Fuller: Griner and Auriemma to be reunited | The Boneyard

Fuller: Griner and Auriemma to be reunited

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I hate that Mulkey doesn't run more of the stuff that Geno described. The ability to dunk like she can is so rare. I really had hoped for an alley-oop set or two but I dont think it will ever happen. Maybe Geno having coached male players is more willing to incorporate more athletic plays than Mulkey is willing to or capable of.

Can you imagine if Geno had BG for four years. She would be the greatest of all time.

Thanks for the link. Good read.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno coached male players?

That's what it said in the article that this link goes to.

"You just kind of smile and say I haven't seen that in one of my practices since I coached the guys' AAU team that my son played on. That is how those guys would end every drill. I just started smiling and saying it must be good to go to practice."

Reaction Score
Geno coached male players?

He coached his son's AAU team, which featured some future DI basketball players along with Aaron Hernandez, a starting tight end for the New England Patriots.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hate that Mulkey doesn't run more of the stuff that Geno described. The ability to dunk like
she can is so rare. I really had hoped for an alley-oop set or two but I dont think it will ever happen. Maybe Geno having coached male players is more willing to incorporate more athletic plays than Mulkey is willing to or capable of.

Can you imagine if Geno had BG for four years. She would be the greatest of all time.

Thanks for the link. Good read.

I have immense respect for Kim and her assistants, but I am nevertheless intrigued to see what Geno and CD would have done with a player like Griner. Geno is responsible for the overall offensive and defensive design, but Chris is primarily responsible for development of posts. Their combined track record with post players is pretty impressive, be it a 6'7" "project" like Kara Wolters or a national high school #1 phenom like Tina Charles. Can't even imagine what they'd do with a physical specimen like BG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have immense respect for Kim and her assistants, but I am nevertheless intrigued to see what Geno and CD would have done with a player like Griner. Geno is responsible for the overall offensive and defensive design, but Chris is primarily responsible for development of posts. Their combined track record with post players is pretty impressive, be it a 6'7" "project" like Kara Wolters or a national high school #1 phenom like Tina Charles. Can't even imagine what they'd do with a physical specimen like BG.

I am so thankful that BG came to Baylor, but deep in my heart I feel that she would have reached greater heights in her development had she been coached by Geno.

I remember in BG's freshman year a reporter asked Mulkey how you coach a player like Griner and her reply was "you coach her just like any other player." At that point I wondered how creative Mulkey would be in using such a unique talent. Geno would be doing things with her that typically can only be done with a male player. That is one reason I hope she makes the Olympic team. I want to see Geno mold her some more. From reading that article he gained great joy in having BG to work with.

I've heard many UCONN fans say that they think BG is not mean enough, and I agree. However, after that punching incident I think that she is still holding back with her aggression. I think that Geno would have brought out her meaner, tougher side. But, I am not sure that most WBB fans are ready for a player that is so physically dominating and intimidating.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He coached his son's AAU team, which featured some future DI basketball players along with Aaron Hernandez, a starting tight end for the New England Patriots.
Geno coached the Connecticut Nike All-Stars to 3rd or 4th? place in the boys nationals. I think Damian Saunders from Waterbury was on that team, too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, that I knew, but I thought ETT meant a level higher than that. I didn't make it to the bottom of the column.

Reaction Score
If BG had come to UCONN she would have left with 4 National Championships. Just think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom