FSU to the B1G? | The Boneyard

FSU to the B1G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big Ten, unlike the ACC, can afford to actually stick to the academic standards they profess.

FSU to the Big Ten? Not any time soon.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we go to the Big Ten before Florida State - and we're not going.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. All I'm saying is that absolutely no one should assume that the Big Ten wouldn't take Florida State on the basis of academics any more than people assumed that the ACC wouldn't take Louisville on that same basis (and I was one of those people). There is one word that Jim Delany has said about 1000 times over the past 3 weeks: demographics. There are demographics in "normal" markets, and then there are DEMOGRAPHICS, and the state of Florida (along with Texas) is in that latter capitalized category. If the Big Ten is willing to skip over states to go to Georgia Tech (and many people that know better than I do believe they are willing to do just that), then it's not exactly a stretch to say that they'd pair GT up with FSU that's a 4 hour drive away from Atlanta. Plus, the Big Ten actually has a LOT more alums in Florida compared to almost every other non-Midwestern state. Look at the conference's top bowl tie-ins after the Rose Bowl: Capital One (Orlando), Outback (Tampa), Gator (Jacksonville) and now the Orange on top of them (Miami). That's NOT an accident - the conference is going to where the most Big Ten alums actually live in order to maximize the synergies and that's partly why the Big Ten has such gaudy bowl traveling numbers despite being having campuses far away on paper. FSU is higher ranked than Nebraska in the US News rankings (#97) and higher than a host of AAU schools that the Big Ten has looked at before such as Missouri and Kansas, so they're far from a complete academic wasteland (and way less of an academic stretch than what Louisville was for the ACC). Technically, FSU isn't a flagship, but they're the equivalent of flagship just like Texas A&M or UCLA in terms of funding, fan support, culture and fan base size.

Plus, don't look at it as FSU alone, but rather whether the Big Ten is willing to add FSU plus another top notch Southern academic school (GT or UVA) along with them that will make the academic elites happy. I think they will be at least very open to that possibility. Most importantly, outside of adding either Texas or Florida (both of which are non-options for the Big Ten at this time), FSU is the single most valuable school in terms of dollars that the Big Ten could add. This is a school that will legitimately force basic carriage of the BTN in its entire massive state all by itself because the college fandom is multitudes more passionate down there. (I think Maryland can do that, but can't say with 100% certainty about Rutgers or any combo of teams in the NYC market.) As a result, it would be unwise to sleep on FSU. Assuming that the Big Ten is just going to let the University of Texas pair up with the delivery of the entire state of Florida when FSU has effectively called itself a free agent is a VERY dangerous assumption.

pj

Reaction Score
Frank, I agree, Florida State makes far more sense for the B1G than Georgia Tech. And it doesn't have the political obstacles that UNC or UVa would have (leaving NC State / Va Tech in the lurch). So it could happen quickly.

I still think the B12 grabs Florida State, but Florida State and UConn to B1G would make me very happy. That would put a lot of pressure on UNC/UVa to consider a new conference and on the SEC/B12 to poach the ACC before the best schools are gone. ND would be up for grabs too.

You're probably right that FSU might want a Southern companion school, which would be bad news for UConn. But maybe the B1G would go to 18 or even more.

I think Ga Tech is a loss for the B1G if it's the only southern school in the league, but if FSU and maybe other ACC refugees like UVa/UNC join, then it would retain its fans.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Frank, I agree, Florida State makes far more sense for the B1G than Georgia Tech. And it doesn't have the political obstacles that UNC or UVa would have (leaving NC State / Va Tech in the lurch). So it could happen quickly.

I still think the B12 grabs Florida State, but Florida State and UConn to B1G would make me very happy. That would put a lot of pressure on UNC/UVa to consider a new conference and on the SEC/B12 to poach the ACC before the best schools are gone. ND would be up for grabs too.

You're probably right that FSU might want a Southern companion school, which would be bad news for UConn. But maybe the B1G would go to 18 or even more.

I think Ga Tech is a loss for the B1G if it's the only southern school in the league, but if FSU and maybe other ACC refugees like UVa/UNC join, then it would retain its fans.

If FSU goes north, and I doubt it, they will absolutely not be paired with a Yankee school they didin't even want in the ACC. They can't be isolated, so Clemson or GT goes with them. Possibly Miami if they don't get a death penalty.

But I still think the odds are slim due to cultural issues. I wonder if the B1G could lure Colorado, to pair with Kansas. Colorado has solid demographics and is growing rapidly. I don't see them leapfrogging several states to go play in the SEC's sandbox.

pj

Reaction Score
FSU is going for money. If being paired with UConn gets them Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and $40 mn/yr, that's very different that bringing UConn into the ACC.

FSU is the biggest prize of the ACC along with UNC. But more importantly, they are the most eager to leave -- the only school other than Maryland to vote against the exit fee increase. So if the B1G wants them and they want the B1G, it can happen right away. If no one else is ready to jump, UConn makes a pair.

The companion school issue is why I think FSU to the B12 is most likely -- the B12 has room to take 4-6 schools from the ACC. But FSU to the B1G would force more movement out of the ACC, and free up NC/Va schools for the B1G and SEC.

caw

Reaction Score
FSU is going for money. If being paired with UConn gets them Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and $40 mn/yr, that's very different that bringing UConn into the ACC.

FSU is the biggest prize of the ACC along with UNC. But more importantly, they are the most eager to leave -- the only school other than Maryland to vote against the exit fee increase. So if the B1G wants them and they want the B1G, it can happen right away. If no one else is ready to jump, UConn makes a pair.

The companion school issue is why I think FSU to the B12 is most likely -- the B12 has room to take 4-6 schools from the ACC. But FSU to the B1G would force more movement out of the ACC, and free up NC/Va schools for the B1G and SEC.

Theoretically, if Delany wanted FSU:

I think Delany will get who he wants and if FSU wants someone he doesn't, he won't budge for them. Of course if FSU wants a southern school that Delany is OK with, well...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if delany wanted fsu, he would have added them before ruty or md. by adding ruty and md he set off the alerts around the confs and fsu has been and is now #shoppingharder. if he wanted fsu he would not have left them in this position they are in right now. he risks losing fsu to the b12 or sec. while that may seem silly fsu could value a eastern division of fsu/clem/gt/miami and crew over playing all north schools for the rest of its life and if the b10 came sniffing dont u think the sec would consider protecting turf now more than ever? any fsu talk is just more smoke out talk for uva to hear. no ay the b10 would add fsu now imho as if they were a serious contender they would have been picked by the b10 already. nebraska would have not been picked and fsu would have it this was ever a serious thing.

Reaction Score
if delany wanted fsu, he would have added them before ruty or md. by adding ruty and md he set off the alerts around the confs and fsu has been and is now #shoppingharder. if he wanted fsu he would not have left them in this position they are in right now. he risks losing fsu to the b12 or sec. while that may seem silly fsu could value a eastern division of fsu/clem/gt/miami and crew over playing all north schools for the rest of its life and if the b10 came sniffing dont u think the sec would consider protecting turf now more than ever? any fsu talk is just more smoke out talk for uva to hear. no ay the b10 would add fsu now imho as if they were a serious contender they would have been picked by the b10 already. nebraska would have not been picked and fsu would have it this was ever a serious thing.

Disagree strongly for several reasons (though I'm not of the opinion they're going after Florida State, but I don't agree with the logic here).

1. They wanted to go ahead and knock out Penn State's preferences to keep them happy. The Big Ten fully intended to find some East coast traveling partners for Penn State, and it was pointless to prolong that any further.

2. Getting Florida State wasn't as easy as snapping their fingers. It was likely to require shaking the ACC a bit more before it could be possible. Getting Rutgers and Maryland first would help crack FSU's resolve to staying in the ACC.

You may well be right the Big Ten isn't really interest in Florida State. But I wholeheartedly disagree that if they wanted them, they'd gone after them by now. The Big Ten's plan for expansion has been very calculating and deliberate. Everything they do is strategic. There are a lot of schools they want and haven't gone after yet. It's because they know it will require maneuvering.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The B1G could not be clearer in what they are looking for by adding Maryland and Rutgers. FSU is not the same thing. Florida is a crowded market that will have the SEC, ACC, Big East and possibly the Big 12 in it no matter what Delaney does. He can't change the fact that it is a very crowded market that is ultimately going to be won by the SEC, to the extent anyone "wins" it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Disagree strongly for several reasons (though I'm not of the opinion they're going after Florida State, but I don't agree with the logic here).

1. They wanted to go ahead and knock out Penn State's preferences to keep them happy. The Big Ten fully intended to find some East coast traveling partners for Penn State, and it was pointless to prolong that any further.

2. Getting Florida State wasn't as easy as snapping their fingers. It was likely to require shaking the ACC a bit more before it could be possible. Getting Rutgers and Maryland first would help crack FSU's resolve to staying in the ACC.

You may well be right the Big Ten isn't really interest in Florida State. But I wholeheartedly disagree that if they wanted them, they'd gone after them by now. The Big Ten's plan for expansion has been very calculating and deliberate. Everything they do is strategic. There are a lot of schools they want and haven't gone after yet. It's because they know it will require maneuvering.

1) keep psu happy? psu is lucky to be in the b10 still after the past 2 years of stuff. the b10 owes psu nothing. do u know what traveling partners are? its so schools other sports can travel to a region and play multipe teams within a week and travel home. psu is close enough to tosu that it happens now when minn girls volleyball flys east. travel partners ranked just under club swimming in this. psu was not a far away reach like bc was in the acc 2010 or wvu is today in the b12. not even close.

2) it would be for the b10. if there was real interest between both $ talks and fsu would jump at that plus the academic help in a second, they would however make sure several southern schools go with so they aren't a fish out of water. now that the b10 filled 2 slots with foorptint schools thats not possible. fsu is shopping itself with 3 to 5 other southern acc schools to go together to the b12 so they can have there east coast division with wvu who they wanted in the acc years ago anyway. it allwos fsu bigger money, a bcs bid to play for and still lets them play the teams they want to play. if fsu was ever going to the b10 then yes md would be one of those connecting schools to add to the b10 with fsu and crew, but ruty would not have been due to how many slots u could possible have available vs fill.

just my 2 cents in it.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten, unlike the ACC, can afford to actually stick to the academic standards they profess.

FSU to the Big Ten? Not any time soon.

I agree. It makes sense athletically. and FSU would love it. But I don't see the Big 10 signing on academically (even if Nebraska is not much different).

pj

Reaction Score
Identity-wise, the B12 with multiple ACC schools jumping makes more sense.

Maryland and Rutgers, the B1G was going to do with or without FSU. That's been in the works for years.

Reaction Score
1) keep psu happy? psu is lucky to be in the b10 still after the past 2 years of stuff. the b10 owes psu nothing. do u know what traveling partners are? its so schools other sports can travel to a region and play multipe teams within a week and travel home. psu is close enough to tosu that it happens now when minn girls volleyball flys east. travel partners ranked just under club swimming in this. psu was not a far away reach like bc was in the acc 2010 or wvu is today in the b12. not even close.

2) it would be for the b10. if there was real interest between both $ talks and fsu would jump at that plus the academic help in a second, they would however make sure several southern schools go with so they aren't a fish out of water. now that the b10 filled 2 slots with foorptint schools thats not possible. fsu is shopping itself with 3 to 5 other southern acc schools to go together to the b12 so they can have there east coast division with wvu who they wanted in the acc years ago anyway. it allwos fsu bigger money, a bcs bid to play for and still lets them play the teams they want to play. if fsu was ever going to the b10 then yes md would be one of those connecting schools to add to the b10 with fsu and crew, but ruty would not have been due to how many slots u could possible have available vs fill.

just my 2 cents in it.

Read Barry Alvarez' comments today. He said, matter of factly, that one of the reasons they got Maryland and Rutgers was out of concern that Penn State was thinking of leaving. Regardless of what happened there the last few years, the Big Ten values Penn State and didn't want to risk losing them. All the other stuff is non-sequitur.

Florida State was no more likely to go the Big Ten alone previously than it is now. If the Big Ten wants Florida State right now, if the reports are to be believed, they could get them. Nothing has really changed. And if they're a package deal with Clemson, then they would have been a package deal with Clemson before.

The Big Ten is in the same situation with Florida State it was a year ago.

Reaction Score
Theoretically, if Delany wanted FSU:

I think Delany will get who he wants and if FSU wants someone he doesn't, he won't budge for them. Of course if FSU wants a southern school that Delany is OK with, well...
Delaney would get who he wants as team #2 with FSU unless Slive was on line 2, which doesn't seem to be very likely right now. FSU's president will say yes, sir to just about anything Delaney were to propose.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Read Barry Alvarez' comments today. He said, matter of factly, that one of the reasons they got Maryland and Rutgers was out of concern that Penn State was thinking of leaving. Regardless of what happened there the last few years, the Big Ten values Penn State and didn't want to risk losing them. All the other stuff is non-sequitur.

Florida State was no more likely to go the Big Ten alone previously than it is now. If the Big Ten wants Florida State right now, if the reports are to be believed, they could get them. Nothing has really changed. And if they're a package deal with Clemson, then they would have been a package deal with Clemson before.

The Big Ten is in the same situation with Florida State it was a year ago.

i saw them in the b10 thread. are u telling me u believe that? whats the motive for him to say such a thing? why would he put out there that the b10 was feeling weak/vulnerbale for a bit? what hes doing is making up a story so that the b10 doesn't look like some evil empire in the making when it comes to killing off the acc. soften the media perception as to why u added a acc team and then strike again and the next time make it look like uva had no other option becuase the acc wasn't what it was years ago and is falling apart. its all a act.

where was psu going? are u telling me that psu and everything they have in the b10 wanted to leave for the b12, sec or acc? please given me 1 reason why psu would leave the b10 for any of those confs. 1 legit reason. if the first argument your going to look at making is travel then dont bother. look at this map. psu is just as close to tosu/mich/msu/pur/ind as it is tobacco road. let alone florida type travel. the psu travel thing is silly, not to mention if u got paid like psu does for fball from the b10 vs the acc for starters also...

a fsu and clem package deal to the b10? i will never post here again if that happens. the .00000000001% chance that fsu goes to the b10, then gtech will be the partner not clemson.

Reaction Score
i saw them in the b10 thread. are u telling me u believe that? whats the motive for him to say such a thing? why would he put out there that the b10 was feeling weak/vulnerbale for a bit? what hes doing is making up a story so that the b10 doesn't look like some evil empire in the making when it comes to killing off the acc. soften the media perception as to why u added a acc team and then strike again and the next time make it look like uva had no other option becuase the acc wasn't what it was years ago and is falling apart. its all a act.

where was psu going? are u telling me that psu and everything they have in the b10 wanted to leave for the b12, sec or acc? please given me 1 reason why psu would leave the b10 for any of those confs. 1 legit reason. if the first argument your going to look at making is travel then dont bother. look at this map. psu is just as close to tosu/mich/msu/pur/ind as it is tobacco road. let alone florida type travel. the psu travel thing is silly, not to mention if u got paid like psu does for fball from the b10 vs the acc for starters also...

a fsu and clem package deal to the b10? i will never post here again if that happens. the .00000000001% chance that fsu goes to the b10, then gtech will be the partner not clemson.

I absolutely believe that because it's what I heard all along. Penn State had been pushing for Maryland and Rutgers for two years. Even without Alvarez' comments today, I would have responded to your post in the exact same way because I'm extremely confident it's the case. In fact, I believe I even made such comments to that affect on the Syracuse board a year ago.

The ACC had been 'recruiting' Penn State quietly for a year. Then to make matters worse, more recently, Notre Dame had been trying to poach Penn State. The Big Ten decided it was time to close the door on any possibility of that ever happening.

Penn State, ever since joining the Big Ten, has felt like outsiders. Their football program has struggled and the one rival they've had (Ohio State) will never be their biggest rival simply because of Michigan. They have never fully assimilated to the league because they are a five hour drive East of the next closest school. In the ACC, they would have been flanked by BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Maryland, at least.

Now the Big Ten has added two teams that can be natural rivals and exist in recruiting territories that Penn State has always targeted. I don't think it was a given that Penn State would have left, but it was of growing concern that Penn State would target an East coast identity if they didn't get one from the Big Ten. While the B1G always planned on expanding eastward, they wanted to make sure they didn't wait any longer to give Penn State more ammo.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No way. Academiclly it is hard to find a state university ranked lower than FSU unless the criteria is circus courses. They are the joke of the Florida university system.
This is their reputation, but you are exaggerating. They are one spot behind U. Vermont in the US news rankings and ahead of Colorado, Mizzou and others.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No way. Academiclly it is hard to find a state university ranked lower than FSU unless the criteria is circus courses. They are the joke of the Florida university system.

Except these: ucf, usf, Houston, Cincinnati, Louisville, Boise St, San Diego, St., Memphis.... Are you seeing a pattern?

FSU is not that bad. They are pretty average.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If FSU goes north, and I doubt it, they will absolutely not be paired with a Yankee school they didin't even want in the ACC. They can't be isolated, so Clemson or GT goes with them. Possibly Miami if they don't get a death penalty.

But I still think the odds are slim due to cultural issues. I wonder if the B1G could lure Colorado, to pair with Kansas. Colorado has solid demographics and is growing rapidly. I don't see them leapfrogging several states to go play in the SEC's sandbox.

What in the world would the B1G want with Colorado and Kansas? Colorado is growing rapidly? Let me know when it and Kansas are projected to reach 60 million souls. The northeast is projected to contain 58+ million in 2025, the same year the Front Range super region (the one that contains Colorado) has 6.8 million. Kansas doesn't even move the dial. What would possess Delaney to look at Colorado?

Reaction Score

Before I join HFD's "never again" pledge, I'd like to say that for anybody who seriously thinks a school south of Charlottesville is joining the B1G, I got a really nice suit of emporer's clothing available at a reasonable price. Almost new. Worn once.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Before I join HFD's "never again" pledge, I'd like to say that for anybody who seriously thinks a school south of Charlottesville is joining the B1G, I got a really nice suit of emporer's clothing available at a reasonable price. Almost new. Worn once.

how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104