FSU still monitoring the situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FSU still monitoring the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Translation:
1. Travel is attractive in the SEC for FSU, but FSU doesn't bring anything to the table to the SEC revenue wise that Florida already isn't, so not an option.

2. B1G and Big XII aren't financially attractive. Travel is terrible for West Virginia in the Big XII and Maryland will be getting less for a long time TV wise in the B1G, and travel is terrible for Florida State should it go there either.

3. ACC is the most attractive place for Florida State at this point in time and in the near future. But, we have our eyes open should something change.

Not sure that there is anything earth shattering here.

Yeah I think this is about the right read. They want the SEC but its never going to happen and the Big12 wants them but it doesn't help the bottomline and would be a worse place for other reasons.

I think they are keeping their eyes on the B10, but who isn't.

Reaction Score
He just openly said they want to be in the SEC but since they don't add value there (market duplication) they don't see that as an option.

What he's really saying is Big 12 and B1G we are ready to talk cause because you have no current presence in our market and we can add value for you for the right price for us. I would not read into the authors speculation just read the AD quotes and then the picture is clear.

The only quotes actually about conference expansion are:

Spetman said:
"It's not done," he said. "I watch it every day, reading something about it every day, trying to get a sense and calling my counterparts and seeing where they're really at."

which doesn't say much other than that he is not committing AD malpractice

and

Spetman said:
"Unless you bring in a revenue for them so that they don't reduce their conference distribution to themselves, they aren't going to bring you in," Spetman said. "That's what I don't think people evaluate as much. It would be great to be in the SEC with our radius of schools and the way our fans travel and their fans travel, but if they bring Florida State into the SEC, I'm trying to see, how do we sell that we bring them enough additional revenue that we pay for ourselves and they make more money off of us? They have Florida just two hours away that has the TV market here."

I don't see which part means being ready to talk to B12 or B1G at all really.

there is also this: "We've had conversations at the senior level about what we should consider," Spetman said. "There will be more of those conversations -- they'll continue. It's an evolution every day."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anything other than, "we're really happy in the ACC" means "we're ready to talk to anyone about moving".

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't see which part means being ready to talk to B12 or B1G at all really.

there is also this: "We've had conversations at the senior level about what we should consider," Spetman said. "There will be more of those conversations -- they'll continue. It's an evolution every day."

He's playing the game. He's sending signals to B1G and Big 12. He never said anything that they weren't options. He wouldn't come out and say anything about realignment unless they wanted to be somewhere else.

Keep stirring the pot. We need more movement.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Anything other than, "we're really happy in the ACC" means "we're ready to talk to anyone about moving".
This!

Reaction Score
Sounds like the SEC is their most desired landing spot. The SEC could add Clempsun and Free Shoes U, and it wouldn't dilute their precious brand one bit.

Reaction Score
It is a little different when the CEO of Apple is monitoring vs. when the CEO of Gateway computers is monitoring. Thus it is with FSU & UConn - FSU has the luxury of monitoring, we do not.

No kidding. More like the NFL Commissioner monitoring vs when the Commissioner of the Canadien Football League is monitoring.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sounds like the SEC is their most desired landing spot. The SEC could add Clempsun and Free Shoes U, and it wouldn't dilute their precious brand one bit.

In a nutshell, what Florida State is thinking is, "Exactly whose dick do we have to suck to get an SEC invite?"

Reaction Score
Translation:
1. Travel is attractive in the SEC for FSU, but FSU doesn't bring anything to the table to the SEC revenue wise that Florida already isn't, so not an option.

2. B1G and Big XII aren't financially attractive. Travel is terrible for West Virginia in the Big XII and Maryland will be getting less for a long time TV wise in the B1G, and travel is terrible for Florida State should it go there either.

3. ACC is the most attractive place for Florida State at this point in time and in the near future. But, we have our eyes open should something change.

Not sure that there is anything earth shattering here.

Agree, the SEC is their preference. They could travel relatively cheaply. But they know in this environment what ::they bring to the table matters, money. And that's through additional TV sets and has a $ number which he doesn't think they meet. Now they see that WV possibly not thought out move to get out of the BE at any cost isn't so profitable.

So he is saying if someone other than the SEC wants the Florida market for real (meaning that the BE went to Florida with leftovers) they will have to compensate for the distance.

Meaning SEC doesn't need FSU so B1G or B12 you have to make it really attractive for us to come to you. Will Texas sign up for this? Maybe if they see their monopoly in trouble. Will B1G want to give a better deal? I guess that depends on how they view the FL market for TV sets.

If WVU travel situation is as bad as reported would the B1G compensate FSU? Do they bring enough tv sets to pay for this long distant travel? Do they really have a chance in Oct/Nov to win games BG1 on the road. I expect the coaches want nothing to do with the BG1

I think they are signaling the B12 that they have to have a better deal then WVU.

Yes they asked for Louisville knowing that that was their competition for the B12. Louisville bit and now they are the first option for and best option for the B12

Reaction Score
Well of course the situation is different now, isn't it? FSU is in if not a solid place, certainly one far superior to UConn's. And he didn't just claim to be monitoring the situation as a school that is inferior in almost every measurable beat his school out for a coveted spot in another conference. Context matters. When you're monitoring to determine if you should move, tha tis very different from monitoring as you get bypassed. I'm as much of a Manuel fan as there is here I guess, or at least I don't want him to be fired, but I get the difference.

Correction the football may be a little better at FSU (not a guarantee, but likely). The baseball is probably better, but they don't compete in the north. After that . . . . don't talk about the athletic programs. Has FSU even won an ACC conference regular season? Or conference tourney?

Reaction Score
In a nutshell, what Florida State is thinking is, "Exactly whose dick do we have to suck to get an SEC invite?"

Actually, it sounds like "we offered to set SEC Presidents with some of Florida's most prestigious hookers, at no expense to them, and for whatever dumb reason they are just not going to let us in."

Reaction Score
Correction the football may be a little better at FSU (not a guarantee, but likely). The baseball is probably better, but they don't compete in the north. After that . . . . don't talk about the athletic programs. Has FSU even won an ACC conference regular season? Or conference tourney?
I guess I wasn't clear. I was only comparing our conference situation to FSU's. They are in a much better place than we are, so if they mess up by monitoring, their worst case is they stay in the ACC. When our AD monitors, our worst case was being left behind in a disintegrating Big East. As far as superior measurables, I was comparing UConn and Louisville, who beat us out for the ACC.

Reaction Score

Nor would it add to the SEC brand either. It would just lower the payout per SEC school.

Reaction Score
I read this is the ACC is Florida State’s best choice right now bar a surprise invite from the SEC. FSU does not think that the XII is any better than the ACC and does not want to deal with the extra travel nor the prima donna in Austin. As for the B1G, that makes no sense right now. But, with FSU pushing for AAU in 5 years and say the B1G adds UVA, UNC, and G Tech beforehand, then the B1G’s top concern (AAU) is met and FSU’s top concern (regional travel) is met. Picture a 20 school B1G with 4x 5 team pods. The south pod would be: 1) Florida St, 2) Georgia Tech, 3) UNC, 4) UVA, and 5) either Maryland (if the B1G adds another northern team) or Duke (to appease UNC). That is the same travel schedule that FSU currently has.

Reaction Score
Nor would it add to the SEC brand either. It would just lower the payout per SEC school.

The SEC can basically print it's own money. If they can strengthen the conference, they'll make up for it somehow and then some.

Reaction Score
Then add UConn and give Vandy and Kentucky and Mississippi and Mississippi State another opponent they might be able to beat.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Sounds like a frank assessment of the situation and the conclusion is that FSU is better off staying right where they are.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
And the unwritten message from the FSU AD is that they'd likely be against any ACC addition that doesn'tadd value to the current contract.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It won't dilute the brand, but it will dilllute the amount of money each team in the conference gets. FSU is a non-starter for the SEC.

Reaction Score
I read this is the ACC is Florida State’s best choice right now bar a surprise invite from the SEC. FSU does not think that the XII is any better than the ACC and does not want to deal with the extra travel nor the prima donna in Austin. As for the B1G, that makes no sense right now. But, with FSU pushing for AAU in 5 years and say the B1G adds UVA, UNC, and G Tech beforehand, then the B1G’s top concern (AAU) is met and FSU’s top concern (regional travel) is met. Picture a 20 school B1G with 4x 5 team pods. The south pod would be: 1) Florida St, 2) Georgia Tech, 3) UNC, 4) UVA, and 5) either Maryland (if the B1G adds another northern team) or Duke (to appease UNC). That is the same travel schedule that FSU currently has.

Yup, no chance to SEC, not one of Bama, Auburn, UF (especially), etc. wants more recruiting competition or to have a harder road to the NC. Plus the UF home territory issues described in the post earlier.

And B12 is a paper tiger. It seems like more schools = not big enough money increase for the privilege of Ames, Iowa and Manhattan, Kansas.

Which leaves the B10, who has the $$ and everything else but which probably requires a lot in the meantime to happen. Gut tells me UVA and UNC probably wouldn't do it, but would B10 take Georgia tech and FSU alone? and would they go?

Reaction Score
The FSU President made the point a couple years back that none of the other coaches at FSU wanted to leave the ACC and that winning titles in the ACC is easier for FSU Football than the Big 12 or SEC and the visibility of being the ACC champion offsets some other considerations. They play Florida every year, have a 9-game conference schedule, and now have ND every 3 years,

Think you are right on here. If they have a good shot at the ACC title every year and can pull off wins against UF and ND, they could playing in the final game - at least with that type of schedule they have a shot and something to sell recruits and ticket buyers/contributors..

I think they keep making noise about the SEC and B1G just to keep their leverage over the ACC board. My guess is that it is working.

Reaction Score
Think you are right on here. If they have a good shot at the ACC title every year and can pull off wins against UF and ND, they could playing in the final game - at least with that type of schedule they have a shot and something to sell recruits and ticket buyers/contributors..

I think they keep making noise about the SEC and B1G just to keep their leverage over the ACC board. My guess is that it is working.

FSU fans have hated tobacco road forever, they think they get screwed on conference scheduling and they definitely do get screwed in hoops (in the off year they are half competitive) by the zebras all the time. I think the administration may understand though that they stink at football now relative to the real powers, so adding many additional games that are harder than their hardest game right now is probably not going to result in anything good in the short term.

Reaction Score
Well of course the situation is different now, isn't it? FSU is in if not a solid place, certainly one far superior to UConn's. And he didn't just claim to be monitoring the situation as a school that is inferior in almost every measurable beat his school out for a coveted spot in another conference. Context matters. When you're monitoring to determine if you should move, tha tis very different from monitoring as you get bypassed. I'm as much of a Manuel fan as there is here I guess, or at least I don't want him to be fired, but I get the difference.

Of course its different in that FSU is a football power already and we are still building. My point was both schools can't do anything until they are invited to a new place and "monitoring" is all that you can do at this point. Sure FSU is in a better situation because football brings the cash and we all know money talks. However when you take football out of the equation, I personally think its a no brainer which school offers more all around. UConn is clearly at a different level then our current conference and so is FSU.

Obviously ignoring football is unrealistic and FSU's football tradition is a major player in all of this. Again though, both schools/AD are trying to improve their current situation. UConn is in a more desperate place at this point in time but is WM supposed to go out and put us in a better conference by himself? All he can do is monitor the situation like FSU is and jump on the best opportunity when it arises. The difference in reaction to both those statements around here cracks me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom