Fundamentals | The Boneyard

Fundamentals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This team lacks sound fundamentals. 8-20 from free throw line if you count Hamilton's third attempt as a miss 40%. 16 turnovers. 38% shooting from 2's and 11% shooting from 3's. You cant beat someone shooting like this or with this many turnovers. Its bad. Our starting 2/3 guard/forward shouldnt be 50% from line for year.

pj

Reaction Score
With Boatright out injured most of the game, we just nearly beat a team that whipped Kansas by 25, on a poor shooting night. The players must be doing some of the fundamentals right.

Reaction Score
Because of Facey and Hamilton we are rebounding much better. Better teams are just going to pass around Brimah when he does his jump to the sky routine and leaves backdoor open like Louisvlle exposed last year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They entered the day shooting 74% from the line.

Reaction Score
They entered the day shooting 74% from the line.

that's fine, but what exactly have they shot from the free throw line in, let's see, situations where the game can be won or pressure transferred onto the opposing team to make a 3 to tie the game....for example, the Texas game, the Yale game, and today's game?

If my math is correct, I believe that number is well below 50%, and that is not how you win close games, and so far this season, this squad does not possess the ice water in their veins when it matters most

Reaction Score
Temple missed the front end of two 1 and 1s late in regulation, and DHam made his two. So Temple could have said the same thing if they lost. But they overcame it, so the misses will be forgotten.

The misses hurt against Yale and Texas, but we had chances to overcome it. Boat was 3-4 against Texas, missing the last one, and we gave up 5 points on D on the last two possessions. And I'd like our team to not give up an open 3 to Yale in a perfect world.

You don't remember the missed FTs if you do other things right.

Reaction Score
I disagree about not remembering missed FT's if you do the other things right, because, inevitably, shortcomings that are ignored, regardless of outcome, eventually burn you in the long run.
now, maybe no one talks about it happening if you win, but that is a luxury afforded to success, which in key moments this season, so far, had eluded this team.
ignoring flaws now virtually guarantees future failure if not corrected...it is funny how, in practically every sport, fundamental basics usually guarantee success/winning

zls44

Reaction Score
If you make 75%, you drastically increase your chances to win, making situations where you "need" to hit "clutch" FT needless.

They have three games where they were bad at the line. Guess what! They lost! Not because they were "bad late at the line"- because they were bad all game at the line.

Reaction Score
uconn13 said:
I disagree about not remembering missed FT's if you do the other things right, because, inevitably, shortcomings that are ignored, regardless of outcome, eventually burn you in the long run. now, maybe no one talks about it happening if you win, but that is a luxury afforded to success, which in key moments this season, so far, had eluded this team. ignoring flaws now virtually guarantees future failure if not corrected...it is funny how, in practically every sport, fundamental basics usually guarantee success/winning

Well, yeah. I don't mean forgotten by the coaching staff and team, I mean by fans and by history. When I researched last year to find what free throws we missed in pressure situations in the NCAAs there was really only one - Bazz against Iowa State and I didn't even remember it. I'm trying to remember clutch FTs we missed late in a big game and won anyway, and I can't really think of any, and I'm sure it has happened a lot. Missed foul shots are part of the game - especially in a situation like today where you are asking a guy who hasn't taken any pressure ones in college to hit them (Boat has to make his, but he's done so in the past, and his 3-4 against Texas is good enough if we do something else right). It isn't like they don't practice them are aren't coached that they are important. They'll practice them more tomorrow again. But players still miss sometimes, and it's generally only memorable when you do other things wrong around it to compound it.

C

Chief00

Foul shooting makes the difference in close games.
Ok I know some on this board doesn't like frankness - so if you are one of those people - stop reading here.
Quite frankly, it's about time the coaches actively start coaching Brimah when he comes to the bench with yet another ill advised foul. Miller is a very good coach but not a Bigs coach. He is doing all kinds of things sitting to Ollie's left - but because he has all those game responsibilities he doesn't have the time to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

zls44

Reaction Score
Foul shooting makes the difference in close games.
Ok I know some on this board don't like frankness - so if you are one of those people - stop reading here.
Quite frankly, it's about time the coaches actively start coaching Brimah when he comes to the bench with yet another ill advised foul. Miller is a very good coach but not a Bigs coach. He is doing all kinds of things sitting to Ollie's left - but because he has all those game responsibilities he doesn't have the time to do that.

Oh. They should start coaching him? As opposed to now when they just chat about Netflix suggestions, I guess.

Reaction Score
This team is very young (especially without Boat). I'm honestly okay with the mistakes at this point. As long as they progress and mature as a group, this team will be solid in the next few years, especially with Adams/Steve (and maybe one or two more) joining next year. Do you remember how hard it was to watch the 06-07 huskies? The same group matured into a juggernaut in 08-09. Give it time, none of our players have a legitimate shot to leave early besides Hamilton, which I think will stay 2 or 3 years. I know Brimah may get looks, but let's be realistic. He's far from being productive at the NBA level at this point in time. This is why I'm so happy to be a UCONN fan. We actually SEE growth from our players. We SEE development. We SEE maturity. We SEE our players make mistakes and improve. They don't stay for 6 months and bolt. That's what college basketball is about.

Reaction Score
Would I love a Clyde type Bigs coach to work with him hands on ? Sure I would.

Brimah has been coached up extremely well in his time here. I can assure you that there are coaches working with him "hands on".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would I love a Clyde type Bigs coach to work with him hands on ? Sure I would.

Sure, I would too. But Glenn Miller has done a very good job coaching bigs since he has returned to the staff. I don't have any complaints with how the 4/5's have progressed from the time they came on campus until they left.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
For the last goshdarn time, the transitive property does not work in basketball. Stop comparing us to Kansas, we would get destroyed.

Reaction Score
UCONN is just a breath away from falling out of the top 100 in the RPI rankings...A dismal 96th. Rutgers is ahead of them..Ugh.

Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
For the last goshdarn time, the transitive property does not work in basketball. Stop comparing us to Kansas, we would get destroyed.

Yeah. Just look at what Duke did to us.

Reaction Score

Kansas isn't that good, if they came here I'd like our chances to win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

For the last goshdarn time stop being so certain about hypothetical matchups that aren't occurring this year.

It's pure Boneyard gold to have one poster lambasting posters over transitive hypotheticals while being completely certain of head to head hypotheticals.

It's about as silly as me comparing Sofia Vergara giving me head as compared to Jessica Alba. (For the record, Jessica wins).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
For the last goshdarn time stop being so certain about hypothetical matchups that aren't occurring this year.

It's pure Boneyard gold to have one poster lambasting posters over transitive hypotheticals while being completely certain of head to head hypotheticals.

It's about as silly as me comparing Sofia Vergara giving me head as compared to Jessica Alba. (For the record, Jessica wins).
This was an all-time post!

Reaction Score
There are things the "bigs" need to learn that can not be taught. You can watch film, explain to them what should have been or not been, and they need to lear it and do it naturally on their own. No big man coach is going to change the mental game of Amida right now, he needs to keep playing and begin to do the right things as they occur on his own, naturally. Catching the ball in traffic with 2 hands ready is something he really needs to do and that's just remembering that in those situations. I know Clyde could potentially help him offensively, no doubt. But the things that hurt his game are mental for now, it's a process and it's on him. Nolan is just what he is, not changing much there but he's still valuable. Rubin needs to get faster and let the game slow down for him - Facey said the game was too fast for him last year and look what's happened. Rock needs to shed a few muscles and streamline his body and go after it next year as a different player. Face doesn't need a big mans coach, he needs a guard to help him with his ball handling and passing and also a trainer to bulk him up. He's the one heading more north than any of them!

Reaction Score

I'm okay with that, I like the one I'm going to get then!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul