FSU Chairman of the Board of Trustee's not in favor of adding UConn | The Boneyard

FSU Chairman of the Board of Trustee's not in favor of adding UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1280822

"Not particularly, no," Florida State Board of Trustees Chairman Andy Haggard said of whether he would be in favor of the conference adding Connecticut and Rutgers. "But I would have to hear more about it. I'd have to see where Connecticut is, and Connecticut is playing good football right now, and where Rutgers is football wise, basketball wise, TV exposure, the elements of the country that they are in and all that.

"It certainly wouldn't be my pick but it wouldn't be my decision; it would be Swofford's and the ACC presidents. But I've heard a lot of backlash against Connecticut and Rutgers coming in because it would make us more of a basketball (conference) not a football (conference). That's what I get from fans, alumni, boosters and so forth."

Not exactly music to the ears. Add FSU to the list with BC as schools that would not vote for UConn's inclusion int he ACC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They can always SECede if they don't want to consort with us Yankees!

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I'd have to see where Connecticut is, and Connecticut is playing good football right now, and where Rutgers is football wise, basketball wise, TV exposure, the elements of the country that they are in and all that.
Pretty much where Pitt and Syracuse are, or thereabouts. Did FSU have objections to their football profile, or did their objections not count for anything in the end?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
We knew BC wasn't alone in their opposition. I'm fairly certain you can add Shalala U to BCU and FSU.

Reaction Score
How does it become more of a basketball conference if Rutgers were to go there? ;)
Better question: How is it NOT more of a basketball conference with Pitt and 'Cuse?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Not as damning as some of you make it out to be. Still, it's unfortunate.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not as damning as some of you make it out to be. Still, it's unfortunate.
Agreed. He didn't say anything other than he has no idea and would need to learn alot more before making a decision. More importantly, it doesn't really matter what he thinks as he isn't the decision maker.

Reaction Score
His statements are pretty hard to argue with. Of course, you can read some positives in what he is saying also: i) I thought his statements regarding UConn were somewhat complementary. On the other hand, he seems to be saying that RU would be considered simply because of their market. ii) You can also read into it that the schools are being considered by Swofford and the presidents, despite his objections. iii) I would think the "backlash" he's hearing is from message boards and his ACC football and/or UConn hating brethren (Miami, BC, Clemson).

I have no real insight into this guy's statements, however, and it is pretty bold for him to talk considering the pressure that Flipper received for opening his trap. The fact is, we can't say how bad the ACC has been in football, and then blame FSU for wanting a more football-centric school to join. They probably had Pitt and Cuse rammed down their throat to get to 14 and add some northeast exposure. They may have even made some deals that if they approved Pitt/Cuse, additional schools would have football prowess. The good thing is that there really aren't any available schools with good football programs that look like they'd be willing to jump to the ACC. If the ACC decides to go to 16, UConn and RU might be the best available, but it sounds like FSU (or it's Chairman) would rather stay at 14.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only positive to pull from this quote is that UConn/Rutgers is a topic of discussion among the ACC schools' Boards of Trustees. The worst thing he could have said was "who?"

junglehusky

Reaction Score
And that it's not up to one Trustee or even one BOT. Though it couldn't hurt for Herbst to call them up and #BegHarder, er, I mean, at least make our case.

And I'm not surprised in the least that FSU's alums, boosters etc. are voicing their displeasure. Oh well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only positive to pull from this quote is that UConn/Rutgers is a topic of discussion among the ACC schools' Boards of Trustees. The worst thing he could have said was "who?"

Interesting insight. Same could probably be said of your presence on this board.

Reaction Score
The funny part of the quote, of course, is that our most frequent common opponent recently has been USF. We've beaten them three straight Mr. Haggard. You?

Reaction Score
His quote actually seems more negative to Rutgers. Notice all of his statements are directed at the scenario of UConn and Rutgers together. He notes we are playing good football right now, and he'd have to see where RU is basketball wise and football wise. Of course, there's nothing to worry about bball wise with us, whereas RU brings that ACC product down. Certainly, it's not a positive statement for us, but the title of this thread is a bit misleading. He's not in favor of UConn AND RU. Is he in favor of UConn and someone else - ND/WVU/?, we don't know. I would say with some certainty that he'd be against RU and ND/WVU/?.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Well... not to be a Debbie Downer, but I would guess he misspoke or there was an error in the transcription. I'm guessing he meant to say:

I'd have to see where Connecticut is, and {whether} Connecticut is playing good football right now, and where Rutgers is football wise...

I mean, I know we're talking about ACC football standards here and not SEC, but if we've been playing "good football" this year then I've been asleep for all of it.

Reaction Score
Actually, having read the article, the most important part of it is the statement he makes that clearly implies that they couldn't get into the SEC right now because Florida is blackballing them.

Reaction Score
There is a group of ACC schools who have never fit into the ACC basketball tradition and have been, with the exception of a few seasons and an occasional upset, second or third teir hoops schools. These schools happen to be the strong football schools, hence the desire to keep the focus on football rather than basketball. I have no doubt that an FSU trustee is going to hear negatives about adding strong hoops schools as they have struggled to make a dent in the ACC hoops league. I would also guess that those same people are pestering the trustee to get into the SEC.

Those schools would be FSU, Va Tech, Miami, and to a lesser extent Clemson. The other schools NC, NC State, Duke, Wake, Maryland, Ga Tech, and Virginia all have strong hoops traditions and varying football reputations. Then you have BC who doesn't really fit into either category, but that is another story. I would guess that the 3 or 4 football schools plus BC would be enough to deny UConn and Rutgers unless Swofford can present a strong argument.

Reaction Score
God forbid we lose to FSU in the Battle for Atlantis tournament then he won't think we are much of a basketball school either. ;)

Reaction Score
There is a group of ACC schools who have never fit into the ACC basketball tradition and have been, with the exception of a few seasons and an occasional upset, second or third teir hoops schools. These schools happen to be the strong football schools, hence the desire to keep the focus on football rather than basketball. I have no doubt that an FSU trustee is going to hear negatives about adding strong hoops schools as they have struggled to make a dent in the ACC hoops league. I would also guess that those same people are pestering the trustee to get into the SEC.

Those schools would be FSU, Va Tech, Miami, and to a lesser extent Clemson. The other schools NC, NC State, Duke, Wake, Maryland, Ga Tech, and Virginia all have strong hoops traditions and varying football reputations. Then you have BC who doesn't really fit into either category, but that is another story. I would guess that the 3 or 4 football schools plus BC would be enough to deny UConn and Rutgers unless Swofford can present a strong argument.

1. I don't think the ACC is ready to take UConn and RU now, but I think we all knew that. UConn coming, soon, depends on either the Big East falling apart because of a Big XII raid because Mizzou leaves or the SEC needing #14 because MIzzou stays. Luckily, while my math is often suspect, I'm fairly certain the odds are close to 100% that Mizzou will do one or the other.

2. Some of the push for us now has to come from ESPN. Here is the one thing in this month long rant that I agree with Waylon on -- there was no reason for Herbst to be as forthright as she was about her intention to go to the ACC and there was absolutely no reason for the Governor to say anything. That having been said, Malloy and Jepsen now need to be talking to ESPN privately about how they need to make this happen to keep the State and ESPN from a fight that will produce two losers.

Beg privately, and with a big stick.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Actually, having read the article, the most important part of it is the statement he makes that clearly implies that they couldn't get into the SEC right now because Florida is blackballing them.
So should we presume that Clemson also has SEC issues because South Carolina would...

...cockblock them?

(couldn't resist, sorry... blackballing and cockblocking just go together. Er no, wait, that's blueballing.)

Reaction Score
1. I don't think the ACC is ready to take UConn and RU now, but I think we all knew that. UConn coming, soon, depends on either the Big East falling apart because of a Big XII raid because Mizzou leaves or the SEC needing #14 because MIzzou stays. Luckily, while my math is often suspect, I'm fairly certain the odds are close to 100% that Mizzou will do one or the other.

2. Some of the push for us now has to come from ESPN. Here is the one thing in this month long rant that I agree with Waylon on -- there was no reason for Herbst to be as forthright as she was about her intention to go to the ACC and there was absolutely no reason for the Governor to say anything. That having been said, Malloy and Jepsen now need to be talking to ESPN privately about how they need to make this happen to keep the State and ESPN from a fight that will produce two losers.

Beg privately, and with a big stick.
I'll agree with you on the governor, his comments were ridiculous and unnecessary. Herbst, on the other hand, many of the comments about here were reports from "sources" on her actions and intentions, whereas Malloy openly went out and told reporters what he thought, when he's not the main decision maker and dealer in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom