Frustrating | The Boneyard

Frustrating

Reaction Score
I honestly thought those two threes by Purvis and then Adams were going in. After how frustrating this season has been, I figured at least one thing had to go right for us. Its just tough because of how well things always went for us over the years. This has been the most frustrating year that I can remember.

Reaction Score
The fundamentals. That is what is so frustrating. Making a simple pass. Hitting FT's. Staying in bounds while no one within 10 feet of you. Blocking the ball and not sending it to the moon. And for KO, an occasional ripping into a ref to show your players you have their back.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The driving layup Adams hits 99/100 at the end of regulation hurt. However, if Facey could hit a damn FT we aren't having this discussion

Reaction Score
I've only been to 2 games this year, but it is clear to me that Ollie lays into the refs but you don't see it on camera. At the Houston game, he was animated and on them, but I noticed he was yakking at the guy trailing the play. All the players were already in the front court. I'm not sure if that happens regularly. If so, maybe we're not seeing it. But it happened a lot in the Houston game.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
The driving layup Adams hits 99/100 at the end of regulation hurt. However, if Facey could hit a damn FT we aren't having this discussion
FT's and points off turnovers. Ouch.

Reaction Score
It's just an awful season overall. Ollie is a good coach when he's got the players for a pro system but ask him to adapt to anything and he's completely lost. Our front court is a joke at this point and isn't getting better next year. Vital gets ripped on but he was ranked outside the top 100 for a reason. Jackson would have been too if he shot anything like this in hs. Durham is mentally compromised. I just want this year over so I can spend the offseason chugging the blue kool aid and convincing myself we're natty contenders next year

Reaction Score
The fundamentals. That is what is so frustrating. Making a simple pass. Hitting FT's. Staying in bounds while no one within 10 feet of you. Blocking the ball and not sending it to the moon. And for KO, an occasional ripping into a ref to show your players you have their back.

That all falls on coaching. Ollie was/is not ready to coach at this level!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That all falls on coaching. Ollie was/is not ready to coach at this level!
First ten toes and now you. There has to be something with people who choose certain names. They don't even realize the absurdity of their statements that contradicts their names.

Ok let's take away title four mr. title town.

Even the insane aren't this crazy.

Reaction Score
It's frustrating watching us miss open shot after open shot, Shots off the side of the back board. I thought the offensive movement was actually good today, but if no one can make shots, you won't win many games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've only been to 2 games this year, but it is clear to me that Ollie lays into the refs but you don't see it on camera. At the Houston game, he was animated and on them, but I noticed he was yakking at the guy trailing the play. All the players were already in the front court. I'm not sure if that happens regularly. If so, maybe we're not seeing it. But it happened a lot in the Houston game.
Thank you. I've been saying this all season
KO is coaching and moving and is talking to the refs
Of course the TV cameras show him when he is sitting so that's what people not seeing it all will surmise

Reaction Score
One of the worst things about these loses is freaking ESPN pointing it out.....awesome that our next 5 games are not easy at all. Hope the team has a thick skin....we're all gonna need to keep calm & carry on this season...hang in there guys!

i

Connecticut's loss to Tulsa dropped the Huskies' record to 5-8. They had 11 losses (in 36 games) all of last season. This is the first time UConn has had eight losses before Jan. 1 since 1968-69, when the Huskies were 0-8 entering the new year and finished 5-19.

Reaction Score
First ten toes and now you. There has to be something with people who choose certain names. They don't even realize the absurdity of their statements that contradicts their names.

Ok let's take away title four mr. title town.

Even the insane aren't this crazy.

You mean the title that was won in spite of Ollie and not because of him? The title that was won with all of Calhoun's recruits? The title that was won virtually single-handedly by Napier?

Reaction Score
You mean the title that was won in spite of Ollie and not because of him? The title that was won with all of Calhoun's recruits? The title that was won virtually single-handedly by Napier?

Don't know if you're being facetious, but just in case.

Ollie took over a dumpster fire after a mass exodus with a team on probation. Built up that team over two years. Daniels and Giffey were buried on JC's bench, Boat only had a year under his belt, and Napier had been promising, but enigmatic as a sophomore.

During the tourney, Napier's overall body of work was fantastic - but he was terrible against St. Joe's, was on the bench during a key 15-0 run against Nova, and was effectively game-planned out of the game by a veteran Florida team and their defensive schemes.

Say what you want about what's happened since (and we have peaked in March every year after some underachievement previously), but Ollie coached his balls off to get us that title. Beat four national championship coaches on the way (Wright-Izzo-Donovan-Cal). There are NO asterisks on his ring

Reaction Score

Wow just when you think people can't get any more ignorant. Calhoun recruits played really good under Kevin Ollie didn't they? How good were Giffey and Deandre under JC? Shabazz soph year? Pain in the butt, not a leader at all but became on under KO. Boat got a lot better too. KO added a nice piece in Lasaan too and used him at all the right times. Not sure what you're thinking or even if you can but try again when you catch up on UConn basketball. But we appreciate your interest!

Reaction Score
Don't know if you're being facetious, but just in case.

Ollie took over a dumpster fire after a mass exodus with a team on probation. Built up that team over two years. Daniels and Giffey were buried on JC's bench, Boat only had a year under his belt, and Napier had been promising, but enigmatic as a sophomore.

During the tourney, Napier's overall body of work was fantastic - but he was terrible against St. Joe's, was on the bench during a key 15-0 run against Nova, and was effectively game-planned out of the game by a veteran Florida team and their defensive schemes.

Say what you want about what's happened since (and we have peaked in March every year after some underachievement previously), but Ollie coached his balls off to get us that title. Beat four national championship coaches on the way (Wright-Izzo-Donovan-Cal). There are NO asterisks on his ring

They were still all of Calhoun's recruits!

Terrible against St. Joe's? Napier had 24pts 8rbs 6a 3s against St Joe's. Game planned out of the game against Florida? Not his best game but he still had 12pts 6a 4s against the Gators.

Nothing like letting facts get in the way of your argument.

Reaction Score
Wow just when you think people can't get any more ignorant. Calhoun recruits played really good under Kevin Ollie didn't they? How good were Giffey and Deandre under JC? Shabazz soph year? Pain in the butt, not a leader at all but became on under KO. Boat got a lot better too. KO added a nice piece in Lasaan too and used him at all the right times. Not sure what you're thinking or even if you can but try again when you catch up on UConn basketball. But we appreciate your interest!

How young were they? You know college players tend to get better and take on more leadership as they get older. Kromah is Ollie's claim to fame in your opinion? I loved him as a player, he is a great person, but Ollie is not a good basketball coach!

H

huskymagic

You know it's bad when Ollie is setting all kinds of new UCONN records breaking 40 and 50 year marks and not of the good kind.
Regarding 2014, the top 4 players on that team were Calhoun recruits and what did they have in common? Oh yes high IQ, good shooters from the perimeter, and very tough competitors. What have we had since none of the above sans Adams. The players we have now lack the conviction and attitude in their game that UCONN teams of the past had. Their is no identity right now.

Reaction Score
How young were they? You know college players tend to get better and take on more leadership as they get older. Kromah is Ollie's claim to fame in your opinion? I loved him as a player, he is a great person, but Ollie is not a good basketball coach!

Holy hypocritical cow!!! You are saying those players were young back then??

My lordie!!!

That's the whole freakin' point.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
You know it's bad when Ollie is setting all kinds of new UCONN records breaking 40 and 50 year marks and not of the good kind.
Regarding 2014, the top 4 players on that team were Calhoun recruits and what did they have in common? Oh yes high IQ, good shooters from the perimeter, and very tough competitors. What have we had since none of the above sans Adams. The players we have now lack the conviction and attitude in their game that UCONN teams of the past had. Their is no identity right now.

Is their? THERE just might be.

Reaction Score

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They were still all of Calhoun's recruits!

Terrible against St. Joe's? Napier had 24pts 8rbs 6a 3s against St Joe's. Game planned out of the game against Florida? Not his best game but he still had 12pts 6a 4s against the Gators.

Nothing like letting facts get in the way of your argument.

Sorry, but I watched the games.

He was terrible against Saint Joe's - exactly the opposite of what we were hoping for out of our senior leader. His regulation stat line was 15 points on 6-20 shooting, and in crunch time, he dribbled off his leg out of bounds for an unforced turnover and he missed a bunny (that Brimah cleaned up). He made his FTs in overtime (7-7) to make his stat line look better, but we lose in regulation if his teammates don't pick him up and he'd be remembered a lot differently (role player on a NC team, with two poor performances in first round exits as the lead guard).

Florida didn't let Napier do much of anything. He only took 6 shots in the entire game, and Daniels took over (plus our team defense was off the charts outstanding). Florida took us out of what we do best, we needed to make adjustments and have other people step up. To Napier's everlasting credit, he didn't get frustrated and try to force anything or try to play hero ball - he played a mature game and we won. But the idea that we won the whole tournament just because of Napier falls apart when you look at the clear evidence that Florida shut him down and forced other people to beat them - and other people did.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Funny how an asinine comment about Ollie's coaching and Napier's performance has people going back and forth debating Shabazz's tournament play...

If anyone thinks either extreme, that (a) Napier was shut down and/or played poorly or (b) he was the sole reason, DESPITE Ollie, that we won -- is completely lost.

These random, dumb debates need to stop. People make random ridiculous statements that are so far to one side of the extreme, trying to have a hot take, that it becomes worthless discussion.

It's amazing how a few things happening can make ridiculous hot takes the norm around here. I get the frustration, but holy heck ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom