From the "just so you know" desk........... | The Boneyard

From the "just so you know" desk...........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Arike Ogunbowale has lived the life of a rock star, but now she wants to get back to winning.

This kind of talk (wanting to get back to winning) can be dangerous for other top ranked Division 1 programs. She is the kind of player/team leader that can stir up those kinds of emotions and "will-to-win" passions in her teammates. They're on top right now, the elephant in the room, and have no intentions of stepping down anytime soon. They have no intention of waiting another 17 years before they win their next championship. As UConn fans, we should take this indictment seriously. UConn's recent dominance in WCBB is being seriously challenged.

Edit- This post is NOT intended to slam, discredit or take anything away from Ogumbowale or Notre Dame. She has earned and deserves any and all accolades she's receiving.

At this point, it’s probably easier to ask who hasn’t heard of Arike Ogunbowale. The rising senior guard on the Notre Dame women’s basketball team is both sports hero and pop culture darling after making two miraculous shots in the waning seconds of two down-to-the-wire games in this year’s NCAA women’s tournament. In a Final Four matchup with college sports behemoth Connecticut, the 21-year-old hit a heavily contested pull-up jumper that left just one second on the clock in overtime to take down the Huskies 91-89. Just 48 hours later, on April Fools’ Day no less, Ogunbowale did it again, this time nailing a 3-pointer as the clock expired to lift the Fighting Irish over Mississippi State, 61-58.

Since then, Ogunbowale has lived the life of a rock star. Kobe Bryant, her favorite basketball player, gave her two jerseys (one for her dog) on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. People want to rename — not name —their children after her, and others think she could’ve added a much-needed spark to the following night’s men’s national championship game. On April 13 it was announced that she’d be the first active NCAA athlete to compete on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars.

[Article]

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know Notre Dame has its own board, right?

Yes. However, I don't visit their board(s). I posted this not as a fan of Ogumbowale or ND, but as a concerned adversary. If you thought I posted this to praise Ogumbowale and ND, you missed it. While I respect Muffet's coaching abilities, I'm not a fan of hers or her program. I shared this to reinforce the fact that they now have a new and greater resolve to remain on top, and win another championship, which is contrary and in direct opposition to UConn's future plans for the next few years. Their fan base is "jacked" now more than ever. Irish Nation always revels whenever UConn loses a game, but especially when they lose a game to ND.

ND is no longer satisfied in being a bride's maid. Now that they've tasted success, they want more of it. As we all know, they do not fear UConn, and are positive they can beat them now and again in the future. The only lesson that was learned from that loss is that UConn must play shut down defense for 40 minutes, and they need a "go to" player like Ogumbowale in crunch time that can create her own shot, drive the lane (draw fouls), and get to the foul line. Notre Dame's last two games came down to the last shot, they got it done. The two teams they beat did not get a consolation prize or a "moral "victory.

I realize Ogumbowale's last second buzzer beater was a prayer, but sometimes prayers get answered, and sometimes they don't. Saniya Chong tried to throw one up two years ago, but failed. I did not post it to praise Arike, but to expose her infectious state of mind. She's had her 15 minutes of fame, and wants more. She is the team leader that others will follow. I posted it to emphasize that the Huskies must improve their defense and refocus their resolve. At some point, you've got to get some "stops", and play some defense. It's almost impossible to give up 91 points in March tournament games and still win. Geno has been preaching to them for years that this day was coming. It's here.

I posted it to share what others are thinking, and as a warning that UConn can no longer think they can win #12 just by showing up. Consider this post a "wake-up call", and a call to arms. If ND could win only 1 game on their schedule next year, who do you think that one win would be against?!? The parity in WCBB that so many fans have pined for the last few years is finally here.

Remember, the Irish had to knock off two #1 seeds with only 7 scholarship players available to win the championship. They got it done. They get ALL of their injured players back next year, and will no doubt be more formidable than they were this year.

Would anyone be surprised if they ran the table? The gap between UConn and the other teams in Division 1 that was prevalent for so many years has finally closed. My question is, what do they do about it? I don't think they want to come up short again for the third year in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yes. However, I don't visit their board(s). I posted this not as a fan of ND, but as a concerned adversary. If you thought I posted this to praise ND, you missed it. While I respect Muffet's coaching abilities, I'm not a fan of hers. I shared this to reinforce the fact that they now have a new and greater resolve to remain on top, and win another championship, which is contrary and in direct opposition to UConn's future plans for the next few years.

ND is no longer satisfied in being a bride's maid. As we all know, they do not fear UConn, and are positive they can beat them now and in the future. The only lesson that was learned from that loss is that UConn needs a go to player like Ogumbowale in crunch time that can drive the lane and create her own shot.

I realize that buzzer beater was a prayer, but sometimes prayers get answered. I did not post it to praise Arike, but to expose her state of mind. She is the team leader that others will follow. I posted it to emphasize that the Huskies must tighten up their defense. It's hard to give up 91 points and still win. I posted it to share what others are thinking and as a warning that UConn can no longer think they can win it all just by showing up.
Right on point 91 points...how can Byers keep saying they play good defense

Reaction Score
Of course I am biased, but I predict next year Lou will be a more impactful player than Ogunbowale. Assuming she's healthy I think she will rock

Reaction Score
ND won the championship. It is only natural that they revel in it. After all, it happens so rarely. ;)

Let them have their time in the sun. Ask South Carolina and Baylor how difficult it is to stay there.

Reaction Score
Of course I am biased, but I predict next year Lou will be a more impactful player than Ogunbowale. Assuming she's healthy I think she will rock
Whether you are right or wrong will be difficult to measure and, pretty much, without meaning. This is not a contest of " who has the best player?" It is a contest for the national championship trophy.

JS

Reaction Score
Whether you are right or wrong will be difficult to measure and, pretty much, without meaning. This is not a contest of " who has the best player?" It is a contest for the national championship trophy.
What is your quarrel here?

"Most impactful" is different from "best."

And both, despite your pronouncement of "without meaning," are permissible and (for many but apparently not all) enjoyable topics of conversation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The fact that the NCAA let her go on DWTS while penalizing kids like Jeremy Bloom (monetizing his world class skiing ability) and the UCF kicker (monetizing his brand with a youtube channel) but will let her go on and keep the prize money (if she wins) is just another piece of evidence than ND is the NCAA's baby. The rules don't matter for them. On or off the court apparently.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I just think it makes UConn fans look small to seek out what they see as examples of Arike’s “infectious state of mind”, whatever the heck that means. The kid made a couple of great shots and she’s a hero to her fans. She didn’t force the NCAA to do anything. I don’t know why UConn fans, who’ve reveled in the reflected glory of the Huskies 11 times now, can’t let Arike have her moment in the spotlight. It just seems petty.

the Q

Reaction Score
I just think it makes UConn fans look small to seek out what they see as examples of Arike’s “infectious state of mind”, whatever the heck that means. The kid made a couple of great shots and she’s a hero to her fans. She didn’t force the NCAA to do anything. I don’t know why UConn fans, who’ve reveled in the reflected glory of the Huskies 11 times now, can’t let Arike have her moment in the spotlight. It just seems petty.

I'm fine with her. She hit some lucky shots. That happens. That's just sports. But the NCAA's absurdity on so many levels is what let all this happen.

If a kicker can't have a youtube channel but she can go on TV and win prize money and keep it.....not to even get into the Bloom case. It's just ridiculous.

I'll take every chance I can to knock the NCAA. They're a miserable corrupt institution run by miserable and corrupt human beings.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm fine with her. She hit some lucky shots. That happens. That's just sports. But the NCAA's absurdity on so many levels is what let all this happen.

If a kicker can't have a youtube channel but she can go on TV and win prize money and keep it.....not to even get into the Bloom case. It's just ridiculous.

I'll take every chance I can to knock the NCAA. They're a miserable corrupt institution run by miserable and corrupt human beings.
I get it but this is a thread created just to knock a player for enjoying the well-deserved attention she’s been getting.

the Q

Reaction Score
I get it but this is a thread created just to knock a player for enjoying the well-deserved attention she’s been getting.

Completely understand.

That's why I've been very clear to go after the NCAA for letting this happen.

If they put the kibosh to it like they probably should've (based on their recent interpretations, such as the UCF kicker) then there's no need for the thread at all.

Reaction Score
I agree with Q. There are some serious issues with the NCAA and what went on here. The inconsistency of how they operate brings into question why these things are happening and for who’s benefit. When a powerful organization is making money off of the backs of students, there needs to be transparency and accountability, just as with the officials. If we don’t keep questioning, then there will be no change and no trust. I for one appreciate the discourse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom