From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books | Page 2 | The Boneyard

From UConn MBB Twitter: First Practice in the books

Reaction Score
havent heard a peep about springs other than hurley's quote that he needs to come out of his shell in order to make an impact this year, or something like that. thank goodness he redshirted last year or his career could be halfway over before he sees the floor.

but if springs doesnt play at least the PF minutes will be easier to manage, especially with polley as the new stretch. that still leaves four guys to C though. either carlton or brown will have to be the odd man out and i dont think it will be the senior that just lost 20 lbs.

cole-gaff
bouk-adams
martin-jackson
polley-akok
whaley-carlton-sanogo

B-springs-brown

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The year before last Carlton played great. I expect that again. Mark it down.

Reaction Score
With the stable actually full we can play faster, which will give more guys minutes than if we had to slow it down.

Reaction Score
I think the Polley / Jackson / Martin rotation is going to be very interesting to follow. Whoever produces will get the most time, but then again all 3 of them are capable of playing the 3 and the 4...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the Polley / Jackson / Martin rotation is going to be very interesting to follow. Whoever produces will get the most time, but then again all 3 of them are capable of playing the 3 and the 4...

Polley and Martin can go 3/4. Jackson is a 2/3. I don't think there will be many normal situations where Jackson would be the second biggest player on the court.

Reaction Score
Jackson good enough to start?

Not being a recruiting junkie, can someone inform me of Jackson's attributes and skills. I think I underestimated him, and have little idea what he brings beyond his dunking abilities. From what I'm hearing and reading lately is that he is Division 1 ready and could be up there with freshman Bouk.

1602966077384.png

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson good enough to start?

Not being a recruiting junkie, can someone inform me of Jackson's attributes and skills. I think I underestimated him, and have little idea what he brings beyond his dunking abilities. From what I'm hearing and reading lately is that he is Division 1 ready and could be up there with freshman Bouk.

View attachment 59987

I would hardly consider myself a recruiting junkie but here is what we know about Jackson.

He has great vision as he was a PG in his younger years. He started last year in HS at about 6'5" and maybe 175 lbs. He finished the season as a Top 30-50 recruit. UConn now lists him at 6'6" 210 lbs and the pictures shown in other threads show obvious muscular development. The biggest knock on him has been a lack of a consistent jump shot.

Jackson is an ultra elite athlete who plays well above the rim and has superior vision and moves in the open court. He can definitely play at the major D1 level and contribute as a freshman. Hurley says he thinks Jackson can be one of the best freshmen guards in the country this season. Good enough for me.

Reaction Score
I would hardly consider myself a recruiting junkie but here is what we know about Jackson.

He has great vision as he was a PG in his younger years. He started last year in HS at about 6'5" and maybe 175 lbs. He finished the season as a Top 30-50 recruit. UConn now lists him at 6'6" 210 lbs and the pictures shown in other threads show obvious muscular development. The biggest knock on him has been a lack of a consistent jump shot.

Jackson is an ultra elite athlete who plays well above the rim and has superior vision and moves in the open court. He can definitely play at the major D1 level and contribute as a freshman. Hurley says he thinks Jackson can be one of the best freshmen guards in the country this season. Good enough for me.
Thanks I'm reading this and reminded of Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
This happens every year. Jackson I’m sure will be a great player but all these new guys playing in the BE are just going to kill it from the start? I say Carlton will start.

Reaction Score
The year before last Carlton played great. I expect that again. Mark it down.

Given his play last year, he may not play much. I hope he’s improved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks I'm reading this and reminded of Scott Burrell.

I'm a huge Burrell fan and am aware of Scott's athletic accomplishments as an athlete. Jackson is a few levels above Burrell. Jackson is Rudy Gay or Sticks Robinson level of jumping, springiness and quickness. He's also a way better ball handler than Rudy ever was in college.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Burrell fan and am aware of Scott's athletic accomplishments as an athlete. Jackson is a few levels above Burrell. Jackson is Rudy Gay or Sticks Robinson level of jumping, springiness and quickness. He's also a way better ball handler than Rudy ever was in college.
Damn man, you can't do that to me, especially with a freshman. Burrell was an NBA'er. I'm trying to tamper my expectations (not excitement), but then you reply posting .

Reaction Score
I have a feeling we're all going to be incredibly sad when Whaley graduates. Just an insane turnaround to a college basketball career, he'll make a lot of money playing basketball in the future.
I think he'll end up my second favorite player ever by the time it's all said and done

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Damn man, you can't do that to me, especially with a freshman. Burrell was an NBA'er. I'm trying to tamper my expectations (not excitement), but then you reply posting .

I have zero expectations for a kid who hasn't played a second of college basketball. I can look at what he has done in high school and AAU and see he has rarified levels of athleticism and I hope he uses that while at UConn and it translates in to success for the program. All goes well, it can set him up for years of professional basketball.

There have been better athletes than Jackson who never sniffed the NBA. Athleticism alone doesn't get you there.

Scotty B became a reliable shooter in college and the NBA and had a great skill set for a small forward that worked well with the style of play in the NBA at that time.

Reaction Score
I have zero expectations for a kid who hasn't played a second of college basketball. I can look at what he has done in high school and AAU and see he has rarified levels of athleticism and I hope he uses that while at UConn and it translates in to success for the program. All goes well, it can set him up for years of professional basketball.

There have been better athletes than Jackson who never sniffed the NBA. Athleticism alone doesn't get you there.

Scotty B became a reliable shooter in college and the NBA and had a great skill set for a small forward that worked well with the style of play in the NBA at that time.
Yeah if he matches the hype, we will have another outstanding and exciting baller after Bouk. Lot to look forward to.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Crazy to see a lot of ppl comparing aj to bouk. Hope comps are true but bouk has a certain 'it' factor I haven't seen since bazz.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Burrell could jump with Gay or Sticks
He was/is by far the best pure athlete in UConn basketball memory
Jackson is a real deal but he is not the physical body that Burrell was as a freshman

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom