Freshman Numbers | The Boneyard

Freshman Numbers

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another way to look at "shoes to fill" would be to cite the BEST player ever to wear the number, rather than the most recent player. That would result in only three differences that I see:

#3: that girl from Southern California (I keep forgetting her name)
#10: Hopefully (in my mind) UConn's next head coach
#32: LadyKG (but it would have been Maya if she didn't already have the number)

For #5 and #11, I think the most recent wearers were the best players ever to wear the number. Of course, if EDD had stayed at UConn, she would have had #11 on the wall.

Reaction Score
Another way to look at "shoes to fill" would be to cite the BEST player ever to wear the number, rather than the most recent player. That would result in only three differences that I see:

#3: that girl from Southern California (I keep forgetting her name)
#10: Hopefully (in my mind) UConn's next head coach
#32: LadyKG (but it would have been Maya if she didn't already have the number)

For #5 and #11, I think the most recent wearers were the best players ever to wear the number. Of course, if EDD had stayed at UConn, she would have had #11 on the wall.

I love KG but think Swin is the bigger shoe

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Surreal that Edwards gets Diana's old number. Especially since I don't recall forwards getting such low digits.

Reaction Score
Did you realize that Shea Ralph wore that number before Lou did? If #3 and #10 are not sacred, I don't see how #33 can be.

I think it is open to debate whether Shea or Lou would be at the top of the list of UConn #33's.
Shea

Reaction Score
UConn would be running out of numbers if the greats all had their numbers retired. I like what UConn does by recognizing a Husky who makes all American on their wall of honor rather than “retire” the number.

That being said, most programs only retire numbers for true program changers/all time greats. UConn has had plenty and will continue to for sometime but I the criteria for number retirement in programs is much higher than making an all American team.

what UConn is doing allows anyone who has made a significant contribution that is recognized at the national level get a place on the wall where their successes are highlighted for those new fans who may not remember the players from years back. It helps keep the memories alive for the old fans as well. I like what the program does to recognize success.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Would you be happy if the gave it to a killer? A beast on the court?
Did you realize that Shea Ralph wore that number before Lou did? If #3 and #10 are not sacred, I don't see how #33 can be.

I think it is open to debate whether Shea or Lou would be at the top of the list of UConn #33's.
I'm partial to Katie Lou and 33 because she wore it to honor Larry Bird. I stopped watching men's basketball when he retired and really didn't watch much of it in his later years.
Now, back to the OP.

Reaction Score
UConn would be running out of numbers if the greats all had their numbers retired. I like what UConn does by recognizing a Husky who makes all American on their wall of honor rather than “retire” the number.

That being said, most programs only retire numbers for true program changers/all time greats. UConn has had plenty and will continue to for sometime but I the criteria for number retirement in programs is much higher than making an all American team.

what UConn is doing allows anyone who has made a significant contribution that is recognized at the national level get a place on the wall where their successes are highlighted for those new fans who may not remember the players from years back. It helps keep the memories alive for the old fans as well. I like what the program does to recognize success.

At UConn, if you want to have your number retired, all you have to do is get elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. That's all.

Jim

Reaction Score

UConn does retire numbers, but the criteria is membership in the Naismith Hall of Fame. So far, Ray Allen (34) on the men‘s side and Rebecca Lobo (50) on the women’s are the only retired numbers.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn does retire numbers, but the criteria is membership in the Naismith Hall of Fame. So far, Ray Allen (34) on the men‘s side and Rebecca Lobo (50) on the women’s are the only retired numbers.
So another words the numbers 3 and 10 on the woman's side should only be available at the max 8 more years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom