from duffy--Q&A:Who will be the better pro—A.J.Price or Shabazz Napier? | The Boneyard

from duffy--Q&A:Who will be the better pro—A.J.Price or Shabazz Napier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Khalid didn't make it how can Bazz? I know the right team means everything but longevity makes a career. Bazz is too short, I hate to say. I love Bazz yet his size is not NBA attractive, period.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I usually like Duffy, but he is way off on this one. I love Shabazz for UCoon, but he's short and not that quick anymore (he seemed a lot quicker his freshman year, but it looks like all the injuries have slowed him down). His jump shot is getting better, but it's still not that great. I'm not sure how this all translates into an NBA career.

Reaction Score
I didn't think about El-Amin's experience while reading the answer until I saw the reply by Kitaman. It's a pretty good point given the fact that El-Amin has spent the past few years trying to get back to the NBA. You would assume that playing so well in the countries he has would him a shot but it doesn't look like its having much effect.

Being that short is a major obstacle. AJ is listed at 6'2" and even if that's an exaggeration he is definitely at least around 6 ft. I love Shabazz's game and I think he'll get a shot, but its not going to be easy for him.

Reaction Score
He's got to try to make it as a passer. Marcus Williams got to the league with NBA-level passing skills and turned into a chucker, which is why he's not in the league (that and cheeseburgers). If Bazz makes it, it'll be as a back-up PG and he'll need to be a solid guy who takes care of the ball, and not someone trying to be instant offense.

There are times I watch him toally command a game for a while where I can see it. But there are also times when a more athletic backcourt makes it difficult on him, where I wonder if he lacks that extra gear you need.

Reaction Score
I do not know who will end up being better. AJ is doing well for the Wizards and never got a fair shot for the Pacers. When I saw him play in Indiana multiple times he played very well, just never got more opportunities for whatever reason. Shabazz has a really good shot at the NBA, in my opinion. He is a very heady guard with a solid jumper and exceptional ball handling skills. I cannot think of one player in college that has moves like he does, if so please tell me. He is extremely crafty. The knocks are his size, but he is bigger than Kemba and look what he is doing. Kemba is going to be a stud, not saying Shabazz will, but the height thing shouldn't be a reason for him not to be in the NBA. I do also believe Shabazz is quick enough. I could see him being a version of Mike Conley

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
AJ's stats from college are a little misleading because he was still recovering from two very serious injuries ( hemorrhage from AVM and ACL tear.
AJ is perhaps 1.5 inches taller and is a good bit stronger(Bazz is not bigger than Kemba...they are close to the same height and Kemba is much stronger and faster). AJ has also always been a bit better at running the team (Bazz still has too much of a tendency to dribble in place or hold the ball, hurting the flow of the offense). I think their shot-making abilities and shooting touch are similar. Bazz does tend to force shots more from range.
I can still see Bazz as a back up PG in the NBA (ala AJ) but i dont think he would be drafted high enough to make it worthwhile leaving after this year. He will become more effective this year as he fully recovers from foot surgery and also becomes more consistent.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
AJ's stats from college are a little misleading because he was still recovering from two very serious injuries ( hemorrhage from AVM and ACL tear.
AJ is perhaps 1.5 inches taller and is a good bit stronger(Bazz is not bigger than Kemba...they are close to the same height and Kemba is much stronger and faster). AJ has also always been a bit better at running the team (Bazz still has too much of a tendency to dribble in place or hold the ball, hurting the flow of the offense). I think their shot-making abilities and shooting touch are similar. Bazz does tend to force shots more from range.
I can still see Bazz as a back up PG in the NBA (ala AJ) but i dont think he would be drafted high enough to make it worthwhile leaving after this year. He will become more effective this year as he fully recovers from foot surgery and also becomes more consistent.

I agree with everything you said, except AJ was more than a little better running the team. AJ almost never made the "what was he thinking" (or "wtf") plays that Shabazz continues to make fairly frequently. Bazz will continue to improve over time, but AJ seemed to have a better understanding of the game.

Reaction Score
I think - in some ways - extenuating circumstances lead to differences in how they are perceived. AJ was able to grow on the job with a bad team, and as he got better, the team got better. Bazz won a national title as a reserve as a freshman and had nowhere to go but down.

Last year was rough on Bazz, and probably deservedly so as the point guard, but he basically had a similar year to AJ's sophomore year - flashes of individual brilliance but inconsistent, team was up and down, but got to the NCAA's. Even the personnel around them was sorta similar (Thabeet/Drummond, Adrien/Oriakhi, Sticks/Roscoe, Lamb/Dyson, Wiggins/Boatright off the bench). Only difference was it was a big leap forward and a building block in 2008, and a step back that led to nothing in 2012.

Now that Bazz has reached his junior year and has probably grown into his role well enough to lead the team somewhere, the team has nowhere to go. So maybe next year will be the one to finish his legacy as a Husky (although he basically ran the show the whole second half against Butler with Kemba off the ball, so I'll say that's a feather in his cap regardless).

Reaction Score
AJ was, without question, the better college player, also a better leader. They both have a whole lot of heart though.

Bazz is going to struggle at the next level. Not a great shooter, not a great floor leader, not extremely quick (although faster than AJ) and very short. But as I said, he's got a lot of heart..and maybe he'll have a Kemba like jump.

Interestingly, I think AJ would have been the better player to mentor Bazz. Bazz's game should be more like AJ's than Kemba's, but after a year with Kemba, I think he's tried to play like Kemba, and that isn't his strength. (And who could blame him. What young guard that played next to Kemba wouldn't want to play just like Kemba?)

Reaction Score
Long way to go but AJ was real good, and bigger, stronger which is an advantage....similar speed and quickness but AJ's already there and has a contract so right now it's simple!! LOL

Reaction Score
AJ is still in the NBA while more talented guys like Marcus Williams are long gone. The biggest advantage he has over Bazz is his height and instincts as a PG. He is rock solid and you can trust him not to make many mistakes. Bass is quicker and more explosive as a scorer. At this point in their college careers the slight edge goes to Bazz. I'm not sure Bazz can overcome his lack of size, and ability as a true PG tho. I doubt SN will be in the NBA long, but I hope I'm wrong. He is definitely one of my favorite Huskies.

Reaction Score
I didn't think about El-Amin's experience while reading the answer until I saw the reply by Kitaman. It's a pretty good point given the fact that El-Amin has spent the past few years trying to get back to the NBA. You would assume that playing so well in the countries he has would him a shot but it doesn't look like its having much effect.

Being that short is a major obstacle. AJ is listed at 6'2" and even if that's an exaggeration he is definitely at least around 6 ft. I love Shabazz's game and I think he'll get a shot, but its not going to be easy for him.

KEA was shorter and chunky. Bass is quicker.

Reaction Score
He's got to try to make it as a passer. Marcus Williams got to the league with NBA-level passing skills and turned into a chucker, which is why he's not in the league (that and cheeseburgers.

Not trying to bash KEA, one of the most beloved Huskies of all time (and deservedly so), but he was/is very fond of cheeseburgers himself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom