Fuller: Remaining UConn 2013 targets taking their time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fuller: Remaining UConn 2013 targets taking their time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
There is a big difference between wondering about the choices of recruits and why they wouldn't want come to a great program like UConn, and feeling that somehow they have an obligation to come. That's what "entitlement" means.

BTW, is there any question about UConn's stature in women's basketball?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Speedoo, I didn't say anything about what a HS girl should be feeling or should do!! Just the opposite. I simply was expressing my view about what Boneyard posters may be feeling. Try reading messages a little slower and more carefully before rushing to make insulting and incorrect conclusions.
I read your post very carefully, thank you very much. We just disagree as to how to interpret what you said. IMO it is no stretch at all to interpret it as I did.

Reaction Score
I think you are referring to me. I would like for UConn to continue to raise the bar for WCBB and to surpass Tessessee's 8 championships. We have had about 6 times when we looked like the best team, but ran into injuries, foul trouble, etc. and did not win the title. I agree that the comeback against Texas was exciting, but so was last year's OT loss. The close games can go either way. I'd rather have a win like the 2009 final game than an exciting loss. To win a championship, having a large margin for error really helps. You seem to prefer the close games more.

I don't feel any sense of entitlement. Some kids want other locations, other programs, other coaches, etc. I understand that. Generally speaking, I think Geno develops talent better than any other coach--see the Olympic team--but there are other excellent coaches and programs. I think it is amazing that he gets the kids he does. I feel fortunate to be a UConn plan and have had the opportunity to see players like Maya Moore put on the UConn uniform over 150 times.

First off I would prefer UConn win a national title whether it's by grit and hard work and gutting it out like in 2003 or by dominance like in 2009. You made preference to one over the other which is why I took issue.

I don't really think you want UConn to raise the bar for WCBB.

They already have raised the bar.

Texas A&M won it's first title in school history in 2011. That is raising the bar for WCBB. Gary Blair told Rebecca Lobo after winning that teams like hers that helped set the bar for A&M. Baylor went 40-0. They are probably going to be the next big power in WCBB. And the tough test we gave them in Waco could have played a big role in making them champions. Bar raised. Notre Dame made the title game 2 years in a row. I'm sure playing against us 4 times a year, losing to us, helped make them raise their game. The butt whoopins UConn has given Duke and North Carolina clearly made those schools hit the recruiting level even harder as they are signing some of their best classes. That is raising the bar for WCBB. Sleeping giant programs that should be top 10 basketball programs like Kentucky and Penn State have hired good young coaches and are putting resources to build their programs into contenders. Bar raised. Stanford hadn't reached a Final 4 since 1997 until making their first of 5 straight in 2008. Tara credited the whoppin we gave them at the Virgin Islands earlier that year for raising her team to another level and helping them understand how far they have to go. Bar has been raised.

UConn has absolutely raised the bar in recent years for WCBB. Other programs are responding in kind. Judging by the borderline panic over DeShields going to UNC I'm not sure some want that. It's actually now time for us to respond to others raising their bar. I think we are doing that by signing players like Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stokes, Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck the last 3 seasons. I don't think we are doomed because Diamond DeShields decided she wants to start and play right away at another school. And I don't think we are going to get a goose egg for 2013 recruits. And I think we are poised at responding to OTHER programs RAISING THEIR BAR in the next couple years with the players we have.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
There is a big difference between wondering about the choices of recruits and why they wouldn't want come to a great program like UConn, and feeling that somehow they have an obligation to come. That's what "entitlement" means.

One definition of the word "entitlement" from Merriam-Webster: "belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privilege". IMO that is pretty close to what you are talking about.

BTW, is there any question about UConn's stature in women's basketball?

No. We just disagree about what comes with that stature.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First off I would prefer UConn win a national title whether it's by grit and hard work and gutting it out like in 2003 or by dominance like in 2009. You made preference to one over the other which is why I took issue.

I don't really think you want UConn to raise the bar for WCBB.

They already have raised the bar.

Texas A&M won it's first title in school history in 2011. That is raising the bar for WCBB. Gary Blair told Rebecca Lobo after winning that teams like hers that helped set the bar for A&M. Baylor went 40-0. They are probably going to be the next big power in WCBB. And the tough test we gave them in Waco could have played a big role in making them champions. Bar raised. Notre Dame made the title game 2 years in a row. I'm sure playing against us 4 times a year, losing to us, helped make them raise their game. The butt whoopins UConn has given Duke and North Carolina clearly made those schools hit the recruiting level even harder as they are signing some of their best classes. That is raising the bar for WCBB. Sleeping giant programs that should be top 10 basketball programs like Kentucky and Penn State have hired good young coaches and are putting resources to build their programs into contenders. Bar raised. Stanford hadn't reached a Final 4 since 1997 until making their first of 5 straight in 2008. Tara credited the whoppin we gave them at the Virgin Islands earlier that year for raising her team to another level and helping them understand how far they have to go. Bar has been raised.

UConn has absolutely raised the bar in recent years for WCBB. Other programs are responding in kind. Judging by the borderline panic over DeShields going to UNC I'm not sure some want that. It's actually now time for us to respond to others raising their bar. I think we are doing that by signing players like Hartley, Dolson, KML, Stokes, Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck the last 3 seasons. I don't think we are doomed because Diamond DeShields decided she wants to start and play right away at another school. And I don't think we are going to get a goose egg for 2013 recruits. And I think we are poised at responding to OTHER programs RAISING THEIR BAR in the next couple years with the players we have.
I don't have a preference for one type of win over another. When we are talking about the future, there is a lot of uncertainty. I'd rather have a margin for error. I didn't like losing 4 of the last 5 to ND. If we are not superior, we'll have a lot more of that--very good seasons ending with close losses.

Yeah, UConn raised the bar. With the 2012 class, they have an opportunity to raise it further. To do so requires continued success in recruiting.

You seem to prefer more balance in WCBB. Overall, that is not a bad thing. However, as a UConn alum and fan, I would like to see UConn with as strong a team as possible, not just on a par with a half dozen others. If we are in the mix with a bunch others, we'd win 1 or 2 championships per decade. I don't expect 5 or more, but I'd prefer 3-4 over 1-2. The game is getting more competitive; if we don't get 2 more in the next 4 years, we may not make it in Geno's career. Would you prefer UConn to be on a par with several other teams over the next decade but go 0-10 in terms of NCAA titles? I wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller has been busy. He spoke with Karlie Samuelson about her decision to commit to Stanford, which sounds like it was all about her family.

"It was Stanford and UConn. My family has been going through a lot. My grandma lost her husband and her son in about a year so I thought it was the best. She wanted me to play with my sister at Stanford and it is a great school and family is important to me right now.

"It was a really hard decision because UConn and Stanford have a really good schools and it just came down to family."

Courtney Ekmark ('14) plans to make a decision before the start of her junior year, which means this summer:

While Ekmark hasn't come up with an official list, she did say she was looking at "just a couple" of schools with UConn most definitely on the list.

The Huskies' winning tradition as well as Auriemma's demanding style is appealing to Ekmark who just led her high school team to the No. 1 ranking in the national high school polls.

"They are cool because they just recruit the best players and if you come, you come and if you don't, you
don't come but it would just be a challenge to go there," Ekmark said. "I feel like I would like the challenge."

Meanwhile, Saniya plans to schedule visits before she narrows her list of (6) schools.

Sounds to me like Ms. Ekmark may be leaning our way...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Sounds to me like Ms. Ekmark may be leaning our way...
Yes it does. Would love to know what other school(s) she is considering.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A December article said that Courtney was considering UConn, Standord, Duke, and Notre Dame. She is #1 in her high school class academically.

Reaction Score
She was the MVP of the Stanford camp as a freshman and has said that Stanford is her dream school. If Tara gives her the application, I think that's it for her. I wouldn't count out an Ivy, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom