Fun Paige / Azzi Video | The Boneyard

Fun Paige / Azzi Video

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If Azzi picks a school other than UConn I doubt it'll be because her best friend let it be known she'd like her at the same program.
If Azzi goes elsewhere, it will be because she wants to compete against the best. If she goes to UConn, it will be because she wants to be the best.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Talk about your full court presses. There isn't a chance in the world that any booster, alumni or fan of UConn could pitch Geno with any more fervor than Paige. I have to think this a daily event. The kid is heaven sent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve never ascribed to the theory that top players go somewhere because of a good friend, HS, AAU or USA basketball teammate. It may happen every now and then (Pheesa & Lou). More often, there is a great deal of speculation, like when a bunch of players on the under 18 team were going to come to UConn, or follow SB to ND, and everyone went their own way. Most players make decisions based on a number of factors, and where their friends go to school is usually way down the list.

Hopefully, in this case, Paige and Azzi are the exception. But I must confess that other than their obvious love of basketball, it’s hard to imagine two friends who’s personalities are more different than Paige & Azzi.

Paige is an extrovert who never stops talking. Yes, she is the 2nd coming of DT. Azzi is quiet and thoughtful. In this latest video, Azzi, who is the child of mixed race parents, makes the amusing comment that Paige is “more black” than she is. Friendship is a wonderful thing, but It might be a good idea for Paige to give Azzi some space to make her decision.

I don’t think Azzi has made up her mind yet. At a minimum, she hasn’t told Paige or we would all know where she’s heading. I think Geno has established a strong relationship with Azzi’s two parents, both of whom were outstanding basketball players in their own right.

Azzi’s HS, St Johns Prep is a very good private, catholic school with strong academics. Azzi hasn’t put out a final list of schools, and maybe she never will. I’m just speculating, but imo MD, SC, Baylor and even ND are unlikely to be among her finalists for a number of reasons.

I think Azzi’s decision may come down to 3 schools: UConn, Oregon & Stanford. Of the 3, Stanford is the school I am most concerned with. It is my sincere hope that when all is said and done, Azzi chooses to follow her loquacious friend to Storrs.

Reaction Score
If she does matriculate great..if not there are a lot of other good players in her class to look at..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If she does matriculate great..if not there are a lot of other good players in her class to look at..
Yes, but in the same way that Paige is head and shoulders above the class of 2020, Azzi is head and shoulders above the class of 2021. Azzi is quite simply a jump shooting machine. If she were to end up on the court with Paige and her future UConn teammates, in Geno’s offense, Azzi would get great open looks and the ball would find her time after time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige is a true connoisseur of basketball and the way UConn plays. With the right talent, the UConn style is just breathless and Paige know this. I am sure she is keenly aware of what Sue Bird / Diana Taurasi did to advance WBB and perfect Geno's vision. She is just trying to get her best friend to see (and feel) this.

Perhaps Azzi feels she wants to run her own show and not share the stage?? but the lights of UConn and an appreciative fanbase are bright enough to support 2 incomparable guards advancing the sport again.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Of course it would be great if Azzi went to UConn. But I’ll be happy to see DeBerry, and I can’t wait to see Saylor Poffengarger. If it’s a class of those two, I’ll be content.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Azzi has a long vertical scar on both knees. Two ACLs?? or something else. ThevApril 2019 ACL/MCL injury is all I find. Did they take some patellar tendon from the other knee for repair??

Reaction Score
One other telling moment (to me) in that video- at one point Azzi's Dad mentions something about calling Geno - and he said it quickly and without reservation. My sense is he's very comfortable in talking with Geno and would probably love further developing that relationship in the future.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I’ve never ascribed to the theory that top players go somewhere because of a good friend, HS, AAU or USA basketball teammate. It may happen every now and then (Pheesa & Lou). More often, there is a great deal of speculation, like when a bunch of players on the under 18 team were going to come to UConn, or follow SB to ND, and everyone went their own way. Most players make decisions based on a number of factors, and where their friends go to school is usually way down the list.

Hopefully, in this case, Paige and Azzi are the exception. But I must confess that other than their obvious love of basketball, it’s hard to imagine two friends who’s personalities are more different than Paige & Azzi.

Paige is an extrovert who never stops talking. Yes, she is the 2nd coming of DT. Azzi is quiet and thoughtful. In this latest video, Azzi, who is the child of mixed race parents, makes the amusing comment that Paige is “more black” than she is. Friendship is a wonderful thing, but It might be a good idea for Paige to give Azzi some space to make her decision.

I don’t think Azzi has made up her mind yet. At a minimum, she hasn’t told Paige or we would all know where she’s heading. I think Geno has established a strong relationship with Azzi’s two parents, both of whom were outstanding basketball players in their own right.

Azzi’s HS, St Johns Prep is a very good private, catholic school with strong academics. Azzi hasn’t put out a final list of schools, and maybe she never will. I’m just speculating, but imo MD, SC, Baylor and even ND are unlikely to be among her finalists for a number of reasons.

I think Azzi’s decision may come down to 3 schools: UConn, Oregon & Stanford. Of the 3, Stanford is the school I am most concerned with. It is my sincere hope that when all is said and done, Azzi chooses to follow her loquacious friend to Storrs.
Sorry. ND as a catholic school is my pick as her number 2. Paige's comment of only playing each other once a year also seems to confirm this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry. ND as a catholic school is my pick as her number 2. Paige's comment of only playing each other once a year also seems to confirm this.
Second only to my general belief that recruits don’t pick a school just because that’s where their friends go, is my belief that recruits don’t pick ND just because they went to a catholic HS. I heard that same argument about Haley Jones who attended Archbishop Mitty, and as we all know, she didn’t end up at ND. I would also point out that Lou went to Mater Dei, another Catholic HS, and ND wasn’t even a factor in her final decision.

IMO, far more important to Azzi and her parents than the Catholic affiliation of St Johns Prep, is the academic excellence it offers. That’s why I view Stanford as UConn’s major competition.

In addition, I don’t think ND will be all the way back next year. The Irish will certainly be better, but I believe that Azzi wants to step into a situation where she can compete for championships, and ND doesn’t necessarily fit the bill.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You should view South Carolina, ND, and Maryland as UConn's competition for her.
Time will tell. But as I indicated, my opinion is that Azzi will head out west or she will end up at UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Time will tell. But as I indicated, my opinion is that Azzi will head out west or she will end up at UConn.

There haven't been any reports linking her to Oregon and it's been quite a while since Stanford has been mentioned.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There haven't been any reports linking her to Oregon and it's been quite a while since Stanford has been mentioned.
Are there recent reports linking her to SC, ND & MD?

Reaction Score
Are there recent reports linking her to SC, ND & MD?
IMO, they are all in second place. With her long term aspirations, there's no way she'll pass up the UConn opportunity to develop to reach her goals. If she's really as close to Bueckers as they maintain, she'd be looking over her shoulder every year wondering what they could have accomplished together if she didn't take the challenge.

Reaction Score
If UConn was the sure landing spot for Fudd as many seem to think, why hasn't she committed? We already have players committed that are younger than she is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom