OT: - Freihofer chocolate chip cookies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Freihofer chocolate chip cookies

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So I'm not the only one with these issues. I feel your pain. We rarely get Chinese food anymore, it's more of an oh crud, what's for dinner. Pizza? We only found one place within 30 mins and decided it's more fun to make our own, so I make the dough, daughter forms them, grandkids do the toppings, and son in law mans the pizza oven.
Its an ongoing issue.

Here in Tucson we get an assortment of pizza that we do like, but none of it is truly what we were used to in NJ - a pizza joint in every town kind of place. I sort of would give the NJ-like prize to a place called Bear Canyon Pizza, except they do "huge" slices and the sauce is a bit spicy. But it sort of captures the NJ vibe. If / when we visit NJ, I really want some pizza.

Chinese is - again - not NJ - every town with a Chinese take-out / fast food sort of place - but some isn't that bad. The problems are really that no one makes NJ style Chow Mein (one restaurant did but went out of business) or much NJ style at all (and my wife can't get her Duck Sauce). That said, some Panda Express dishes are actually close to NJ style - such as String Bean Chicken and Pepper Steak. Again, if we visit NJ I want Roast Pork with Broccoli.

Regional treats from NJ, NY and the North East - fuhgeddaboudit.

Reaction Score
Don't remember Freihofer's cookies as a kid. Freihofer's bread is another story in southeastern PA.
Rixxx- - Now ya got me!
I LOVE Freihofer's ITALIAN Bread here in CT! To me it's white bread, but a rose by any other name............
My Cardiac 3 Doctor team made me cut out sodium completely or as close as I can but the Stop and Shop bread with O sodium also had O taste, so I begged them to let me go back to Freihofer's! They said I was a Cardiac Doctor's dream and let me go back!

Reaction Score
Freihofers is a Northeastern brand. My husband, who grew up in Albany NY, remembers them as the most awesome cookies ever but we can’t find them or, apparently, order them for delivery here in Florida. Are they still in the stores up in the Northeast? Can I pay someone to send me a box?
Yes their product is still here hit and miss as everything with the pandemic.
The Boneyard is awesome. I appreciate you folks that are on the lookout for me.
My husband has an awful cold that turned into a sinus/ear infection. It would make him a happy guy to get Freihofer’s cookies.
PM me and I will send you a bag of Pepperidge Farm Double chocolate Nantucket. He will forget Freihofer's ever existed, that unless you decide to start baking. Obviously you would win. ;)

Reaction Score
Searching for Freihofer's outlets near me (North Haven CT), come to find out it's under Bimbo Bakeries USA. It seems Bimbo Bakery USA is the parent company of many baked goods brands.

Link below has an outlet locator for each state and also a header link for "our brands". Not sure which brands each outlet across the country will carry but there's a contact us as well on this webpage.

...by the way in CT there are three outlet stores;
284 Bull Hill Ln., Orange, CT 06477
207 Shunpike Rd., Cromwell, CT 06416
1041 New Haven Rd., Naugatuck, CT 06770

Reaction Score
Hmmm...... there appears to be a Freihofer's outlet here in Rochester (for whomever above mentioned it tastes the same as Entemann's, I could have sworn this location used to be an Entemann's outlet....). I'm not sure if it's open. The website says that most of their outlets are currently closed and the Google page says it's always closed on Mon/Tues anyway, but I can try to swing by later this week and see if they are
The address of the Connecticut outlet on Bull Hill Rd in West Haven / Orange used to be an Entenmann’s outlet also. Based on a photo of the inside that outlet it appears that both brands occupy the same outlet and it could be that the chocolate chip cookies are identical. If you do not live close to the Florida outlets try Entenmann’s. They are available in all of the supermarkets in my neck of the woods.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The address of the Connecticut outlet on Bull Hill Rd in West Haven / Orange used to be an Entenmann’s outlet also. Based on a photo of the inside that outlet it appears that both brands occupy the same outlet and it could be that the chocolate chip cookies are identical. If you do not live close to the Florida outlets try Entenmann’s. They are available in all of the supermarkets in my neck of the woods.
Entemanns is not the same as Freihofer

Reaction Score
Yes, Entenmanns and Freihofer chocolate chip cookies are quite different. I was addicted to Freihoffers back when I was a Post-doc at SUNY Albany back in the 70's. Entenmanns cookies are moist and chewy while Freihoffers have a unique dry texture, as I recall. Entenmanns last a long time while Freihoffers will become stale much more quickly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, Entenmanns and Freihofer chocolate chip cookies are quite different. I was addicted to Freihoffers back when I was a Post-doc at SUNY Albany back in the 70's. Entenmanns cookies are moist and chewy while Freihoffers have a unique dry texture, as I recall. Entenmanns last a long time while Freihoffers will become stale much more quickly.
I’ve never had a box of Friehofer’s cookies go stale. Of course, I’ve never had a box of Friehofer’s cookies last more than 24 hrs…;)

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
When I went to RPI (Troy, NY) in the late 50's, when we had lots of loaves of Freihofer bread delivered to our fraternity house, it was delivered by horse-drawn wagon! If you pulled an all-nighter or were a light sleeper, you would hear the clip-clop of the horse's hooves about 5 AM. The horse was called Freddy Freihofer on TV adds. I guess they had a number of horses, all named Freddy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom