Freemans departure points to portal recruiting woes. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Freemans departure points to portal recruiting woes.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Definitely not a critic of Hurley and didn't intend to criticize him. If KF wasn't doing his job, kudo's to DH. I was being more critical of KF that forced Hurley's hand to push him out the door.
My point exactly.

Reaction Score
So DH is pissed somebody took some time off...……………………………..
I guess he doesn't consider talking to the transfer hopefuls as part of his job anymore or let's blame others that no one has decided as UConn a place to hang their court.
The more you hear him talk or you hear comments about his thoughts/actions you sometimes have to wonder.
DH has done wonders on the recruiting trail, he needs some help, thats what assistant coaches get paid for. Do you really still miss KO THAT MUCH. Sounds like it

Reaction Score
Is the issue that Hurley is tough to work for and overly demanding of his staff?

I guess. But Employment is voluntary. I would say he should make sure he doesn’t chase off assistants, but he is also responsible for the the program and winning.

I don’t think some are appreciating how high stakes this is. Any job that pays you 250k and up is gonna be demanding 24/7, 365.

Reaction Score
Is the issue that Hurley is tough to work for and overly demanding of his staff?

I guess. But Employment is voluntary. I would say he should make sure he doesn’t chase off assistants, but he is also responsible for the the program and winning.

I don’t think some are appreciating how high stakes this is. Any job that pays you 250k and up is gonna be demanding 24/7, 365.
Question for you or anyone with any insight. Why do quite a few people on here insist that KFree was terminated? Could it be a matter of him just taking a lateral move within the Athletics Department so that DH can get the coach he wanted all along? Or if he was terminated, wouldn't this move potentially create an issue between DH and Dave Benedict if Hurley truly wanted him gone? Thoughts?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Question for you or anyone with any insight. Why do quite a few people on here insist that KFree was terminated? Could it be a matter of him just taking a lateral move within the Athletics Department so that DH can get the coach he wanted all along? Or if he was terminated, wouldn't this move potentially create an issue between DH and Dave Benedict if Hurley truly wanted him gone? Thoughts?
I don't know what it pays, but I doubt it was merely a lateral move. I don't even know if the position existed before Jamelle Elliot was given it in the past, and wasn't filled when she left it to go back to the bench.

Reaction Score
I don't know what it pays, but I doubt it was merely a lateral move. I don't even know if the position existed before Jamelle Elliot was given it in the past, and wasn't filled when she left it to go back to the bench.
Elliott was making $90K a year in that position and went up to $130K as an assistant. Freeman was making $250K as an assistant so presumably will be a step down even if he makes more than Elliott was in 2019

Reaction Score
I dont think freeman was terminated. People change jobs all the time.

maybe it wasn’t clicking. That is ok too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
im not so sure that we've missed anything yet from the portal thing.
im not so sure that we need anything more to compete at the highest level.
im not so sure that johnson, hawkins, and diggins can't fill our 'holes.'
i am sure that it ticks me off to no end that a player like this wouldn't be a number one attempt for us.
or mebbe it's already a done deal?
'It’s fairly obvious that some people believe other schools — specifically, the University of Kentucky — were talking to Fredrick about possibly transferring before he ever filed his paperwork.'
or mebbe it's because of our factual track record of never having a white kid who falls outta bed in the morning jacking 3s, and making around half? he is a career 47% 3 baller. 2019-2020, his freshman year, he was .637 in True Shooting %, numero uno for the entire big 10. what am i missing here?
again, what is up with that? it's gone from 'an oddity' to a fact. ridiculous.
CJ Fredrick College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think you nailed it. Kevin continues to be re-deployed within the Program and has the respect of DB/DH as an asset to the Athletic Dept.

Hopefully a win/win/win for all parties as the new pieces come together.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
DH has done wonders on the recruiting trail, he needs some help, thats what assistant coaches get paid for. Do you really still miss KO THAT MUCH. Sounds like i
im not so sure that we've missed anything yet from the portal thing.
im not so sure that we need anything more to compete at the highest level.
im not so sure that johnson, hawkins, and diggins can't fill our 'holes.'
i am sure that it ticks me off to no end that a player like this wouldn't be a number one attempt for us.
or mebbe it's already a done deal?
'It’s fairly obvious that some people believe other schools — specifically, the University of Kentucky — were talking to Fredrick about possibly transferring before he ever filed his paperwork.'
or mebbe it's because of our factual track record of never having a white kid who falls outta bed in the morning jacking 3s, and making around half? he is a career 47% 3 baller. 2019-2020, his freshman year, he was .637 in True Shooting %, numero uno for the entire big 10. what am i missing here?
again, what is up with that? it's gone from 'an oddity' to a fact. ridiculous.
CJ Fredrick College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
What about Neils?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
What about Neils?
for context on time. niels giffey is now 30 years old, 2 years older than current 9 year nba veteran andre drummond. he wasn't here yesterday, or the day before that. he was here 3 presidents ago, by one measure of time. it's not a black/white thing, it's a 'how can this type of so common a player not be anywhere near our team for such a long time?' thing. just plain odd. all the other top tier teams have no such quirk. i didn't say 'start for the team', i said simply 'on the team.'
and why shouldn't cj frederick, given the seeming desire here to have a proven and highly accomplished 3 baller from the portal, be the prime target for us?
i don't get it. the man is a lifetime 47% 3 shooter, with years of eligibilty left.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
for context on time. niels giffey is now 30 years old, 2 years older than current 9 year nba veteran andre drummond. he wasn't here yesterday, or the day before that. he was here 3 presidents ago, by one measure of time. it's not a black/white thing, it's a 'how can this type of so common a player not be anywhere near our team for such a long time?' thing. just plain odd. all the other top tier teams have no such quirk. i didn't say 'start for the team', i said simply 'on the team.'
and why shouldn't cj frederick, given the seeming desire here to have a proven and highly accomplished 3 baller from the portal, be the prime target for us?
i don't get it. the man is a lifetime 47% 3 shooter, with years of eligibilty left.
Sounds like we never had a shot and CJ and family are from Natti, prime Wildcat recruiting country.

Reaction Score
We have a top ten class or so that hasn't made it to campus yet. We've increased the number of top 60 players being brought in from two a year to three a year. Intensity and high goals are great. Stupidity is not. Judging recruiting success in chunks of less than one full annual cycle is just stupid. Recruiting isn't like competing in a sport. You can do everything right, and better than your opponent, and still lose BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL COME HERE.
Do people really think the FL vaca trips are the only reason kfree isn't on the staff anymore
IMO it was a number of reasons and differences in level of priorities that caused the staff relationship to require a change.

Reaction Score
I dont think freeman was terminated. People change jobs all the time.

maybe it wasn’t clicking. That is ok too.
Confirmed, he wasn’t officially terminated. But, let’s not blame it on his wife either. The work/life balance being achieved was with KO in Miami.

But, hey he was the lowest paid assistant, so that makes him the fall guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Confirmed, he wasn’t officially terminated. But, let’s not blame it on his wife either. The work/life balance being achieved was with KO in Miami.

But, hey he was the lowest paid assistant, so that makes him the fall guy.
Doubt this had to do with pay. Welcome to competitive sports, Production>everything else. Had Kimani done this alone or last summer after pulling in Adama, we’d never hear of it.

Reaction Score
Doubt this had to do with pay. Welcome to competitive sports, Production>everything else. Had Kimani done this alone or last summer after pulling in Adama, we’d never hear of it.
But why does the lowest paid guy “depart” when the entire staff struck out on the portal? But, of course, we don’t know all the specifics.

Reaction Score
But why does the lowest paid guy “depart” when the entire staff struck out on the portal? But, of course, we don’t know all the specifics.
Correct. That doesn’t point to causation tho, Kimani & Tom have a track record. Free doesn’t at this point in time

Reaction Score
Correct. That doesn’t point to causation tho, Kimani & Tom have a track record. Free doesn’t at this point in time
Chief generally just asks public questions, if he already knows the answer. Another of Chief’s techniques, which I am starting to reveal to be better understood.

Reaction Score
Chief generally just asks public questions, if he already knows the answer. Another of Chief’s techniques, which I am starting to reveal to be better understood.
Thank you. I would like to better understand why you use "Chief" sometimes and "I" sometimes. Please let me know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom