Fubo files the most important anti-trust case to realignment | The Boneyard

Fubo files the most important anti-trust case to realignment

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think I am rooting for Fubo. A cartel of Warner, Disney(ESPN) and Fox Sports would crush broadcasting fees paid to school. On the other hand, it may start a sprint by the conferences for content where the top conferences scoop up whole leagues to try to balance the playing field. Either way, if Fubo blows up this alliance, it will definitely have an impact on college sports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Or maybe these are the most important anti-trust cases to realignment. This may be what UConn is waiting for. The House case could annihilate several athletic departments that generated and blew billions of dollars of revenue the last 30 years. The bill for a school like Texas or Ohio State is going to be stratospheric if they lose that case. Rutgers' athletic department may be better off filing for bankruptcy than continuing forward.

Reaction Score
I suppose at some level they're absolutely communi sting because that's how you do multinetwork deals so it'll be interesting if something comes out of discovery.

Reaction Score

Or maybe these are the most important anti-trust cases to realignment. This may be what UConn is waiting for. The House case could annihilate several athletic departments that generated and blew billions of dollars of revenue the last 30 years. The bill for a school like Texas or Ohio State is going to be stratospheric if they lose that case. Rutgers' athletic department may be better off filing for bankruptcy than continuing forward.
The House case was a disaster for UConn and all basketball centric schools.
Football players are being paid by an association they didn’t contribute a penny to that was totally funded by men’s basketball. Reduction rather than increases to NCAA units are more likely. For the Big who got 30% of their revenue from that tourney that’s devastating.
Im not sure if we survive another debacle like that. I’m not cheering for any lawsuits .
as their outcome is never known .

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The House case was a disaster for UConn and all basketball centric schools.
Football players are being paid by an association they didn’t contribute a penny to that was totally funded by men’s basketball. Reduction rather than increases to NCAA units are more likely. For the Big who got 30% of their revenue from that tourney that’s devastating.
Im not sure if we survive another debacle like that. I’m not cheering for any lawsuits .
as their outcome is never known .

You keep rooting for the status quo and see where that gets us. If it wasn't for the lawsuit in 2003, UConn would have 5 fewer men's national championships in basketball and have never made the Fiesta Bowl.

The House decision was odd in that non-P4 schools paid any of the back penalties, much less a sizable chunk of them. Either that action will result in lawsuits or there is something none of the writers covering it understand. Most of the schools impacted receive nominal revenue from the NCAA, so they have nothing to lose by suing the NCAA to reverse the allocation if it is as bad as the histrionics from some of the writers. In any event, it was a one time charge, and it still hit the lower P4 schools pretty hard.

The second half of the House decision, regarding future payments to athletes, is UConn's last hope for getting into the P4. Many of these athletic programs can not afford an additional $20-24 million of costs, or they simply do not want to pay it. I believe this will be particularly problematic for the elite schools, who are probably not interested in sponsoring minor league sports.

Reaction Score
You keep rooting for the status quo and see where that gets us. If it wasn't for the lawsuit in 2003, UConn would have 5 fewer men's national championships in basketball and have never made the Fiesta Bowl.
How does that even work?

Reaction Score
Fubo needs to get it's own house in order as far as UConn subscribers are concerned:
Fubo no longer carries SNY (Ladies hoops), TBS & TNT (March Madness affiliates), &, since I signed on in April-Discovery owned channels Food Network & HGTV.
For a supposedly Sports-centric service, they are alienating those fans of the METS, UConn Womens Basketball, & hoops fans in general come next March.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How does that even work?

The Big East disintegrates in 2003 if it does not file that lawsuit. Okafor and Gordon may not have come back to college for 03-04 if the program was in some CUSA stub league. Even if they came back, recruiting would have gone off a cliff in CUSA, and Calhoun would have left for a program that could pay him and compete. The program would have collapsed and become UMass or worse by 2006.

Reaction Score
Certainly glad he stayed. SC offered him more money and he had a house down there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom