Fuller: Remaining UConn 2013 targets taking their time

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jim has an update from McCall, Harper and Tucker:
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/

McCall, a 6-foot-3 forward/center from Bakersfield, Calif., is probably the furthest along of the three since she made a visit to the UConn campus. It doesn't hurt that her father is the head women's basketball coach at CSU Bakersfield and her sister is Phoenix Mercury forward DeWanna Bonner.

Bonner made her sister's day by giving her the phone number of former UConn great Diana Taurasi (who is Bonner's teammate with the Mercury) with instructions to call her if she has any questions concerning what UConn is all about.

"I have her number in my phone and I am excited about that just to have her name on my phone," McCall said on Friday after finishing up the second session at the U.S. U-17 training camp. "I hope I get to talk to her and get a feel for UConn."

McCall said "right now I am open."

Harper and Tucker said pretty much the same thing. Tucker said she'd like to take some unofficial visits in June and could start narrowing her list of schools beginning in July.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. Normal recruiting situations. Geno always wants kids to be sure if they are going to verbal to UConn.

Only issue is we will have time for several more threads about 2013 recruiting being in the sh1tter.
No worry. Once 2013 verbals come to UConn, the worriers will start whining complaining talking about 2014, 2015 and beyond.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds good to me. Normal recruiting situations. Geno always wants kids to be sure if they are going to verbal to UConn.

Only issue is we will have time for several more threads about 2013 recruiting being in the sh1tter.
There's still uncertainty, but this basically neutral news seems positive given the events of the past few weeks. One big--Erica is the only one known to be on our list--and one guard would be fine.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No worry. Once 2013 verbals come to UConn, the worriers will start whining complaining talking about 2014, 2015 and beyond.
Not speaking for others, but if we get 2 or 3 in 2013, especially if McCall is one of them, I have few concerns about 2014. I would say that Brianna Turner is a high priority irrespective of everything else. Hopefully, 2014 will not have to make up for deficiencies in 2013. I'm actually optimistic about 2014. I'll tell you why in a couple of years. :)

Reaction Score
It doesn't hurt to have Erica McCall's sister in UCONN'S corner. I'm glad that the four remaining UCONN Recruits are taking their time before choosing a school. I'm feeling much better about UCONN'S chances if landing Erica and possibly one or two of the remaing three.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
your characterization is far more overwrought than any actual worrying I see on this board.

God forbid anyone have some concern when our top two ranked recurring targets have committed elsewhere, as have two other targets of ours, and we have no idea when our remaining targets will make a decision.

It's a reasonable concern. Our 2010-12 recruiting will put UConn in incredible shape for the next few seasons, but a lost recruiting class will eventually bite us. We could still have a stellar recruiting class, or at least a fine one, but the timing in the recruiting cycle is very weird this year...and given that, it's not unreasonable to question how it'll turn out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
your characterization is far more overwrought than any actual worrying I see on this board.

God forbid anyone have some concern when our top two ranked recurring targets have committed elsewhere, as have two other targets of ours, and we have no idea when our remaining targets will make a decision.

It's a reasonable concern. Our 2010-12 recruiting will put UConn in incredible shape for the next few seasons, but a lost recruiting class will eventually bite us. We could still have a stellar recruiting class, or at least a fine one, but the timing in the recruiting cycle is very weird this year...and given that, it's not unreasonable to question how it'll turn out.

It was a reaction to the OP in that other thread. Stating that UConn, Baylor and Stanford were the only elite teams that hasn't signed a ranked 2013 recruit. That wasn't true.

Now, you say here that UConn didn't sign "our top two ranked recurring targets". Yes, DeShields is one. But Samuelson? She is not highly ranked at all and losing a recruit to Stanford when her sister is going there is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

Was the Faris class of one (now 3 with Doty and Buck reshirting) be a "lost" class to you? I don't see UConn getting at least a class that good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It was a reaction to the OP in that other thread. Stating that UConn, Baylor and Stanford were the only elite teams that hasn't signed a ranked 2013 recruit. That wasn't true.

Now, you say here that UConn didn't sign "our top two ranked recurring targets". Yes, DeShields is one. But Samuelson? She is not highly ranked at all and losing a recruit to Stanford when her sister is going there is nothing to be concerned about in my opinion.

Was the Faris class of one (now 3 with Doty and Buck reshirting) be a "lost" class to you? I don't see UConn getting at least a class that good.

I forgot about Reimer. Certainly a loss, but not a shock for her to stay home.

Reaction Score
I can't even call it a loss since I never thought either DeShields or Reimer would ultimately choose UConn. I didn't think either one was a a lost cause, but I never had confidence that either one would feel pulled to UConn the way most of the players who ultimately choose UConn are.
I forgot about Reimer. Certainly a loss, but not a shock for her to stay home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't even call it a loss since I never thought either DeShields or Reimer would ultimately choose UConn. I didn't think either one was a a lost cause, but I never had confidence that either one would feel pulled to UConn the way most of the players who ultimately choose UConn are.
Scotter, why did you think that Diamond would go elsewhere? I was hearing that she really liked our coaches and players.

Reaction Score
Scotter, why did you think that Diamond would go elsewhere? I was hearing that she really liked our coaches and players.

At its heart it was a gut instinct, but I'll try to articulate why my gut felt that way.

One factor is that the truly elite players typically want to be difference makers. Whether it is helping a program achieve new highs or helping restore a top program back to the top. For someone like Diamond to choose UConn with the caliber of players in the classes above her I thought there would have to be significant forces leading her to UConn.

In my opinion there are three forces that typically help pull or push a top recruit to UConn.

1. Similar Basketball philosophy - if a player values the same things on the court that the UConn program values then they are far more likely to choose UConn. Not every player values passing or working as a team to score to the same degree. It is no surprise that players that have a desire to play baskteball the way UConn plays it often end up at UConn. The recruits that make me think, "she plays like a UConn player," almost always end up at UConn.

2. Experience in a highly organized championship caliber high school program - playing at an elite college program typically means the most to players that have already experienced something similar on the high school level. Winning a national championship tends to be higher on the importance list for these players. I'm talking about programs with institutional success like a Mater Dei, Bolingbrook, or a Germantown Academy. Now not every player at these programs buys into the importance of winning championships to the same degree, but in general playing at one of these high school programs helps UConn.

3. Geography - UConn can obviously recruit anywhere in the country and find success, but their odds of success are still much higher if the the player is from the northeast. And still higher if the player is from the Midwest or Atlantic seaboard as compared to the rest of the country. Geography is a little different because in UConn's specific case geography is more powerful as a push factor than a pull factor, but it is still a very powerful force. Geography is one of the few powerful reasons not to choose an elite program like UConn. Take that powerful reason to say no to UConn off the board, and UConn's odds of recruiting success go up significantly.

From what I have seen if a recruit has at least two of these forces pulling a recruit toward UConn they almost always choose UConn. Sometimes one force is enough, and in extremely rare cases players still choose UConn without any of the three forces I named being particularly strong. I felt like Diamond did not have any of the factors pulling her to UConn. Some would argue that since Diamond won a state championship at Norcross with a coach that had also won state championships with Maya Moore, but I never had a good feeling about this as pull factor. Norcross was too unsettled with all of the transfers around Diamond. Combined with the lack of continuity in where she played AAU it instinctively did not feel like an environment that would push her toward UConn. I felt like she would need strong forces pushing or pulling her to UConn and I just didn't see it coming from either her personality or her environment.

I thought this was going to be a challenging class to recruit from the beginning because of the lack available playing time because of UConn's previous recruiting success combined with the lack of easy recruiting targets that have multiple forces pushing them toward UConn.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Very impressive analysis, Scotter.. Makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
To me it's not the worrying that is bothering. It's the sense of entitlement. I truly believe there are a couple people here who think UConn is entitled to land the top class every year. It's impossible. UConn signed the #1 class of 2012, the #1 player, the #2 player, and the lowest player comes in what ranked #6 in the class? UConn signed the #1 ranked player of 2011 and most had our class 1 or 2. Most had our 2010 class 1 or 2 with Duke. Guess what, we are due for a "less heralded" class. All we need is some bodies. 2 should be fine. Than re group for 2014. We seem to be set to do that so I'm not sure what the problem is. You can't force kids to make up their minds early to give us fans more peace of mind.

There was one post last night that was particularly obnoxious. The poster basically said while the 2003 and 2004 NATIONAL TITLE teams were "nice" what they really want is another 2009 where we beat every team by 30 and are clearly the best. Don't know if that person was being facetious or not but with the borderline panic of not having any 2013 commitments I can't tell anymore. I can only speak for myself but the 2003 and 2004 national titles were just as enjoyable if not more so than the 2009 team which was enjoyable in a much different way. Goes back to the sense of entitlement I think. Teams are not allowed to try to compete with us in recruiting or on the court? I like competition. The 2003 Final 4 was alot more thrilling to watch with that comeback vs Texas and beating the cocky confident Vols than slaughterting an overmatched opponent like Louisville (which was enjoyable too).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
To me it's not the worrying that is bothering. It's the sense of entitlement. I truly believe there are a couple people here who think UConn is entitled to land the top class every year. It's impossible. UConn signed the #1 class of 2012, the #1 player, the #2 player, and the lowest player comes in what ranked #6 in the class? UConn signed the #1 ranked player of 2011 and most had our class 1 or 2. Most had our 2010 class 1 or 2 with Duke. Guess what, we are due for a "less heralded" class. All we need is some bodies. 2 should be fine. Than re group for 2014. We seem to be set to do that so I'm not sure what the problem is. You can't force kids to make up their minds early to give us fans more peace of mind.

There was one post last night that was particularly obnoxious. The poster basically said while the 2003 and 2004 NATIONAL TITLE teams were "nice" what they really want is another 2009 where we beat every team by 30 and are clearly the best. Don't know if that person was being facetious or not but with the borderline panic of not having any 2013 commitments I can't tell anymore. I can only speak for myself but the 2003 and 2004 national titles were just as enjoyable if not more so than the 2009 team which was enjoyable in a much different way. Goes back to the sense of entitlement I think. Teams are not allowed to try to compete with us in recruiting or on the court? I like competition. The 2003 Final 4 was alot more thrilling to watch with that comeback vs Texas and beating the cocky confident Vols than slaughterting an overmatched opponent like Louisville (which was enjoyable too).
Yes, the posting about the worrying and the worrying are only symptoms of other issues. Speculating about what those issues are is not something I want to do. As you point out, the worrying makes no sense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I think you are referring to me. I would like for UConn to continue to raise the bar for WCBB and to surpass Tessessee's 8 championships. We have had about 6 times when we looked like the best team, but ran into injuries, foul trouble, etc. and did not win the title. I agree that the comeback against Texas was exciting, but so was last year's OT loss. The close games can go either way. I'd rather have a win like the 2009 final game than an exciting loss. To win a championship, having a large margin for error really helps. You seem to prefer the close games more.

I don't feel any sense of entitlement. Some kids want other locations, other programs, other coaches, etc. I understand that. Generally speaking, I think Geno develops talent better than any other coach--see the Olympic team--but there are other excellent coaches and programs. I think it is amazing that he gets the kids he does. I feel fortunate to be a UConn plan and have had the opportunity to see players like Maya Moore put on the UConn uniform over 150 times.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller has been busy. He spoke with Karlie Samuelson about her decision to commit to Stanford, which sounds like it was all about her family.

"It was Stanford and UConn. My family has been going through a lot. My grandma lost her husband and her son in about a year so I thought it was the best. She wanted me to play with my sister at Stanford and it is a great school and family is important to me right now.

"It was a really hard decision because UConn and Stanford have a really good schools and it just came down to family."

Courtney Ekmark ('14) plans to make a decision before the start of her junior year, which means this summer:

While Ekmark hasn't come up with an official list, she did say she was looking at "just a couple" of schools with UConn most definitely on the list.

The Huskies' winning tradition as well as Auriemma's demanding style is appealing to Ekmark who just led her high school team to the No. 1 ranking in the national high school polls.

"They are cool because they just recruit the best players and if you come, you come and if you don't, you
don't come but it would just be a challenge to go there," Ekmark said. "I feel like I would like the challenge."

Meanwhile, Saniya plans to schedule visits before she narrows her list of (6) schools.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There was a previous conversation about losing a recruiting battle to Stanford. I was looking at Nia Coffey's list of schools that she considered before choosing Northwestern: Stanford, Princeton, Harvard and Duke. That is a pretty impressive list of schools to get to choose from.

Reaction Score
I think you are referring to me. I would like for UConn to continue to raise the bar for WCBB and to surpass Tessessee's 8 championships. We have had about 6 times when we looked like the best team, but ran into injuries, foul trouble, etc. and did not win the title. I agree that the comeback against Texas was exciting, but so was last year's OT loss. The close games can go either way. I'd rather have a win like the 2009 final game than an exciting loss. To win a championship, having a large margin for error really helps. You seem to prefer the close games more.

I don't feel any sense of entitlement. Some kids want other locations, other programs, other coaches, etc. I understand that. Generally speaking, I think Geno develops talent better than any other coach--see the Olympic team--but there are other excellent coaches and programs. I think it is amazing that he gets the kids he does. I feel fortunate to be a UConn plan and have had the opportunity to see players like Maya Moore put on the UConn uniform over 150 times.

I'm with you MH.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I don't believe there's a sense of entitlement among UConn fans. I believe a lot of the feelings expressed on the Boneyard about this subject comes more from a sense of wonder at why high school basketball players aren't jumping at committing to a school that that has had an incredibly successful program for many years and has one of the great coaches of all-time. It's like being a Yankee fan and wondering why any baseball player would not jump at the chance of playing in Yankee pinstripes. Back to UConn, it's hard to imagine a recruit, especially one who knows UConn is interested, not jumping at the chance to wear the same uniform that was worn by Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Diana Taurasi, Renee Montgomery, Tina Charles and Maya Moore, among others. That's pretty impressive company. That's just my sense of this issue.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I don't believe there's a sense of entitlement among UConn fans. I believe a lot of the feelings expressed on the Boneyard about this subject comes more from a sense of wonder at why high school basketball players aren't jumping at committing to a school that that has had an incredibly successful program for many years and has one of the great coaches of all-time. It's like being a Yankee fan and wondering why any baseball player would not jump at the chance of playing in Yankee pinstripes. Back to UConn, it's hard to imagine a recruit, especially one who knows UConn is interested, not jumping at the chance to wear the same uniform that was worn by Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Diana Taurasi, Renee Montgomery, Tina Charles and Maya Moore, among others. That's pretty impressive company. That's just my sense of this issue.
And a lot of people would say that your comments about what HS girls "should" do is exactly what a sense of entitlement is.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
And a lot of people would say that your comments about what HS girls "should" do is exactly what a sense of entitlement is.

Speedoo, I didn't say anything about what a HS girl should be feeling or should do!! Just the opposite. I simply was expressing my view about what Boneyard posters may be feeling. Try reading messages a little slower and more carefully before rushing to make insulting and incorrect conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom