From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books | Page 3 | The Boneyard

From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Burrell could jump with Gay or Sticks
He was/is by far the best pure athlete in UConn basketball memory
Jackson is a real deal but he is not the physical body that Burrell was as a freshman

Yeah, no. Scott was nowhere either of those two. Rudy and Sticks could be outside the TV camera when the shot went up and put in putback dunks.

Agree Scott is the best pure athlete at UConn.

Reaction Score
Carlton is down 20 pounds and he’s not starting? 4 year player. Hasn’t he started the last 2 years?
This is a good thing. All due props to Sr. Josh.

Reaction Score
Let's put some of this Josh stuff in perspective. He blossomed his sophomore year. His junior year he had to deal with double teams and he had trouble with them. He also gained a good deal of weight and for a guy who wasn't explosive to begin with, that hurt his overall game. This year he should be smarter, stronger and more atheltic. He is very experienced. It is unlikely teams will be able to double team this year, we have way more options. I expect him to have his best season as a Husky.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let's put some of this Josh stuff in perspective. He blossomed his sophomore year. His junior year he had to deal with double teams and he had trouble with them. He also gained a good deal of weight and for a guy who wasn't explosive to begin with, that hurt his overall game. This year he should be smarter, stronger and more atheltic. He is very experienced. It is unlikely teams will be able to double team this year, we have way more options. I expect him to have his best season as a Husky.

What do you see him doing numbers wise?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would hardly consider myself a recruiting junkie but here is what we know about Jackson.

He has great vision as he was a PG in his younger years. He started last year in HS at about 6'5" and maybe 175 lbs. He finished the season as a Top 30-50 recruit. UConn now lists him at 6'6" 210 lbs and the pictures shown in other threads show obvious muscular development. The biggest knock on him has been a lack of a consistent jump shot.

Jackson is an ultra elite athlete who plays well above the rim and has superior vision and moves in the open court. He can definitely play at the major D1 level and contribute as a freshman. Hurley says he thinks Jackson can be one of the best freshmen guards in the country this season. Good enough for me.

Good write-up. I would add that one of his strengths is his defense.

It's been said on here, but if Jackson had even an average jump shot in high school he would've been a top 10, 5-star recruit coming in.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
I think he'll end up my second favorite player ever by the time it's all said and done

I think Whaley can work on his 3 point shot and become a guy at the end of a NBA bench.

Think Semi Ojeleye. Defense, rebounding, some shooting and always ready to play with whatever minutes he gets

Reaction Score
Josh never was, never will be, and was never expected to be a particularly explosive guy. We all knew that. When he bilked up, a lot of us thought that would do him well, having more to throw around since he was pretty stuck on the ground already. At least he’s a year stronger now and more experienced. Hopefully he’s worked on some moves as well

I’d hope he averages something like 11 and 7. Keep in mind the competition upgrade too

Reaction Score
What do you see him doing numbers wise?

Tough to predict because the front court is now so deep that you would expect his minutes to go down. Last year he was 8 and 7 in 20 minutes a game. I think he could come close to being double-double guy if he maintains 20 minutes a game. Keeping those numbers with less minutes would be a big help. I think his biggest improvement will be on the defensive end. His block numbers should go up as well as his defensive rebounding. A more athletic Josh on D would also provide some improvement that doesn't show in the box score.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The disconnect between how much better Josh was as a sophomore, and how good he was relative to good starting centers is strong. People forget how often he completely disappeared in big games.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Why would you be offended by someone's opinion? We all know he has UCONN talent!!!

It was meant to be pretty tongue in cheek, I'm not actually "offended" but I clearly agree with most people that it's a stupid, nonsense comment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom