Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Staley, Hatchell, Payton, and Pitino would be my top picks

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Staley, Hatchell, Payton, and Pitino would be my top picks

Why Hatchell ?? Because of the 900 wins?? If you have coached for 50 years like Hatchell has... its fairly easy to pick up 900 wins.

Reaction Score
Why Hatchell ?? Because of the 900 wins?? If you have coached for 50 years like Hatchell has... its fairly easy to pick up 900 wins.

I'm not saying she's the greatest coach but 900 wins, 1 NC, 3 national coach of year - what more should a coach need to do to get in the hof? And I disagree on the wins. If it were so easy, more coaches would've done it. She still managed to win 74% of her games.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not saying she's the greatest coach but 900 wins, 1 NC, 3 national coach of year - what more should a coach need to do to get in the hof? And I disagree on the wins. If it were so easy, more coaches would've done it. She still managed to win 74% of her games.
I'm with you. We have discussed this several times on the BY.

I don't think she's the greatest coach ever, but she is solid and has survived a long career with more than respectable success. I don't think the Naismith's criteria for women is 100% clear, but the coaches that are in are the ones that should be, IMO.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Too bad for Rebecca but It's still early for her. Possibly not considered in this year's group as voters may have felt she had a rather short & uneventful pro career. However her contributions as the best player on the best team at a pivotal time for WCBB should get her in at some point.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Amen to Blue's point. Rebecca was THE face of women's basketball....pro and college alike....and her presence helped spark the birth of 2 pro leagues....one of which is still standing after 16 years or so[not sure that many predicted that].

That makes her a huge contributor worthy of inclusion. Hmm...each honoree gets to select a presenter wh0 has to be a member of the HOF. Hopefully Geno will have to compose a speech in the near future.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Certainly hope Rebecca gets the call one day. Still my fav Uconn of all time.

Hatchell. averaging 20+ wins each year over her whole career is a very nice stat, even without a bunch of NC's. If i remember right, Don Nelson was inducted last year as the NBA Coach with the most wins. I believe he was also the NBA coach with the most losses.

I hope both of the women's finalists get in. There are far too few. I wish they would change the rules and allow more women to become finalists in any given year. Dawn has a good shot imo. Maybe only reason she wont is because I think she is 1st time finalist. If Cooper didnt get in first time as finalist, should Dawn?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All I can say is it was WRONG.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
I want her in as well.

NHOF I hope changes the criteria and allows more than 2 to be pushed to finalists. That is a biggie. Its been that way since the 80s and womens basketball has grown quite a bit. With the ABL and WNBA, they need to increase that number.

my fear with Rebecca is that there will be some big names coming down the pike. Leslie, eventually players like Smith and others. Timing is everything.

I would like to say that if you really love the game, put the induction on your 'bucket list' When I was there last year with the All American Red Heads, it blew me away. I was sitting directly in front of Jody Conradt, 2 seats behind Larry Bird. you name the name and they were all there.

Going on stage with the Red Heads as they were inducted is the pinnacle for me. Seeing people like Kareen, Magic, larry, MJ, standing and applauding us with Dr J as the presenter was a moment in my life I will never ever forget.

I remember the owner of the Red Heads telling me that a early director of the NHOF that women would never be inducted, even though he loved the RH's. To see this team become the first women's team ever inducted had tears in my eyes all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom