From the guy who brought you “Hassan Diarra reminds me of Taliek Brown” I have another scorching hot PG take. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

From the guy who brought you “Hassan Diarra reminds me of Taliek Brown” I have another scorching hot PG take.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Are we just going to ignore Andrew Hurley? Lol

Newton’s play has been lackluster at best but as much as it pains me to say, there aren’t really any other options who give me any more confidence. He got scr3wed on that drive to the hoop late in the game where he kicked it out for a Karaban brick. Should have been a foul unless you’re allowed to grab onto a guy’s hand and hold it like you’re about to propose while he’s dribbling past you. Ref at the Naugy YMCA didn’t call it when the same thing happened to me about 25 years ago, but this is the Big East. That’s a blatant foul and would have been one and one…

Reaction Score
Agreed with this - he was on an island in the 2nd half. Nobody helping bring the ball up and he was getting blanketed the entire time.
I did notice this and it was frustrating. Newton does bring the ball up way too slowly and casually, but everyone was just standing in their positions and waiting. Someone has to run up and help him. Get the ball up the court by any means necessary, then get it back to your PG and run the set

Reaction Score
Can Clingan start too? They have a good connection around the basket. Gimme :
AJ / Joey / Hawk / Karaban / Clingan

This lineup has: the closest thing we have to a PG, our two best shooters, our most consistent player, and our best player.

Reaction Score
I’ll go on record as saying that I’m not part of the “everyone” mentioned above. I believe that despite his flaws, Newton gives us the best chance to win of the options available. He needs to step up and play to his potential. We’ve actually been pretty good starting games, it’s how we finish which has been the problem.
The hope that he will "step up and play to potential" is not the same as his actually playing to potential and delivering. Newton still could still play decent minutes as a sub and get an opportunity to rediscover himself.

Give Joey the chance and see what happens. Even when his shot is off, he hustles and passes well and gets some rebounds. He seems like the energizer bunny. He is not a slowmo player.

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who starts at PG because we don't have a competent PG on this roster. Start Clingan at PG, it won't matter.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Joey also has decent chemistry with Clingan and usually finds him when he drives.
These two off the bench were lethal early. Should always be on the court together.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I’ll go on record as saying that I’m not part of the “everyone” mentioned above. I believe that despite his flaws, Newton gives us the best chance to win of the options available. He needs to step up and play to his potential. We’ve actually been pretty good starting games, it’s how we finish which has been the problem.
I agree. Our best chance at success is to get Newton going.

Reaction Score
With the infatuation with changing the starting 5 you would think UConn would have been trailing 18 out of 20 games at the 10 min mark in the first half not leading.

Certainly some mins need to be redistributed but the starting lineup is not going to change. The line up that comes out at halftime well that is a completely different story....

Reaction Score
I want to see the same starters and rotations as they had for the first 10 games.
The ball moved, shots were appropriately taken and they ran the pants off opponents. The team was unstoppable.
Why did Danny try to make it better? If it isn’t broken, don’t mess with it.

Reaction Score
I have had the same thought. The other options are just not working. I would start JC and see what happens. I think the key though is to get Newton right. He's our only long term chance, but the short term is painful.
He is not right between his ears.... HE cannot figure out why he averaged over 16 pts/game at ECU and why he cannot do the same here...and IMO it is affecting his overall play... So much so that he is not playing a lick of defense...

Reaction Score
Diarra seems to play out of control more frequently than anyone else on the roster. Definitely not ideal for a point guard.

Reaction Score
Can Joey C start at PG for us? Everyone is saying Diarra should start over Newton but I’m not convinced Joey C isn’t a better option. Obviously he is a better shooter and has shown an ability to get to the rim and either finish or find the open guy. Y’all will say defense but NO ONE is playing any sort of defense. Joey has good length and a knack for deflections. Just think it may work?
Why not give it a go.
This team lacks two things among others preventing success bothsomewhat related
Basketball IQ and a leader on the floor.
So Joey at the PH might help in both areas.
You also can’t sag on him opening up lanes . That’s got to help the bigs.
Plus he is is the most mature guy we have and I believe the others would respond to him
Move Jackson back on D into a rim protector role .
Diarra reminds me of Gilbert the good and the bad
But that team got better when we but in a plain vanilla freshman named Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Diarra seems to play out of control more frequently than anyone else on the roster. Definitely not ideal for a point guard.
Shades of both AG and Sid (albeit not as athletic)

Reaction Score
FWIW Joey C definitely shows more dog than newton and also is a better offensive player than Diarra, you might be on to something

Reaction Score
Need to plant inception on Newton every night and show him highlights of guards driving the ball…he can do it, but only chooses to do it 2-3 times a game. It’s a mystery as to why he doesn’t do it more
My take is it’s simply that he’s too slow. On defense he can’t stay in front of his man, and on offense he can’t drive consistently because he’s just not quick enough to get by most big east guards.

Reaction Score
I've said it a few times. Newton has to be better he's the only one who can play both ends of the court in a way to be of impact for this team at the PG position. Diarra can do very little at all on the offensive end unless it's transition and he is a dreadful shooter. Joey C is a 2G period. He does have ability on that end and creativity passing and getting to the lane but his defense is the same as Diarras offense, it's offensive.

Newton had a nice 2nd half the other night, overall in comparison to most others wearing the Husky colors he was good. There's many here and I see it in the chatroom who won't give him credit again unless he gets another triple double though, hes in the doghouse. He's a better defender than most give him credit for no duobt. Do some guards blow by him, hell yeah just like Jordan Hawkins guy did at will all night against both the Johnnies and Hall. But hes a scapegoat now so it will take a lot for him to get i the good graces. For me he's been easily the best of what turned out to be a weak set of transfers.

Reaction Score
My take is it’s simply that he’s too slow. On defense he can’t stay in front of his man, and on offense he can’t drive consistently because he’s just not quick enough to get by most big east guards.

Agree but Diarras handle doesn't allow his quickness to take over. He was starting the offense from between halfcourt and the hash mark, he couldn't get by Dawes either. Of course let's be honest Dawes and #21 were getting away with assault half the time as well hand checking, hip defending and somehow that's allowed?

Reaction Score
Maybe they should set screens for Newton bringing up the ball, though I would be concerned about moving picks, since we cannot seem to hold position. Remember how Alterique used to get creamed by the back court screens. It’s the offensive version of the high hedge, so it should be easy to put in.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He has shown good court vision through some of his passing. You never see him bringing the ball up though. Any event I think he needs more minutes as the first guard off bench. I think with 20 minutes a game you’ll get those 2-3 difference-making threes and someone who can make a free throw.
Agreed. He is an open court player but does not have the handle to deal with good guard pressure. Open court, give and go, passing and catch and shoot (mainly) he is very accomplished.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Maybe they should set screens for Newton bringing up the ball, though I would be concerned about moving picks, since we cannot seem to hold position. Remember how Alterique used to get creamed by the back court screens. It’s the offensive version of the high hedge, so it should be easy to put in.
Cannot or will not? Where is the gut check?

Reaction Score
With 11 games to go in the regular season.. Not sure we have a better solution at PG/CG than Newton.. I'm on board with trying to grab more PT for Joey but I think his handle as a primary PG would be more problematic vs. BE guards/athletic guards.. But his ability to facilitate as a CG/SG and his ability to make open threes is tremendously valuable.. Would call his D more disruptive than as a shut-down defender.

IMO.. The best solution is a shared PG role between Andre/Tristen.. Usually on the floor at the same time. If Newton can see the ball go in the hole more often he tends to play at the other end of floor with more enthusiasm. His body language speaks volumes as to whether he's into the game or not. BTW.. That's easy for opponents to see as well.

No question that Tristen is money at the FT line at crunch time.

Edit: Better picks by the 4/5s on the floor with Newton would do wonders for his ability to get to the hole more consistently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom