Frustrating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Frustrating

Reaction Score
You know it's bad when Ollie is setting all kinds of new UCONN records breaking 40 and 50 year marks and not of the good kind.
Regarding 2014, the top 4 players on that team were Calhoun recruits and what did they have in common? Oh yes high IQ, good shooters from the perimeter, and very tough competitors. What have we had since none of the above sans Adams. The players we have now lack the conviction and attitude in their game that UCONN teams of the past had. Their is no identity right now.
Yes, what good shooters from the perimeter. Daniels 24% from 3 as a freshman, Giffey 32%, Napier 33%.

Reaction Score
It's just an awful season overall. Ollie is a good coach when he's got the players for a pro system but ask him to adapt to anything and he's completely lost. Our front court is a joke at this point and isn't getting better next year. Vital gets ripped on but he was ranked outside the top 100 for a reason. Jackson would have been too if he shot anything like this in hs. Durham is mentally compromised. I just want this year over so I can spend the offseason chugging the blue kool aid and convincing myself we're natty contenders next year
I agree. This is how it has been on football board - people wanting season over. Conference realignment has had an effect on recruiting in hoops as well as football. Just not getting the same caliber of kid that the Huskies use to get.

Reaction Score
Funny how an asinine comment about Ollie's coaching and Napier's performance has people going back and forth debating Shabazz's tournament play...

If anyone thinks either extreme, that (a) Napier was shut down and/or played poorly or (b) he was the sole reason, DESPITE Ollie, that we won -- is completely lost.

These random, dumb debates need to stop. People make random ridiculous statements that are so far to one side of the extreme, trying to have a hot take, that it becomes worthless discussion.

It's amazing how a few things happening can make ridiculous hot takes the norm around here. I get the frustration, but holy heck ...

What are you talking about?

It was a six game run. For one of those six games, he played poorly (6-20 in regulation and two bad mistakes in crunch time). For one other game, he was effectively shut down and held to 6 FGA by a veteran team with a solid defensive game plan. The rest of the way, he was a maestro playing like a First-Team All-American. I feel like that's not an "extreme" - that's pretty much the story of what happened.

The whole point I was making was that there were 3 moments along the way in particular when we desperately needed other people to step up: against Saint Joes, against Villanova when we were down 20-10 and he went to the bench with two fouls, and against Florida, when we were spinning our wheels on offense due to their D on Baxx. All three times, other guys stepped up. I feel like that's not a very controversial take.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
What are you talking about?

It was a six game run. For one of those six games, he played poorly (6-20 in regulation and two bad mistakes in crunch time). For one other game, he was effectively shut down and held to 6 FGA by a veteran team with a solid defensive game plan. The rest of the way, he was a maestro playing like a First-Team All-American. I feel like that's not an "extreme" - that's pretty much the story of what happened.

The whole point I was making was that there were 3 moments along the way in particular when we desperately needed other people to step up: against Saint Joes, against Villanova when we were down 20-10 and he went to the bench with two fouls, and against Florida, when we were spinning our wheels on offense due to their D on Baxx. All three times, other guys stepped up. I feel like that's not a very controversial take.

I'm certainly more in line with what you're saying, and the "asinine comment" came obviously from him, which you responded to.

I don't think there's a game where he played "terrible" so I felt that was extreme and in my opinion not correct.

But I get your point and essentially agree. The fact that his point of view was that Bazz "single handedly" led them to the title thereby diminishing Ollie's contributions, amongst others, is my biggest beef.

It's so ridiculous it almost bears no rational response, which you provided, but then the debate becomes fogged due to his initial insanity.

Reaction Score
Yes, what good shooters from the perimeter. Daniels 24% from 3 as a freshman, Giffey 32%, Napier 33%.
It's almost as if players struggle to adjust to the speed of the game, and their shooting suffers at first. Strange.

One example, let's say totally at random. Imagine a player who shot 42.5% from the field, and 27% from 3 one year showed up the next and shot 48% and 43% from 3. You know, like Adams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom