Fun UCONN games to watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fun UCONN games to watch

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Just watched 2004 vs Oklahoma.......we have fallen soooo far. That team was so loaded I can’t believe it. We were three deep or more at every position.
I feel the same way watching this 2002 UMass game. This team had FIREPOWER. And they were far from one of our best.

Reaction Score
I have been watching some old games, as well. The '87-'88 team, long before it's NIT run, goes up to The Carrier Dome and beats a powerhouse Syracuse team (Sherman Douglas, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, Stevie Thompson, Matt Roe) that was coming off of the Keith Smart title game loss and was the pre-season #1 team in the nation. Playing a 2-3 zone and walking the ball up the court, UConn wins 51-50. The game turns on an intentional foul call on Syracuse with seconds left, sending Cliff Robinson to the line.

HCJC's reaction at the buzzer is classic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The 2004 Elite Eight game against Alabama is a favorite of mine. Bama was only seeded 8 but they were the hot team, coming off wins over seeds 1 and 5. Guy next to me at the bar was going on and on how Bama could run. UConn beat them up.

Reaction Score
2011 Maui Invitational (3 games: Wichita state, Mich St, and Kentucky) We went from unranked preseason to top 10 by winning those 3 games. Kemba scored a tournament record for points over those 3 games, scoring over 30 twice and then 29 vs Kentucky in the final. That thrashing is particularly sweet.

Reaction Score
The 2004 Elite Eight game against Alabama is a favorite of mine. Bama was only seeded 8 but they were the hot team, coming off wins over seeds 1 and 5. Guy next to me at the bar was going on and on how Bama could run. UConn beat them up.

Rashad Anderson was on fire in that game.

Reaction Score
For all the heart attack tournament games we had over the years, its nice to have some blow outs once in a while Our 2004 tournament run was relatively easy. The Elite 8 game vs Alabama essentially had zero stress along with the Championship game vs Georgia Tech. The funny thing is how the Duke game made up for it because that game was probably one of the most stressful games we ever had.

Reaction Score
2011 Maui Invitational (3 games: Wichita state, Mich St, and Kentucky) We went from unranked preseason to top 10 by winning those 3 games. Kemba scored a tournament record for points over those 3 games, scoring over 30 twice and then 29 vs Kentucky in the final. That thrashing is particularly sweet.
Watched all our games from Maui in 2010. Things that really stood out to me. Shabazz played great defense although a bit out of control on offense. And Alex Oriaki played great. He dominated inside. Lamb was invisible, he really improved as the season went on.

Reaction Score
* I also found the game in which we scored the most points...but it wasn't one of the biggest blowouts. In the 1993-94 season, we beat Tennessee Tech 130-78. In this one season, UCONN scored >100 6 times! Just for perspective, we have now scored 100 or more 6 times since the 2008-09 season! They did it in one season!

In the early 90s, Calhoun had an offense that was designed to get a shot off in the first four seconds of a possession -- even after made baskets. His theory was you could get good shots early because the defense wasn't set.

Reaction Score
Not the biggest blowout, but I loved the game we crushed UVA, handing them their worst home loss, iirc.
I remember this game well. I had a class that night, and was recording the game to watch later. I went into a store on the way home and heard the score part way through the first half. It was a thrashing. I was devastated as I hoped UCONN would play well, at Virginia, against the nationally ranked team. I never heard who was winning and just assumed the worst. I got home and said, "ah let me watch as much as I can, before I can't take it anymore." I sadly watched the game. I kept watching and soon said to myself, "Wait, it is UCONN that was doing the thrashing....."It was a great game from that point on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is the most fun to watch game I can think of.

Pay close attention to how important this game was to our opponent.

Wow!! HooperScooper, Dogmania and I got stuck on the Mass Pike going to this game. We were listening to it on the radio in the car. By the time we made it to Conte, UConn was up 20 in the first half. The place sounded like Gampel North. Some old ladies, who were BC fans, asked us if we'd switch seats with them because they didn't want to sit next to rowdy UConn fans. As part of the deal, we ended up moving up a bunch of rows and made some new friends during the game.

Reaction Score
Wow!! HooperScooper, Dogmania and I got stuck on the Mass Pike going to this game. We were listening to it on the radio in the car. By the time we made it to Conte, UConn was up 20 in the first half. The place sounded like Gampel North. Some old ladies, who were BC fans, asked us if we'd switch seats with them because they didn't want to sit next to rowdy UConn fans. As part of the deal, we ended up moving up a bunch of rows and made some new friends during the game.
Wait, weren't you guys late to my house coming from CT? Or did all 3 of us hit traffic going to the game from my house? Those were the good old days when we stomped BC every year.

Reaction Score
Wait, weren't you guys late to my house coming from CT? Or did all 3 of us hit traffic going to the game from my house? Those were the good old days when we stomped BC every year.
There was a car fire between your house and BC. We literally stopped on the mass pike for an hour. ....btw....BC beat us by 20+ a month earlier at Gampel.

Reaction Score
In my experience, ESPN has been showing only the games that UConn LOST - eg, Duke, and for women, ND. Also heard that WTIC also mentioned that earlier today.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Came here to say this. We blew their faces off. Rashad’s 3 to end the first half was the nail in the coffin.

Arguably UConn’s best team, firing on all cylinders.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not the biggest blowout, but I loved the game we crushed UVA, handing them their worst home loss, iirc.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Came here to say this. We blew their faces off. Rashad’s 3 to end the first half was the nail in the coffin.

Arguably UConn’s best team, firing on all cylinders.
Watching this game now. The block party was on in the 1st half! Raining 3's as well. This team was so deep - multiple draft picks coming off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom