that I've encountered in my business environment. Instead of comments like "Why are you wasting $$$ to watch that lousy dumpster fire?" I'm getting serious interest of people who want to go to games & join me in tailgating pre-game.
As for "anticipating the same level of offense next season" that's not what he said. Over the weekend he was quoted that, for those expecting a high powered passing offense, it's not his style. Under his regime, UConn will play smash mouth, ball control football. It's in his DNA. That's fine with me as long as there is the ability to pass the ball. Once again, it all comes down to improved line play. UConn must establish dominance at the point of attack & control the offensive line of scrimmage. For those of us old enough to remember the years of the Pittsburgh Steelers winning 4 straight Super Bowls, the o-line was a cast of All Stars (as was most of the team). They not only could pass protect, allowing time for Bradshaw to find & pass to Swann & Stallworth, they could also open gaping holes to allow both Franco Harris & Rocky Blier to be 1,000 yard rushers in the same season, while being spelled for a few downs by "Frenchy" Fuqua. It was smash mouth football at its zenith &, I believe, it is Coach Diaco's grand vision & plan for the Huskies. Again, it's in his DNA, & all it takes to see that is this short history: Coach Diaco is a former player & disciple of Hayden Fry. When Coach Fry was hired in Iowa City, he decided to clean house & make sweeping changes in the losing atmosphere. His first pronouncement was that he was going to model the Hawkeyes after the Steelers, even going so far as to change the school colors to Black & Gold. Iowa has never wavered from that style ever since. Former Husky linebacker Kirk Ferentz has gotten them to the Rose Bowl this season. If Coach Diaco can deliver on Hayden Fry's legacy, I'm "10 toes in."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
WOW, where to begin?: The fact that Coach Diaco SEEMS to be righting the ship after the Pasqualoni tidal wave has actually spurred interest among people that I've spoken with, both in my social circle, among family members, & those that I've encountered in my business environment. Instead of comments like "Why are you wasting $$$ to watch that lousy dumpster fire?" I'm getting serious interest of people who want to go to games & join me in tailgating pre-game.
As for "anticipating the same level of offense next season" that's not what he said. Over the weekend he was quoted that, for those expecting a high powered passing offense, it's not his style. Under his regime, UConn will play smash mouth, ball control football. It's in his DNA. That's fine with me as long as there is the ability to pass the ball. Once again, it all comes down to improved line play. UConn must establish dominance at the point of attack & control the offensive line of scrimmage. For those of us old enough to remember the years of the Pittsburgh Steelers winning 4 straight Super Bowls, the o-line was a cast of All Stars (as was most of the team). They not only could pass protect, allowing time for Bradshaw to find & pass to Swann & Stallworth, they could also open gaping holes to allow both Franco Harris & Rocky Blier to be 1,000 yard rushers in the same season, while being spelled for a few downs by "Frenchy" Fuqua. It was smash mouth football at its zenith &, I believe, it is Coach Diaco's grand vision & plan for the Huskies. Again, it's in his DNA, & all it takes to see that is this short history: Coach Diaco is a former player & disciple of Hayden Fry. When Coach Fry was hired in Iowa City, he decided to clean house & make sweeping changes in the losing atmosphere. His first pronouncement was that he was going to model the Hawkeyes after the Steelers, even going so far as to change the school colors to Black & Gold. Iowa has never wavered from that style ever since. Former Husky linebacker Kirk Ferentz has gotten them to the Rose Bowl this season. If Coach Diaco can deliver on Hayden Fry's legacy, I'm "10 toes in."
Completely agree that his vision for us is Iowa.

Reaction Score
Your not going to build a fan base with a losing record and your not going to attract prize recruits losing bowl games to CUSA teams 16-10. Give the defense a lot of credit. They were on the field way too long and put in some pretty crappy field positions to start a couple times like the only TD Marshal scored. They have to figure out a way to get that offense to put points on the board plain and simple. The D is holding up their end of the deal. Also, nice(but lucky) field goal by Puyol.
Weyou, you've been on the board for some time, & I'm going to cut you some slack. Coach D. is already building back the fan base & recruiting seems to be on a surging uptick. Pasqualoni left a cataclysmic mess to clean up after. Diaco went to work cleaning house: a return to improved strength & conditioning, better nutrition, improved game play. The signs are there. As far as recruiting is concerned, he has expanded the scope, delving into Texas for example. The type of players that he's both recruiting & receiving commitments from is much better than in the recent past. The depth chart is improving.
It takes time to clean up the aftermath of a hurricane & the previous regime left the program looking like New Haven post "Gloria" (which cancelled the UConn-Yale game that season).

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
We should have destroyed Marshall. Our O-line sucked, our backfield couldn't find a hole in a pasta strainer. Plain and simple: UConn's offense didn't show up. Needs major improvement for next year!

Reaction Score
Defense does not win championships with below average offenses. Never has (in the past 20 years), never will. Why are coaches so afraid to take chances...5 punt returns in a 13-game season!!! Keeping a solid D and cranking up the O don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom