From Jay Bilas on ESPN Insider | The Boneyard

From Jay Bilas on ESPN Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ranks his top 68 teams for the tournament....UConn #42. This to me in a nutshell captures it perfectly:

"Being 0-2 in conference play is hardly a death blow, but the issues have to be addressed. UConn is not going to get any bigger or deeper. It has to get tougher."

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep, that pretty much nails it.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Bilas has a book called Toughness, so I wonder how many of his diagnoses are variations on the theme.

Reaction Score
will this be a three page thread about how Bilas is an idiot?

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
will this be a three page thread about how Bilas is an idiot?
Nope because Bilas is not an idiot. In fact by and large he and Andy Katz are 2 of the only ESPN analysts who give UConn a fair shake in my opinion. I know some of you (maybe many) don't agree with me about Bilas, but despite being a Dook grad, I think he's been pretty fair to UConn which is more than I can say for the likes of King Mushmouth Goodman.

Reaction Score
Nope because Bilas is not an idiot. In fact by and large he and Andy Katz are 2 of the only ESPN analysts who give UConn a fair shake in my opinion. I know some of you (maybe many) don't agree with me about Bilas, but despite being a Dook grad, I think he's been pretty fair to UConn which is more than I can say for the likes of King Mushmouth Goodman.

I agree... should have put a sarcasm sign. the last time we had a Bilas thread it became a $hitshow about how he doesn't know anything.

Reaction Score
I agree... should have put a sarcasm sign. the last time we had a Bilas thread it became a $hitshow about how he doesn't know anything.

and yet he was dead on....

Reaction Score
Bilas is fine, but he is absolutely in the pocket of the power programs and leagues. That is the one thing where I find him difficult to swallow. If the NCAA followed his advice, all the minor conferences would lose their bids and the power leagues would get 'em. So stories that actually make the NCAA tourney what it is, teams like FGCU, Virginia Commonwealth, Vermont a few years back, none of those would happen.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I think Bilas is pretty well liked on this site. He exhibits no anti-UConn bias, and never did, even when everyone else was piling on after the Nate Miles and APR fiascoes.

Reaction Score
What confuses me about this is that last season this was a very tough team, maybe one of the toughest in UConn history. They had two reliable scorers, zero post presence, a historically awful rebounding margin (by UConn standards), and a rookie head coach, yet they were two shots away from a Big East title in a year where the conference might have been as loaded ever. I don't know what's different about this year.

Reaction Score
Bilas is on the money with his comments, no problem here. He is a true professional and has always been fair to UConn in my opinion.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
What confuses me about this is that last season this was a very tough team, maybe one of the toughest in UConn history. They had two reliable scorers, zero post presence, a historically awful rebounding margin (by UConn standards), and a rookie head coach, yet they were two shots away from a Big East title in a year where the conference might have been as loaded ever. I don't know what's different about this year.
12 months. It IS a different team. Every time you bring a new piece into a 'team,' you are starting to form a team from scratch. Forming. Storming. Norming. Performing.

Reaction Score
Spot on, Jay. I hope KO can get that through to them.

Reaction Score
He's doesn't have anti-UCONN bias, but he does have a pro-DOOK bias.

Possible anti-VCU bias after he got pwned in March 2011. :oops:

Reaction Score
I think the players are simply having a hard time getting amped up for the new conference. They are having post-Big East withdrawal. Particularly, when the first game you play in the new conference is in a mostly empty arena more than half way across the country. However, many of the UConn players dream of playing professionally and part of getting to that level is bringing your game every time out.

Reaction Score
I think the players are simply having a hard time getting amped up for the new conference. They are having post-Big East withdrawal. Particularly, when the first game you play in the new conference is in a mostly empty arena more than half way across the country. However, many of the UConn players dream of playing professionally and part of getting to that level is bringing your game every time out.
Good try. I would bet that is not the reason at all. We are fortunate not to be BEasting it this year, as soft as we are. Can't use that defense Ford, they do need an injection of BE toughness though.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of talent on the floor for us, this Texas trip + Stanford has overshadowed that for many posters. defense needs to take the front seat, everybody needs to commit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Re: Toughness. I was just surfing around and caught the last few minutes of the women's team blowing out Houston. My middle daughter is playing hoop and is really starting to get into it enough to understand it and learn by watching, so I called her in to watch the end of the game, and I became interested when the announcers starting discussing how hard Geno's practices are.

One of the announcers was apparently a former player of ours named Megan, and I have to admit I have no idea who she is, but she was describing some pretty interesting tactics--she said the games were much easier than the practices. I had heard that they practice against men, but she said that Geno makes it seven or eight men versus five women. She explained that his point in this and other drills was to put you in situations where it was impossible to succeed; not that he expected you to overcome it, but that you would play through it and have the experience so that you keep your head when you are faced with adversity in game situations. And the entire point is to make the games be easier than the practices.

I only caught the end of the conversation, but it looked like they were previewing an upcoming episode of Geno's show where they show some more insight into his practices. I'm going to tape that for my daughter, but I'm actually curious to watch it myself now.

I'm generally among the most reluctant to entertain any discussion that suggests that the men's team could learn from the women, and that's still the case. This isn't about the women's game; it's about making tough competitors who can thrive in adversity, and designing practices to accomplish that result.

I don't know what JC did in practice, but I know that toughness was rarely a quality lacking in his teams. I agree with Bilas that toughness is lacking in this team, and that has to change if we are going to get back on track.

Reaction Score
Geno's practices are really good, good friend of mine and a HS coach at a solid state program has become good friends with Geno a lot at practice. But we could only wish that we had teams as pitiful as the Houston women were once in a while just for an easy win. I do believe he's a great coach and has a tremendous philosophy having the guys playing vs the women……..but you don't need that in the men's game as even the walk ons can normally compete……bottom line though our guys need to get a LOT tougher and that better begin in about 21 1/2 hours…..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought the 7/8 vs. 5 was interesting, but yeah the point is simple. I usually refer to the tactic as wearing ankle weights (remember those?), but anything that creates enough of a challenge to make in-game situations easier by comparison seems like a good idea.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know what's different about this year.
Calhoun told Ollie at the end of last season that this season would be a harder challenge for Ollie and he was right. Last season we were more dangerous because we had nothing to play for, so we had an edge. I've often found that an opponent with nothing to lose is a very dangerous opponent because there is a fearlessness that results from it. This team has lost its edge.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Coach Dakich made a poignant comment during the early action of OSU vs. MSU. Branden Dawson 6'6" 225 muscled his way past Scott (6'1" OSU guard). The play by play guy said you can't expect Scott to keep Dawson off the boards can you? Dakich said that is it not about the size, it is about the "want to".
The big problem lately is that we have several players, most of whom are thin or undersized for their position who are haven't shown the "want to" to battle hard for rebounds, remember to box out hard on every possession etc. and it has killed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom