Funny Story | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Funny Story

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Interesting. I always thought they looked at size of bet and length of play not stack size

They do. But when you color out it is also recorded. This is one month, and I was actually even for the month.
F47A4DCC-6D9C-4235-ABED-825FC4A48740.png

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Watching some WBB shows with Geno and his 1995 team. Funny story how the women’s and men’s team chartered together to Kansas. The women won but the men lost. So the women couldn’t celebrate on the charter home, since the men lost. The last time the two teams chartered together LOL. Thinking of Calhoun on the charter home.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Swimming pool, hot tub, beach house, lake house, Manhattan apartment, pool table...

Swimming pool- yes.
Hot Tub- no.
Beach House- yes.
Lake House- yes.
Boat- triple yes.
Manhattan Apt- push.
Pool Table- yes, with caveat of owner being single or a very understanding SO. And there ought to be a mandatory bar or beer fridge in same room as table.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I can verify that's it's better to live in a lake house than have a friend who does.
Actually, yeah.

That was the one where I most paused, to the point of forgetting what it was like to live year round on a lake for 6 years.

Nowadays, I greatly enjoy my visits to my sister's home in the Finger Lakes, and they moved up there year round after they became empty nesters.

Swap out lake house, and add excellent spa bathtub, which a different sister had. During years when I visited from NYC, did dog care on their vacations, etc., I used that bath much more than anyone else ever did, and continue to miss it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, yeah.

That was the one where I most paused, to the point of forgetting what it was like to live year round on a lake for 6 years.

Nowadays, I greatly enjoy my visits to my sister's home in the Finger Lakes, and they moved up there year round after they became empty nester.

Swap out lake house, and add excellent spa bathtub, which a different sister had. During years when I visited from NYC, did dog care on vacation, etc., I used that bath much more than anyone else ever did, and continue to miss it.
:) Been living in a beautiful lakefront for 30 years and it can't be beat! Not much downside. Now if the 'lake house' was a second residence seasonal cottage...that may be a different story.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
:) Been living in a beautiful lakefront for 30 years and it can't be beat! Not much downside. Now if the 'lake house' was a second residence seasonal cottage...that may be a different story.

Is having a seasonal lake house considered better or worse than a year round lake house?

Reaction Score
Is having a seasonal lake house considered better or worse than a year round lake house?
Personally, I wouldn't want a second house to take care of, especially one you have to winterize. So, worse.

I can't think of many cons to a year-round lake house except that a lot of lake areas still have septic tanks. We just got sewers in the last 5 years. And some towns have a "view tax".

Other than that, it's just like any other house except we have an awesome lake in the back yard.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Im looking to relocate to northern Vt, NH, or Maine. I'm told each will tax the hell out of me unless I relocate full time. My plan was to buy, and operate my purchase as a short term rental until I am ready to permanently relocate. On a short term basis this may be doable. But trying to summer up north and rent the rest of the year isn't in my budget.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think that is the key. Whether beach, lake, mountain, second homes are a bitch. We finally sold one this fall and it is liberating.

Now actually residing lakefront or near the shore, that's ideal except for the cost.

Reaction Score
I think that is the key. Whether beach, lake, mountain, second homes are a bitch. We finally sold one this fall and it is liberating.

Now actually residing lakefront or near the shore, that's ideal except for the cost.
Right. The cost. Back in 1990 we paid too much for it, but still very little compared to what it's worth today. Crazy expensive to buy on or near the water.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Personally, I wouldn't want a second house to take care of, especially one you have to winterize. So, worse.

I can't think of many cons to a year-round lake house except that a lot of lake areas still have septic tanks. We just got sewers in the last 5 years. And some towns have a "view tax".

Other than that, it's just like any other house except we have an awesome lake in the back yard.

Gotcha. I would suppose the seasonal home's distance from primary home and amount of free time you'd have for upkeep, winterizing (location dependent) and stuff would factor in to the decision.

Reaction Score
Right. The cost. Back in 1990 we paid too much for it, but still very little compared to what it's worth today. Crazy expensive to buy on or near the water.
I surmise that many of the By'ers live out of state based on the screen descriptions and the content of the postings, but in doing a brief search in CT, I see they have some lakefront homes in Lebanon and in Columbia, and they don't seem totally in the stratosphere for price except for the larger, expansive ones.

I have not researched if the taxes are higher for the water views. Since they are not oceanfront, I would not think there would be a requirement for flood insurance, though places like the Great Lakes do have severe winds and storms at times.

Reaction Score
I surmise that many of the By'ers live out of state based on the screen descriptions and the content of the postings, but in doing a brief search in CT, I see they have some lakefront homes in Lebanon and in Columbia, and they don't seem totally in the stratosphere for price except for the larger, expansive ones.

I have not researched if the taxes are higher for the water views. Since they are not oceanfront, I would not think there would be a requirement for flood insurance, though places like the Great Lakes do have severe winds and storms at times.
There are a lot of lakefronts that need serious updating or are downright falling down. Those may be the ones that are affordable. Anything livable is going to be priced high. Because they can get it.

I'm on Middle Bolton Lake in Vernon. BTW Columbia Lake is beautiful.

No flood insurance required here. A lot of lakefronts are on a downward slope, although mine's not and water never gets anywhere near the house.

Reaction Score
Im looking to relocate to northern Vt, NH, or Maine. I'm told each will tax the hell out of me unless I relocate full time. My plan was to buy, and operate my purchase as a short term rental until I am ready to permanently relocate. On a short term basis this may be doable. But trying to summer up north and rent the rest of the year isn't in my budget.
A lot of places with second home owners have a higher tax basis for the seasonal people...easy to do since seasonal people don't vote...Our Vt property taxes are substantially higher than if I was a full time resident. Also, VT has a pretty substantial state income tax if you are a resident. So in Vt, lower property taxes, but significant state income tax burden for residents

I love VT but NH is very similar....except they don't have a state income tax if that matters to you.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Why would they tax you differently? In NH there is no income tax. Property tax will be very high. Vermont property tax varies quite a bit by town, we paid just over $2k in Rochester, but a place like Stowe would be high. Highly recommend Brandon as an up and coming town in Vermont. Vermont has a graduated income tax. Maine income tax rates seem fairly high too. Don't know anything about property tax there.

The main tax cost of snow-birding would tend to be property tax on two homes. Income tax would be split based on time in each state. NH would be a bad place to snow-bird from. I've been considering whether I want to spend bigger money to retire to the MA coast (Cape maybe) or to get a smaller place and also something like a condo in New Orleans for winter. Will need to see where my daughter ends up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There are a lot of lakefronts that need serious updating or are downright falling down. Those may be the ones that are affordable. Anything livable is going to be priced high. Because they can get it.

I'm on Middle Bolton Lake in Vernon. BTW Columbia Lake is beautiful.

No flood insurance required here. A lot of lakefronts are on a downward slope, although mine's not and water never gets anywhere near the house.

Wow, you aren't far from where I grew up in Manchester. Drove by lower Bolton 1000 times.

Reaction Score
What happens a lot around here is people don't ever leave. The house ends up with an elderly person who hasn't taken care of the house for 20 years. Then they die, someone new buys it for a high but doable price because it's a mess, and then they renovate it.

Reaction Score
Wow, you aren't far from where I grew up in Manchester. Drove by lower Bolton 1000 times.
I have driven by that spot 1,000,000 times. LOL. You know where Geno lives, don't you?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What happens a lot around here is people don't ever leave. The house ends up with an elderly person who hasn't taken care of the house for 20 years. Then they die, someone new buys it for a high but doable price because it's a mess, and then they renovate it.

I have family up in CT and that's what they did for their lake house. Found a bit of a beater and spent 1-2 years rehabbing it and making it (more) livable. I think they are still on septic. There were certain requirements/code they had to adhere to in order for it to be classified as a seasonal home. One was they couldn't increase footprint on the base level, so they built it up and put a second story loft on to it.

Reaction Score
I have family up in CT and that's what they did for their lake house. Found a bit of a beater and spent 1-2 years rehabbing it and making it (more) livable. I think they are still on septic. There were certain requirements/code they had to adhere to in order for it to be classified as a seasonal home. One was they couldn't increase footprint on the base level, so they built it up and put a second story loft on to it.
@Chin Diesel
when we bought in 1990, it could be called a "first home" type small ranch. 10 years ago we gutted it and renovated, adding square feet and a loft. Had to move out for 6 months. Our contractor was fantastic. We had to jump through some hoops (and spend mucho $$$) to get it done but now it's a pretty awesome place.

Reaction Score
Chief's gonna be mad at me for derailing his post.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only Chief can take a publicly aired story and slowly absorb it like he was there.
Watching some WBB shows with Geno and his 1995 team.
His first sentence makes if pretty clear that he was watching the Undefeated series. Unless you thought that mid-season Geno and the 1995 sat down to watch some WBB shows which Chief.

FWIW, I love these shows. They are hysterical. Just a group of friends getting together. Some funny stuff, like Kara Wolters using tanning products before TV games and Jamelle Elliot picking up her (orange) towel and going what the (heck?), this ain't my towel. That's great stuff.

Or Nykesha Sales reaction when Geno told her she was playing point after Jen Rizzotti picked up her 2nd 1str half foul "What?! You know I ain't got a left hand!" Really funny stuff.

Reaction Score
His first sentence makes if pretty clear that he was watching the Undefeated series. Unless you thought that mid-season Geno and the 1995 sat down to watch some WBB shows which Chief.

FWIW, I love these shows. They are hysterical. Just a group of friends getting together. Some funny stuff, like Kara Wolters using tanning products before TV games and Jamelle Elliot picking up her (orange) towel and going what the (heck?), this ain't my towel. That's great stuff.

Or Nykesha Sales reaction when Geno told her she was playing point after Jen Rizzotti picked up her 2nd 1str half foul "What?! You know I ain't got a left hand!" Really funny stuff.
I agree, it was entertaining!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom