Fun interview with Prez - Daily Campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fun interview with Prez - Daily Campus

Reaction Score
So besides her demeanor what are the specific issues you would like to see addressed that you think she hasn't addressed?

I'm not a student anymore, but the general consensus was that unless you were in a STEM program or an athlete you were ignored.

With that being said, it would be nice if she said something about the police force. UCPD is an awful department and should be called out by the University. Former Spring Weekend-weekend consisted of many illegal searches, quasi-legal road blocks, etc. promoted by the University. It was wrong then and it's still wrong now.

Reaction Score
Does not instill a lot of confidence when you think she is supposed to lead us out of conference wilderness, she can't answer many things so evasively. So far Warde and Susan had not shown effort in this because supposedly they have to operate in secrecy, now a new AD and nothing has changed. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't really care if she's a snotty bitch. Just get results and I will sing her praises.

Reaction Score
I also have had a few run ins with the author. He's a huge huge fan of the men's team, but he does rub people the wrong way sometimes. He was also removed from the top dogs group and the folks in charge made it seem like if the group had perfect behavior they would bring up the idea with the administration of giving the students a better experience at gampel, ie making the lower bowl all the student section like at duke. His actions must have reflected poorly on the top dogs and the student section in general because they made it seem like those plans were scrapped completely. Unfortunate
This 10000000%.

The kid I'm sure means well and is a diehard fan, but he comes of super condescending and thinks he's the only one worthy of leading the student group. I was in Top Dogs and I can confirm everything you said. He was booted for breaking into Gampel for electricity during the Ohio St. campout, after explicitly being told not to do this (he'd been previously caught and scolded for doing this during a campout for the ND women's game).

No one in the group except for his 2 friends liked him, and his attempts to act as a de facto leader rubbed everyone the wrong way and made him even more hated among top dogs. The program itself seems to have been scrapped altogether for next year, and while other factors definitely exist I'm sure his conduct was a contributing reason.

Reaction Score
The student body liked Mike Hogan. That's all you need to know . . .

C

Chief00

Believe it or not, her "I don't have time for this crap" attitude she seemed to express towards the Daily Campus is how she dismisses general student concerns as well. She can be good at her job and still be unlikable as a person. She has a very "mommy knows best so go run and play and stop bothering me" persona that rubs students the wrong way and this article is a perfect look into that.

Unfortunately, you nailed it and don't believe that's it's students only who perceive her that way. It's how she is perceived by her peers as well. Generally, certain traits are perceived as likeable or not regardless of the age of the person perceiving the behavior. When you run endlessly through all the metrics we are good in some areas and bad in others - schools get into the P5 with various profiles - the leader has to also make that personal connection. Frankly, that's why we failed. To Susan's credit she has now seemed to acknowledged that and outsourced that role to Mike T.

Reaction Score
The boneyard lately has become nitpicking crazy. We are a bunch of old cats.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, you nailed it and don't believe that's it's students only who perceive her that way. It's how she is perceived by her peers as well. Generally, certain traits are perceived as likeable or not regardless of the age of the person perceiving the behavior. When you run endlessly through all the metrics we are good in some areas and bad in others - schools get into the P5 with various profiles - the leader has to also make that personal connection. Frankly, that's why we failed. To Susan's credit she has now seemed to acknowledged that and outsourced that role to Mike T.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Believe it or not, her "I don't have time for this crap" attitude she seemed to express towards the Daily Campus is how she dismisses general student concerns as well. She can be good at her job and still be unlikable as a person. She has a very "mommy knows best so go run and play and stop bothering me" persona that rubs students the wrong way and this article is a perfect look into that.

She dismissed an obvious nitwit with an agenda. Good for her.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I wonder how disappointed Calhoun would be if he knew how much you lied.

Reaction Score
She dismissed an obvious nitwit with an agenda. Good for her.

This was for the grad issue of the Daily Campus, the freaking school paper, and she couldn't play nice for 20 minutes. Think about that.

Reaction Score
The student body liked Mike Hogan. That's all you need to know . . .

At least Hogan walked around campus and acknowledged you even if you weren't a STEM student or an Athlete

Reaction Score
As others have said, if she performs, I don't care if she has a prickly personality.

In the areas of conference realignment, fed research dollars,and endowment, the results are pretty disappointing. With respect to the latter two, she has put forth an infrastructure to support her vision. Time will tell if that bears fruit, but we are getting into year 5 of her tenure. As for realignment, we're winners that like to win and will win, until the AD deficit and revenue drops force structural changes.

That interview transcript was cringe worthy, and undoubtedly the biggest fault that Herbst made is agreeing to an interview with an adversary cloaked as an objective reporter.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
That's not the president's job and never was...they are not there to "acknowledge" you. They're there to run the university.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Also, people close to me have dealt with that "journalist" before, and I wouldn't give him the time of day even if he begged for it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As others have said, if she performs, I don't care if she has a ly personality.

In the areas of conference realignment, fed research dollars,and endowment, the results are pretty disappointing. With respect to the latter two, she has put forth an infrastructure to support her vision. Time will tell if that bears fruit, but we are getting into year 5 of her tenure. As for realignment, we're winners that like to win and will win, until the AD deficit and revenue drops force structural changes.

That interview transcript was cringe worthy, and undoubtedly the biggest fault that Herbst made is agreeing to an interview with an adversary cloaked as an objective reporter.
It takes time to evaluate, house clean and implement. Five years is the wrong starting point for CR, Fed dollars and endowment.

I agree with you it was foolish to even agree to the interview but it is possible she was informed there would be a different interviewer.

Reaction Score
... and undoubtedly the biggest fault that Herbst made is agreeing to an interview with an adversary cloaked as an objective reporter.

I agree with you it was foolish to even agree to the interview but it is possible she was informed there would be a different interviewer.

I'm get the sense she may not have even had a chance to agree to the interview or not (and maybe someone can clarify): "Senior staff writer Kyle Constable interviewed University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst during her office hours on Friday, April 29, 2016." -- sounds like he took advantage of an opportunity.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I'm get the sense she may not have even had a chance to agree to interview or not (and maybe someone can clarify): "Senior staff writer Kyle Constable interviewed University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst during her office hours onon Friday, April 29, 2016." -- sounds like he took advantage of an opportunity.
And who knows if the write up is accurate. I would seriously doubt it.

Reaction Score
At least Hogan walked around campus and acknowledged you even if you weren't a STEM student or an Athlete

and he was a total f€{%ing weasel. Keep paying attention to the superficial, though, if it makes you happy.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
and he was a total f€{%ing weasel. Keep paying attention to the superficial, though, if it makes you happy.

Not only that, but I've heard from behind the scenes that he was just flat-out bad at doing his job.

It's not a president's job to be a buddy or a babysitter or "acknowledge" students any of that bull crap. That's so ridiculous, I almost have trouble as to why that's even an argument at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not only that, but I've heard from behind the scenes that he was just flat-out bad at doing his job.

It's not a president's job to be a buddy or a babysitter or "acknowledge" students any of that bull crap. That's so ridiculous, I almost have trouble as to why that's even an argument at all.
I saw him speak and met him briefly soon after he got the job. Thought he was a total goober and couldn't believe he was our president, and wondered aloud immediately how long he would last.

Reaction Score

Herbst sure acts like it, though. She's demeaning and brash towards the student body (unless you're a STEM member - then she builds you a special dorm and shows up at all of your events and classes). She may be fine at her job, but it doesn't mean anyone has to like her.

She's the President of the University - interacting with the student body and not treating the school paper journalist like crap is part of the gig.

Reaction Score
I understand criticisms of her, but I can look BEYOND them to say she is working 24-7 on 2 main probs a P5 conference and our endowment.She is in the upper echelon of "turkeys" we have had as Number 1.:):):):)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom