Furman post-mortem | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Furman post-mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Brimah's lack of lower body strength has hurt him a lot. He can't move guys around in the pain right now or get position for rebounds and its painful to watch. Enoch, Facey, and Miller will help on the glass though so we shouldn't be too worried about that. Let's just hope Brimah continues to finish and block shots.

I agree to a point he has to be stronger in certain situations, but he is plenty strong to win in certain scenario's also. Take for instance yesterday he was on the weak side alone with Miller (i think) shooting a short jumper opposite and he was on the low side but instead of reading a guy coming down to block him out he jumped to the ball and was stopped short of his goal and never close to the rebound. If he was the person who created the contact, beat him to that spot, he would have been plenty "strong" enough to have been the winner of the rebound and put back easily. So while he isn't a weight lifter, the natural instincts of being the initiator of contact would easily get him more rebounds than he gets. Reality is he doesn't understand that at all. How many times do you seem him flatfooted reaching from behind a defender rather than having position. Reading the hooter and the rebound is part of being good, no doubt. Having said that, Facey still does the same thing. Because they can jump they do just that lose more than they win. Faceys instincts to the ball are even better so he wins some, but if he blocked out he'd be a monster on the boards in minimal minutes. Still like what he's accomplished coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
I agree and it preserves the sheer bias and lack of objectivity. I will lay off the Brimah stuff. I've made my accurate points.

even if you don't use it, the ignore feature here is a very useful for posters like jsm and actually makes browsing the forum more pleasant by not being subjected to their (trolls) terrible posts.

Reaction Score
i love brimah, it's hard for me to criticize him, even when he exposes little faults.

daniel hamilton had a quiet game, but i looooved some of the plays he made. he consistently has a higher percentage of "wow" plays than anyone else on the team, including both of those long outlet passes in this game. such an amazing asset to the team!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident in my assessment based off 20+ years of my being a college basketball nerd. I like our team a lot but I'd love it if we could trade Gibbs and Miller for a Dunn or Hield.

I'm just impressed at how incredibly specific your analysis of hypothetical games at the end of the season we haven't watched in a bracket that doesn't exist are.

I agree and it preserves the sheer bias and lack of objectivity. I will lay off the Brimah stuff. I've made my accurate points.

You aren't the only person to criticize Brimah's play, though you do it in an incredibly obnoxious way where you bring it up even when it's not mentioned, but you are completely out on a limb when you attack him as a person. He's a great guy.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Like UConn? Ok punk.

I think Brimah blows and hate his antics, hope I'm proven wrong.

I really don't insult people on the internet very often, but if you're not a troll or clinically insane, you are really stupid.

You want to bench the reigning AAC DPOY, a guy who averaged 3.5 blocks a game and scored 9 ppg on 67% shooting, for PHIL FREAKING NOLAN??? What planet do you live on? Clearly there is not enough oxygen there.

And his "antics"? What is the matter with you? He's a good kid. Ollie named him captain!

This Board would improve from your absence. Scram.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
1999 Alpha dog: Rip. But what was KEA?
2004 alpha dog: Ben or Emeka?

We have time to develop our go-to guy(s). I don't see where it can't be Purvis & Hamilton
I am not sure the "Alpha" has been clearly defined by KO. Is it the best scorer/shooter in crunch time? (Maybe Gibbs or
Miller)? Is it the penetrator/ creater who breaks down defenses and can score (Maybe Gibbs) Is it the elite defender who can also score (Maybe Purvis)? As has been said, it looks like we are going to have an enjoyable season watching this and many more
things about the team. So far they look like a TEAM of hungry huskies pulling together. The teamwork is reminiscent of how
the women's team plays so unselfishly. I don't often watch the women play but the thing I always come away with is that it is always a clinic on teamwork and hustle. Add talent and coach who is a motivator and you have an unbeatable opponent.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Funny that our "clear"alpha dog had an sub par game in the NC. Ricky was the top dog in the first half of that game and Rip in the second.
I love KEA and his FTs late in the game were huge. But you don't need one clear alpha.

Reaction Score
JSM1970 said:
Like UConn? Ok punk. I think Brimah blows and hate his antics, hope I'm proven wrong.

Garden variety troll . . .

Reaction Score
JSM1970 said:
Very fair. The forum is the best source for UConn-related info. But honestly, the bias and lack of objectivity is astonishing.

So mech irony . . .

Reaction Score
I've been so close to banning him again but figured he would just come back with a new ID and everyone would have to ignore him again. So I decided to save the boneyard some time and just let him be ignored into obscurity.
But based on this thread and many others, its pretty clear people aren't ignoring him(I've been doing it for months) and are continuing to engage him to only further muck up threads. So given that, why not just ban him? I've never seen a board with a more ass backwards approach to dealing with trolls.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But based on this thread and many others, its pretty clear people aren't ignoring him(I've been doing it for months) and are continuing to engage him to only further muck up threads. So given that, why not just ban him? I've never seen a board with a more ass backwards approach to dealing with trolls.

@jleves, I know this might be more in Tom's jurisdiction than yours, but isn't it possible to ban his IP address from accessing the webpage? Stops him from being able to create new accounts.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
@jleves, I know this might be more in Tom's jurisdiction than yours, but isn't it possible to ban his IP address from accessing the webpage? Stops him from being able to create new accounts.
It's not difficult to get a new IP if you are hell bent on getting back so it really is a time saver for people who have made the effort to ignore him. If people choose not to ignore him, or engage him that's fine.

If someone is posting just to rile people, then I'll make the effort. This one is just an idiot with nothing positive going on and wants to vent/rant but I don't get the impression he is actually trolling for responses. OCD and depression together just aren't pretty.

@temery or @Fishy can make the decision to cut him loose if they think he's gotten that bad.

Reaction Score
I apologize for the AB rants. For whatever reason that isn't good with me. I mentioned earlier I will not post negatjvely on that topic again. If I do anything I will delete my account as it is not constructive.

It's not difficult to get a new IP if you are hell bent on getting back so it really is a time saver for people who have made the effort to ignore him. If people choose not to ignore him, or engage him that's fine.

If someone is posting just to rile people, then I'll make the effort. This one is just an idiot with nothing positive going on and wants to vent/rant but I don't get the impression he is actually trolling for responses. OCD and depression together just aren't pretty.

@temery or @Fishy can make the decision to cut him loose if they think he's gotten that bad.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the attack on Brimah's character. He's a happy-go-lucky guy, good teammate, and plays with enthusiasm.

His basketball IQ hasn't progressed as we hoped it would, and his rebounding tendencies may irk us for the entirety of his 4 years here, but his "attitude" is certainly not a problem -- quite the opposite.

Reaction Score
Sorry, if I ever suggested his character as a person that is wrong from me. I don't believe that whatsoever, by all accounts he seems like a good person and plays with high energy and enthusiasm.

I don't understand the attack on Brimah's character. He's a happy-go-lucky guy, good teammate, and plays with enthusiasm.

His basketball IQ hasn't progressed as we hoped it would, and his rebounding tendencies may irk us for the entirety of his 4 years here, but his "attitude" is certainly not a problem -- quite the opposite.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

He's gone.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
IMO it is too early to get either too bullish or too bearish.
Clearly, this team is much better than last year's team and we have seen effective passing, long stretches of good defense and stretches of good perimeter shooting.
With a sample size of three games and two exhibitions, against decent but not strong competition, it is hard to definitively comment about consistency...but, we have had players look outstanding in two games and so-so in one.
AB has incrementally improved in some areas but still is weak in areas where he was weak. KF has made some good plays as well, but both have finished poorly on some plays.
Our two frosh have made some great plays and show promise, but also miss some defensive assignments.
The most promising point is that this is a TEAM and they clearly pull together.

Reaction Score
Hope it all changes and he is the guy to guard the others team big guy and score against him but for now there are match ups in the future that lead me to believe his minutes will become less and less if he does not improve.

Here's the bottom line on Brimah on defense... Post defense begins and ends with positioning. The post defender has to fight for position and deny the offensive player's ability to setup where ever they like, especially in the lane, 3 feet from the hoop. Brimah is ABYSMAL at this. I'm not sure if he's just so in love with blocked shots that he doesn't try, doesn't know that, or what. So far the bigs from small conference teams have eaten his lunch setting up wherever they like in the lane. That kind of effort on defense will be that much worse facing a quality post player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom