Friday games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Friday games

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I’m at the Oregon-Arizona game. AZ really gave the Ducks a game in the first half. McDonald is explosive - reminds me of Arike except she’s a PG and not a chucker. Hebard wearing a brace, but playing great. She and Sabally are eating the AZ bigs alive on both ends in the 2nd half and there’s nothing they can do about it,
How do you define "chucker"? Arike has a slightly higher shooting percentage overall and from the arc. Plus she has taken fewer shots. Arike also has slightly more assists.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UCLA led by only 3 at the half but really ran away from Utah in the 2nd half.
Onyenwere with another monster game: 29 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals.
Kennedy Burke added 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists.

Utah has been a sad story this season. Lost 2 starters to ACL injuries, and those 2 late collapses vs. ASU will probably be what keeps them out of the NCAA tournament.
I would rather have Utah, Cal and or USC in the tournament than Tennessee.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How do you define "chucker"? Arike has a slightly higher shooting percentage overall and from the arc. Plus she has taken fewer shots. Arike also has slightly more assists.

I've seen a fair bit of McDonald this year. She has the same problem as Melgoza at UW, often the ONLY scoring threat for their team, which means they take some pretty crazy, low percentage shots at times. Put either one on a better team w/ teammates that can score consistently and the shooting % would go up significantly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mazyck scored 30 for USC (84-77 final), 11-17 FG. She's been on a tear lately. There are some darn fine players in the Pac 12. Some are household names. Some are not but are deserving of much more recognition than they get.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Luckily it was sublime in the 3rd quarter so they could afford to go scoreless for 6+ minutes.

And Rueck just got T'ed up twice in succession and ejected.
Hehe. Who were the refs?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Some bad news for Oregon. Taylor Chavez, by far their best guard off the bench, is out "indefinitely" with a foot injury.

Unfortunately for Duck fans, Oregon's limited roster is suddenly becoming a problem. Only 8 tonight, Hebard still isn't completely herself and is playing limited minutes, and Yaeger's back is always a concern. But they did win going away--I don't think Arizona scored in the fourth quarter--got some good minutes from the bench, and shot 57% overall, although below their average from 3. What happens from this point on until the NCAA Tournament isn't all that important imo,, since the win clinches at least a tie for the Pac 12 championship and the #1 seed in the Pac 12 tournament. With luck, Chavez will be back by March madness and there won't be any additional injuries.

Reaction Score

Comparison between McDonald and Arike's stats, as of this morning (03-02-2019). Never seen McDonald play was curios from yours and j66kicker post. I'm also curios of the word "chucker", could it be he/she meant "volume shooter". Stats does not support that, McDonald avergaes 18.7 FGA/gm to Arike's 16.7 FGA/gm.

Other than that, if a blind test was conducted on these two players, I would believe the majority would take McDonald's stat line. (these stats came right out of the schools websites this morning)

1551517865003.png

Reaction Score
My other observation from the AZ-OR game was that Oregon plays tough defense, and they play hard - hard like a championship team plays. Their intensity seemed higher than when I’ve seen them play last year and the year before. Like they have ‘learned’ to play hard.

I was particularl impressed with Cazorla. I never considered her to be very athletic, but she really gets after it, and on defense too. Nobody takes any plays off. I sort of sensed this is because that’s what Sabrina demands of her teammates. She is definitely the dominant personality

Reaction Score
Re: Oregon State vs ASU, this is the 3rd straight ASU win over OSU. This game was on Rueck. He needs to recognize that Jo Grymek is not effective against a smaller lineup of quick jumpers. OSU was effectively playing 4 on 5 while Jo was in the game. When Jo was on the bench in the 4th quarter, OSU, and their smaller lineup, was effective vs ASU in a 5 v 5 game. OSU has the luxury of multiple lineups to match up, but Rueck stayed way to long with Jo Grymek last night. Jo is to slow, and cannot rebound, defend against smaller quicker lineups. I'm counting on OSU coaching staff to learn from this game, not so much the players, as I thought they did all they could given the circumstances.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Comparison between McDonald and Arike's stats, as of this morning (03-02-2019). Never seen McDonald play was curios from yours and j66kicker post. I'm also curios of the word "chucker", could it be he/she meant "volume shooter". Stats does not support that, McDonald avergaes 18.7 FGA/gm to Arike's 16.7 FGA/gm.

Other than that, if a blind test was conducted on these two players, I would believe the majority would take McDonald's stat line. (these stats came right out of the schools websites this morning)

View attachment 40379
The stats I looked at last were not updated through last night's game, so Aari must have shot better than usual. But I'm not sure how you can say that Aari stats are better. They shoot the same overall from the field, but Arike is somewhat better from 3 and the FT line. Ari has more rebounds and slightly more assists, but she plays more minutes and has far more turnovers. Arike's assist/turnover ratio is far superior. Ari has more steals. At best it seems a wash.

But as you state, Aari shoots more than Arike, so if anyone is a gunner in this scenario, it's Aari. And Arike, while not a PG, has better PG stats.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
My other observation from the AZ-OR game was that Oregon plays tough defense, and they play hard - hard like a championship team plays. Their intensity seemed higher than when I’ve seen them play last year and the year before. Like they have ‘learned’ to play hard.

I was particularl impressed with Cazorla. I never considered her to be very athletic, but she really gets after it, and on defense too. Nobody takes any plays off. I sort of sensed this is because that’s what Sabrina demands of her teammates. She is definitely the dominant personality

I agree. Oregon has come a long way defensively (and had a long way to come)--and they have matured. It's easy to forget how relatively young they were last year, and I think the Notre Dame game, especially, was an eye opener for the team. I also think that, until the recent injuries, the limited roster has been a plus. As for Cazorla, she seems to be sneaky fast at times, especially when driving to the rim. Maybe her generally placid demeanor is something of a disguise. Or maybe it's necessary to balance her backcourt partner. I'm sure there will be dissenters, but--when everyone is completely healthy--I think this is the best team to come out of the Pac 12 in a while, with Graves--and, again, I suspect I'm in a minority here--deserving more credit for how the team plays than he tends to receive.

Reaction Score
The stats I looked at last were not updated through last night's game, so Aari must have shot better than usual. But I'm not sure how you can say that Aari stats are better. They shoot the same overall from the field, but Arike is somewhat better from 3 and the FT line. Ari has more rebounds and slightly more assists, but she plays more minutes and has far more turnovers. Arike's assist/turnover ratio is far superior. Ari has more steals. At best it seems a wash.

But as you state, Aari shoots more than Arike, so if anyone is a gunner in this scenario, it's Aari. And Arike, while not a PG, has better PG stats.

Agree the stats are pretty much a wash from one another. I didn't really say McDonald's stats are better than Arike's. I mentioned if a "blind test" was conducted I would believe the majority would select McDonald's stat line over Arike's...reason, IMO the one overriding stat, at least for me, is the 24.9pts/gm for McDonald vs 21.3pts/gm for Arike. Otherwise, to my eyes they are both on same par with each other...just looking at their stats. Haven't seen McDonald play but next time I get the chance I will.

Reaction Score
I agree. Oregon has come a long way defensively (and had a long way to come)--and they have matured. It's easy to forget how relatively young they were last year, and I think the Notre Dame game, especially, was an eye opener for the team. I also think that, until the recent injuries, the limited roster has been a plus. As for Cazorla, she seems to be sneaky fast at times, especially when driving to the rim. Maybe her generally placid demeanor is something of a disguise. Or maybe it's necessary to balance her backcourt partner. I'm sure there will be dissenters, but--when everyone is completely healthy--I think this is the best team to come out of the Pac 12 in a while, with Graves--and, again, I suspect I'm in a minority here--deserving more credit for how the team plays than he tends to receive.
Why wouldn’t Graves get the credit? He’s done a great job. Geez, this type of performance doesn’t just “happen itself.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

I really think that the turning point for Oregon's defense was their loss at Michigan State, where they gave up 88 points and allowed MSU to shoot 57%. Graves called out his team's lack of effort:

"They made a layup, they shot a wide open 3, or we fouled them. That was basically the whole game," Oregon coach Kelly Graves said. "We just kind of went through the motions defensively. We're not a very good defensive team anyway, and when you play with that kind of effort, that's what's going to happen."​

In Pac-12 play they have only given up 62 points per game, which represents a huge improvement.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
But as you state, Aari shoots more than Arike, so if anyone is a gunner in this scenario, it's Aari.

Arike has Shepard, Mabrey, Young and Turner next to her in the starting lineup. Aari has...not much. The fact that Arike is shooting nearly as often as Aari despite having all that talent next to her should tell you something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom