FSU Chairman of the Board of Trustee's not in favor of adding UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FSU Chairman of the Board of Trustee's not in favor of adding UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
1. I don't think the ACC is ready to take UConn and RU now, but I think we all knew that. UConn coming, soon, depends on either the Big East falling apart because of a Big XII raid because Mizzou leaves or the SEC needing #14 because MIzzou stays. Luckily, while my math is often suspect, I'm fairly certain the odds are close to 100% that Mizzou will do one or the other.

2. Some of the push for us now has to come from ESPN. Here is the one thing in this month long rant that I agree with Waylon on -- there was no reason for Herbst to be as forthright as she was about her intention to go to the ACC and there was absolutely no reason for the Governor to say anything. That having been said, Malloy and Jepsen now need to be talking to ESPN privately about how they need to make this happen to keep the State and ESPN from a fight that will produce two losers.

Beg privately, and with a big stick.
+100. I don't think Malloy's actions did too much damage (unlike, say, Flipper), but it would be better for him to coordinate closer with Herbst and her people from now on.

Reaction Score
We already knew this. It was reported a few days after the initial raid.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I have no problem with how Herbst conducted herself. She stated her position, stated the schools positive aspects and I even like the fact she spoke to BC. As far as Malloy? He's a politician. What they say is like a fart in the wind, these days.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Here is the one thing in this month long rant that I agree with Waylon on -- there was no reason for Herbst to be as forthright as she was about her intention to go to the ACC

I thought it was refreshing that she was honest, unlike pretty much every other one of the football schools.

And unlike Waylon, I don't think anything would have played out any differently had she been just as duplicitous as her colleagues at the other schools. The fact of the matter is that, since Pitt and 'Cuse left, any one of the remaining Big East football schools would and will jump at the chance to land in a more stable conference with an AQ. She was the only one who admitted it, or at least refused to pledge false allegiance to something that she (and anyone else who looked at the situation analytically) knew was no longer stable or viable. No matter how this ends up, I commend her for that. Contrary to the BCU model, I'd like to think that institutions of higher learning should provide a good example for their students.

Reaction Score
I thought it was refreshing that she was honest, unlike pretty much every other one of the football schools.

And unlike Waylon, I don't think anything would have played out any differently had she been just as duplicitous as her colleagues at the other schools. The fact of the matter is that, since Pitt and 'Cuse left, any one of the remaining Big East football schools would and will jump at the chance to land in a more stable conference with an AQ. She was the only one who admitted it, or at least refused to pledge false allegiance to something that she (and anyone else who looked at the situation analytically) knew was no longer stable or viable. No matter how this ends up, I commend her for that. Contrary to the BCU model, I'd like to think that institutions of higher learning should provide a good example for their students.

Whoa Nellie. I know Waylon has become amazingly polarizing at the moment, but read what I said. I'm not trashing Herbst -- just saying she didn't need to be so forthright. If she was/is privy to inside information, she didn't help those who gave it to her by letting the cat out of the bag (which is still my guess, by the way). If he misinterpreted her sources, which is also possible -- well, that's why you want to speak less rather than more as a general matter.

But I did not say or imply that things would be any different. I don't believe that.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting, an not altogether surprising statement, but it misses one key fact: any school with a strong enough football program to improve the ACC isn't going to get any benefit by joining the ACC. There are too many better options out there. And the only schools which could conceivably improve the football status (like, say, WVU) are not at all an academic fit for the ACC.

Reaction Score
All we need is for a few Big 12 teams to say the same thing about UL, Cincy and WVU.

Then the invited 6 join the New, New Big East and we all can get back to our normal lives.

(insert Jeopardy theme song here)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
God forbid we lose to FSU in the Battle for Atlantis tournament then he won't think we are much of a basketball school either. ;)
Maybe this was his attempt to have UConn roll over in that match up to get an invite by FSU.

All of this has been obvious from the start of events. The ACC has the same disharmony of agendas as the BE. It is not the most stabile conference even if it is a heck of a lot more stabile than the BE.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whoa Nellie. I know Waylon has become amazingly polarizing at the moment, but read what I said. I'm not trashing Herbst -- just saying she didn't need to be so forthright. If she was/is privy to inside information, she didn't help those who gave it to her by letting the cat out of the bag (which is still my guess, by the way). If he misinterpreted her sources, which is also possible -- well, that's why you want to speak less rather than more as a general matter.

But I did not say or imply that things would be any different. I don't believe that.
I don't mean to paint you with the same brush as Waylon; I know you see the situation quite differently than he does.

I haven't followed every utterance that has come from Herbst, but what I read/heard was her responding to questions in a way that simply refused to pledge allegiance to the Big East, and saying that we'll continue to analyze the changing landscape and look for the best fit for us. I know she said she talked with the BCU folks to clear the air, and maybe that was not necessary to disclose; but I also think she wanted to let people know that she's actually doing stuff to try to make our situation better. I guess I just don't know what she disclosed that you believe put us at a strategic disadvantage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but my interpretation of the below is that he is fully aware of what is eventually going to happen (and from the sound of it isn't really against it) but he wants to be able to tell the FSU boosters who want the Noles to help turn the ACC into the SEC east that it wasn't his idea (and he'll need to say this every time the school solicits donations).
"It certainly wouldn't be my pick but it wouldn't be my decision; it would be Swofford's and the ACC presidents.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He does say UConn is playing good football right now. He probably hasn't seen any of our games this year. We have him fooled!

But seriously, the marquee football programs aren't out there. There's one big, independent fish, then a bunch of trout, then a few minnows. We happen to be in the trout category, and if they can't reel in that big marlin swimming out there in Indiana, they're going to have to make up for it with a couple trout if they've made their mind up that 16 is the way to go.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I would say with some certainty that he'd be against RU and ND/WVU/?.

I wouldn't. If they can get ND, they'd take Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry with them.

Reaction Score
Actually, having read the article, the most important part of it is the statement he makes that clearly implies that they couldn't get into the SEC right now because Florida is blackballing them.
Or probably in the future, even though they would be a better fit than MU, or WVU. It's pretty much a topsy-turvy world in the BCS!

Reaction Score
He does say UConn is playing good football right now. He probably hasn't seen any of our games this year. We have him fooled!

But seriously, the marquee football programs aren't out there. There's one big, independent fish, then a bunch of trout, then a few minnows. We happen to be in the trout category, and if they can't reel in that big marlin swimming out there in Indiana, they're going to have to make up for it with a couple trout if they've made their mind up that 16 is the way to go.

In his eyes, good is relative to FSU.

Reaction Score
1. I don't think the ACC is ready to take UConn and RU now, but I think we all knew that. UConn coming, soon, depends on either the Big East falling apart because of a Big XII raid because Mizzou leaves or the SEC needing #14 because MIzzou stays. Luckily, while my math is often suspect, I'm fairly certain the odds are close to 100% that Mizzou will do one or the other.
I agree with your math

Reaction Score
We are DEFENDING Big East Football Champions. We are DEFENDING National bball champions. WTF is he talking about?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
In wouldn't be surprised if FSU was in favor of WVU. Unfortunately There is a better chance of Rutgers joining the AFC east than the ACC inviting WVU.

Reaction Score
I'll agree with you on the governor, his comments were ridiculous and unnecessary. Herbst, on the other hand, many of the comments about here were reports from "sources" on her actions and intentions, whereas Malloy openly went out and told reporters what he thought, when he's not the main decision maker and dealer in the process.
How active should Malloy be? This is not a trick question since according to a good friend of mine 9 who is a BC grad) here in BHM. He is scheduled to be the lunch speaker at some BC gathering in early November. The person who will intruduce him is Fr. Leahy.

Reaction Score
How active should Malloy be? This is not a trick question since according to a good friend of mine 9 who is a BC grad) here in BHM. He is scheduled to be the lunch speaker at some BC gathering in early November. The person who will intruduce him is Fr. Leahy.
Malloy and others should be active, if they can do it in a subtle way, outside of the media. But he's a politician first, so Problem is, politicians generally only do things that will advance their popularity w/ constituents. If no one hears about a politician being a catalyst for something positive, did it really happen?

Reaction Score
Herbst did the right thing by not only staying credible but being public about it. She was smart in being forthright and I would have encouraged her to make her case as she did. In doing so we have learned a lot about the hypocritical and deceptive backstory, and yet, as my southern friend says, "we didn't get down in that ditch." Now, whenever she speaks, it will not be presumed that she's got any hidden agendas.
As for the Governor, he should be more politic in his pronouncements.
And we'll still land softly when the dust clears.

Reaction Score
We are DEFENDING Big East Football Champions. We are DEFENDING National bball champions. WTF is he talking about?
you mean where he says we're playing good football now and does not mention "we'll see where they are bball wise" as he does to RU? he actually complimented us a bit.

Reaction Score
Better to be discussed than ignored.

And if that tepid criticism is all that is aimed at UConn, I'll take it any day of the week.

The only thing I was disappointed in was being lumped in with Rutgers. The trustee made a distinction, but rather clumsily. Everyone knew he meant Rutgers sucks in sports and is close to NYC. Too bad he wasn't more plainspoken. But I'll take his comments any day of the week.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He's skeptical, and that's fine. But what we (Herbst and Pendergrast) have to do is put together our business plan/proposal and spell out exactly what we bring to the table, why it's a benefit to the ACC as a whole, and why it makes good business sense.

Reaction Score
He's skeptical, and that's fine. But what we (Herbst and Pendergrast) have to do is put together our business plan/proposal and spell out exactly what we bring to the table, why it's a benefit to the ACC as a whole, and why it makes good business sense.
And beg harder :).

Reaction Score
Free Shoes U is still fighting the Civil War. Connecticut sounds WAY too Yankee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom