Friday NCAAT games | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Friday NCAAT games

Reaction Score
Dare I say it parity is slowly but surely coming to the women's game? Seems like it by these first round tourney games. UConn hopefully can make a statement tomorrow like South Carolina did.

Reaction Score
And I like Pennsylvania - PSU is located in a town called State College.
Actually PSU is like UMD & ND - PSU is in University Park PA and UMD is in College Park MD - their very own towns like ND apparently.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arizona State with just a masterful defensive job limiting Jankoska while still containing everyone else. And this has gotta be one of ASU's best offensive games all season.

Reaction Score
Arizona State with just a masterful defensive job limiting Jankoska while still containing everyone else. And this has gotta be one of ASU's best offensive games all season.
Next year we'll get to see a senior Courtney Ekmark in the starting line up, so they will be even better.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Next year we'll get to see a senior Courtney Ekmark in the starting line up, so they will be even better.

They will be better in the backcourt, for sure. They lose Brunner, Dornstauder, and Moos to graduation, so their post play might be a problem.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also, I believe Ekmark will be only a junior, eligibility-wise.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dare I say it parity is slowly but surely coming to the women's game? Seems like it by these first round tourney games. UConn hopefully can make a statement tomorrow like South Carolina did.

I think this is true. UConn's dominance has somewhat masked the increased balance across the country. Look at last year's Final 4 w/ 3 surprising entrants.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I will say whoever at ASU worked with Dornstoder from her freshman year till now deserves a big raise.

Dornstoder and Brunner are a solid, unheralded pair of post players.

Reaction Score
Also, I believe Ekmark will be only a junior, eligibility-wise.
Yeah that is true, but time stands still for no one, not even the NCAA believe it or not.

Reaction Score
I think this is true. UConn's dominance has somewhat masked the increased balance across the country. Look at last year's Final 4 w/ 3 surprising entrants.
As I said in another thread, I really enjoyed last year's final four. I like seeing new teams and new players I have never been able to watch before. Hopefully this year continues that trend. Watching Kim toss her coat, Muffet crouching on the side lines, or South Carolina screeching bloody murder is just not that interesting to me. We played all those teams and beat them already.

Plebe

Reaction Score
#7 Creighton just completely dominated #10 Toledo, who was surely a low #11 seed and got a generous procedural bump.

Creighton next plays Oregon State.

Reaction Score
KU holds on 73-70. Think this team has a chance against OSU?
If its Oregon State University, then YES! I just got back from the game. I'm taking a barf bag to the Sunday game.

Reaction Score
I went to the Corvallis Regional today, and I must say, my emotion was that I feel terrible for Long Beach State players and fans. Long Beach State played with more poise, and, heart than OSU. While there were OSU players that stunk it up tonight (Gulich & Wiese), there were some players that kept us in this game (Breanna Brown, Pivek, Hanson, McWilliams). Unfortunately, our coach got out coached AGAIN! In the 4th quarter, why does Rueck have Wiese playing the point and have her dribble around for 20 seconds (while double teamed) when we have others who can play the point and get the ball to Wiese off of screens ready to shoot? Just horrible. OSU played best when 6' 2" Katie McWilliams ran the point (while Wiese was on the bench). While the OSU players didn't execute today, most disappointed in the coach.

I stayed for the 1st quarter of the Creighton-Toledo game. It was over in the 1st 5 minutes. Toledo was totally over-matched in this game. Creighton looks well coached, and have a solid point guard who can hit 3's & drives to the hoop with authority. I believe OSU will be able to contain her, but unless the Beaver players come to the game with their heads screwed on correctly, they may not make it to Stockton.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If its Oregon State University, then YES! I just got back from the game. I'm taking a barf bag to the Sunday game.
I hope it's just opening game jitters. This team is better than that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What has struck me in watching games today on wrap around and a bit on ESPN3 is that the mid-majors are just as well coached as the P5 and the players possess just as much basketball skill - what they lack is athleticism and height to match up. The ones whose players have a little experience in getting to the dance also seem to play better. I think Robert Morris while still handled easily by ND, was clearly better prepared this year than last and I don't think they are actually a better team this year, just knew what to expect.

And the lower seeds who do well all have good quick guards and figure out a way to defensive rebound.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I hope it's just opening game jitters. This team is better than that.
I am not sure they are - they are offensively challenged, so any team that makes their own shots is going to be competitive. OSU didn't 'stomp' on many teams this year, their MOV overall was +12 points and their MOV in conference games was +8. The average score in conference was 64.3 to 56.3. (Worthy of an SEC power! :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I am not sure they are - they are offensively challenged, so any team that makes their own shots is going to be competitive. OSU didn't 'stomp' on many teams this year, their MOV overall was +12 points and their MOV in conference games was +8. The average score in conference was 64.3 to 56.3. (Worthy of an SEC power! :rolleyes:)
Wait. You honestly think this OSU team is really only 1 point better than LBS? I want you to look me in the eye and say that with a straight face.

No, you can't. Just as you can't say UConn is really on 3 points better than Tulane.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Is Notre Dame an actual town in Indiana? They are showing ND now and it said they are playing in Notre Dame IN.

I think the TV networks that broadcast college football games are to blame for this confusion. They always say they are coming to you from "South Bend" when broadcasting Notre Dame games, but Purcell Pavilion and Notre Dame Stadium are both in Notre Dame, Indiana.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St.'s best player was 1-8 behind the 3 point line today. She hits close to 50% on the season. She has an average game and it's a completely different scenario today.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wait. You honestly think this OSU team is really only 1 point better than LBS? I want you to look me in the eye and say that with a straight face.

No, you can't.
What I am saying is any team that hits shots against them is not going to get blown away - they play close games against all comers because most nights they score just over 60 points. That is their MO. So they scored 8 points below their standard output, and they gave up about their average points per game. Would people be dancing in the isles if it was a 9 point win - it would still look bad.

Reaction Score
In my mind, the stock of both OSU and Wiese has dropped recently. It's been shown that Wiese can be contained by athletic guards that deny her the ball and have the quickness to stay in front of her. OSU needs, quickly, to find other ways to use her. Perimeter ball screens are not working well. She's strong, maybe she can take these smaller guards down low. I think it's become clear that if she has a future in the WNBA it's not as a point guard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
What I am saying is any team that hits shots against them is not going to get blown away - they play close games against all comers because most nights they score just over 60 points. That is their MO. So they scored 8 points below their standard output, and they gave up about their average points per game. Would people be dancing in the isles if it was a 9 point win - it would still look bad.
That qualification I can agree with. It's been proved out by how they've amassed any number of close wins this year. They're a group of heartache/headache kids. I however wouldn't underestimate their ability to march straight through to a meeting with the Duke/Maryland winner through a series of close wins.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom