Freemans departure points to portal recruiting woes. | The Boneyard

Freemans departure points to portal recruiting woes.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I told y'all. All has not been well within. The quote below suggests DH is refusing to indulge in slacking off when there is work to be done.

S.Guys statement: The return of Polley, a shooting wing, should help. But his pending return wasn’t known in the days after the season ended. With hot attention on the transfer portal, Hurley, according to those multiple sources, wasn’t thrilled with his staff.

Kudos DH, now lets see if you can bring in arse kickers to make up for the lost time of others and start winning on threcruiting trail again. We all should know by now, you sleep, you weep.

Reaction Score
It’s been so quiet lately, probably all that stuff brewing under wraps.

Reaction Score
Yeah I hate things like this. It creates problems everywhere, even on the court. I like Freeman but like others, I was underwhelmed with his hire. We need workhorses. JC would put up with this crap either. Probably why Tom Moore’s name hasn’t come up because he’s been groomed a certain way. Bad timing even though we have 3 studs coming in, we need to find that one superstar that gives us our death blow and when it comes to recruiting, there are lots of hungry coaches out there ALL THE TIME. If said coach and their family isn’t all in, there will be some problems. Your coach has to be a junkie and his wife has to back him.

Reaction Score
These people are adults. Hurley is getting paid $3.5M. That is a lot of money. He is competitive and he has insane pressure to win. He is also high intensity. If he is unhappy, he is allowed to be unhappy.

Coaches, Saban and Coughlin great examples, put their screws to assistant coaches. Now, was Hurley getting on his assistants for a Florida trip maybe crossing the line? Probably. But he was probably more upset at not landing a shooter like Locke.

I worked with an insanely intense boss when I left the journalism business. the pressure was enormous. That person was more intense than hurley and there was money at stake. Ya know what? Ya gotta be a little crazy to succeed.

Just because people leave jobs, that is not a big issue. Everyone is in a different spot in their life and have to have a comfortable lifestyle that they can live with.

Hurley is demanding. I am sure he needs to balance that with reasonableness for the long haul. But sometimes you gotta push your staff. Some can handle it, some will break, some would rather do someting else. It's called a job.

But, this isn't cookies and milk show. Make no mistake, these are well-compensated and high-pressure jobs. You getting paid 250K to coach hoops? That comes with a cost.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I've spoken about rebuilding in various threads over time. I only speak on experience. You have to maintain a hunger to get better. That means examiming everything. I said it early on, we were 0-3 in the portal and feelings were hurt. Stay tuned, more to come on those losses and how pr came into play to cover up those losses.

This piece below tells you what healthy and HUNGRY programs looks like fresh out of the ncaa's.

My comments are not meant to frustrate other BYers, simply grounded in experience from playing and coaching and still tightly connected w/in D1 community. Take a look below.

247 piece:

I’ve gone back, I’ve watched that tape way more than I would like to," said Musselman. "I’ve watched that tape way more than my wife would prefer to have me on once the season’s over. I’m still living on every possession that happened and going back through decision making and substitution patterns and play calls and defensive coverages.

But we played Baylor really tough. We really did. I know we lost the game and they beat us clearly, but one shot goes down or one player gets hot, you never know what could happen. We lost the game to a better team."

Moving forward, the challenge becomes determining and executing what needs to be done to elevate the Razorbacks just one more notch. The portal splashes with additions the likes of Stanley Umude, Au'Diese Toney and Chris Lykes show the commitment to versatility, athleticism, quickness and playmaking. The sting of the loss has also served as motivation for the returners.....
The message and motivation for this team now is doing better than what we did last year," said forward Jaylin Williams. "We don’t want to be walking off the court while they’re over there celebrating with their hats on and running and jumping around.

This, coming from the team who played Baylor the best in the tournament. Meanwhile, our guys are with KO in Miami sipping on pina coladas, high fiving about making it to the tournament. You gotta cut fat and maintain a streamline focus IF you want to win consistently. Fortunately or not, it always starts and stops with the coach.

We want this, not winning by retainment bullish.

So whatever it takes DH do your thing. Give me 2018 DH which took URI on that tourney run. Give me that guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So DH is pissed somebody took some time off...……………………………..
I guess he doesn't consider talking to the transfer hopefuls as part of his job anymore or let's blame others that no one has decided as UConn a place to hang their court.
The more you hear him talk or you hear comments about his thoughts/actions you sometimes have to wonder.

Reaction Score
I've spoken about rebuilding in various threads over time. I only speak on experience. You have to maintain a hunger to get better. That means examiming everything. I said it early on, we were 0-3 in the portal and feelings were hurt. Stay tuned, more to come on those losses and how pr came into play to cover up those losses.

This piece below tells you what healthy and HUNGRY programs looks like fresh out of the ncaa's.

My comments are not meant to frustrate other BYers, simply grounded in experience from playing and coaching and still tightly connected w/in D1 community. Take a look below.

247 piece:

I’ve gone back, I’ve watched that tape way more than I would like to," said Musselman. "I’ve watched that tape way more than my wife would prefer to have me on once the season’s over. I’m still living on every possession that happened and going back through decision making and substitution patterns and play calls and defensive coverages.

But we played Baylor really tough. We really did. I know we lost the game and they beat us clearly, but one shot goes down or one player gets hot, you never know what could happen. We lost the game to a better team."

Moving forward, the challenge becomes determining and executing what needs to be done to elevate the Razorbacks just one more notch. The portal splashes with additions the likes of Stanley Umude, Au'Diese Toney and Chris Lykes show the commitment to versatility, athleticism, quickness and playmaking. The sting of the loss has also served as motivation for the returners.....
The message and motivation for this team now is doing better than what we did last year," said forward Jaylin Williams. "We don’t want to be walking off the court while they’re over there celebrating with their hats on and running and jumping around.

This, coming from the team who played Baylor the best in the tournament. Meanwhile, our guys are with KO in Miami sipping on pina coladas, high fiving about making it to the tournament. You gotta cut fat and maintain a streamline focus IF you want to win consistently. Fortunately or not, it always starts and stops with the coach.

So whatever it takes DH do your thing. Give me 2018 DH which took URI on that tourney run. Give me that guy.
Great post. Inexcusable we can’t find a dynamic shot creator/scorer. It’s our missing piece. Lazy!!! Not like we’ve been used to w this staff.

Reaction Score

247 piece:

I'm going to take this with a kinda sorta open mind, but know that Musselman lives and dies in the portal. Transfers are how he chooses to stock his roster.

Reaction Score
I told y'all. All has not been well within. The quote below suggests DH is refusing to indulge in slacking off when there is work to be done.

S.Guys statement: The return of Polley, a shooting wing, should help. But his pending return wasn’t known in the days after the season ended. With hot attention on the transfer portal, Hurley, according to those multiple sources, wasn’t thrilled with his staff.

Kudos DH, now lets see if you can bring in arse kickers to make up for the lost time of others and start winning on threcruiting trail again. We all should know by now, you sleep, you weep.
To be fair to Hurley, he pretty much pushed Freeman out the door for not focusing enough on recruiting. That guy is on 24/7 and he recruited probably two of the top 30 transfers that would’ve been on the market with Whaley and Polley. I wish he was more aggressive too and I think he will take one more guy.

Reaction Score
So DH is pissed somebody took some time off...……………………………..
I guess he doesn't consider talking to the transfer hopefuls as part of his job anymore or let's blame others that no one has decided as UConn a place to hang their court.
The more you hear him talk or you hear comments about his thoughts/actions you sometimes have to wonder.
You don't know what he does or doesn't do in regards to talking to transfers. He also hasn't commented about Freeman yet. All we have as far as "comments" is Jacobs stirring the pot with assumptions, "possible" scenarios, suppositions, etc... None of us know exactly how this went down. The same people that might complain about him being too hard on his assistants are probably the first ones to throw a hissy fit every time we lose a game. If some fans demand the highest excellence of the coach and the team/players, don't be surprised if the coach expects the same from his assistants.

Reaction Score
I had half jokingly said in another thread with all these players going in the transfer portal, there must have been a whole crapload of videos they needed to review to see the best fit. Seeing that we haven't landed anyone probably got DH upset.

@olehead had stated before that one of the problems of the previous regime was the lack of recruiting towards the end of KO's tenure. The BY blasted KO about recruiting (as well as other issues) but we have guys here that brought up work life balance? What gives? DH hasn't won anything yet while KO has a championship under his belt. <== Bad comparison

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had half jokingly said in another thread with all these players going in the transfer portal, there must have been a whole crapload of videos they needed to review to see the best fit. Seeing that we haven't landed anyone probably got DH upset.

@olehead had stated before that one of the problems of the previous regime was the lack of recruiting towards the end of KO's tenure. The BY blasted KO about recruiting (as well as other issues) but we have guys here that brought up work life balance? What gives? DH hasn't won anything yet while KO has a championship under his belt.
Seems to me that the Hurley honeymoon has ended

Reaction Score

@olehead had stated before that one of the problems of the previous regime was the lack of recruiting towards the end of KO's tenure. The BY blasted KO about recruiting (as well as other issues) but we have guys here that brought up work life balance? What gives? DH hasn't won anything yet while KO has a championship under his belt.

We have a top ten class or so that hasn't made it to campus yet. We've increased the number of top 60 players being brought in from two a year to three a year. Intensity and high goals are great. Stupidity is not. Judging recruiting success in chunks of less than one full annual cycle is just stupid. Recruiting isn't like competing in a sport. You can do everything right, and better than your opponent, and still lose BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL COME HERE.

Reaction Score
We have a top ten class or so that hasn't made it to campus yet. We've increased the number of top 60 players being brought in from two a year to three a year. Intensity and high goals are great. Stupidity is not. Judging recruiting success in chunks of less than one full annual cycle is just stupid. Recruiting isn't like competing in a sport. You can do everything right, and better than your opponent, and still lose BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MAKE ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL COME HERE.

I'm glad with this years class. Not intending to put down the staff but just a guess on the reason behind the KF move.

Surely you can't make anyone come here. Why spend so much time recruiting in the first place then? It's not an exact science but putting effort into recruiting does not hurt your cause. How many recruits have committed somewhere because the hard work a coaching staff puts into a recruit? You routinely see things like "They have been recruiting me from the beginning ..." On the flipside, how many recruits have crossed a school off the list because of the lack of communication towards a recruit. You are right, you can't make anyone come here but we should be putting the necessary time needed to get a recruit.

Reaction Score
I'm glad with this years class. Not intending to put down the staff but just a guess on the reason behind the KF move.
Surely you can't make anyone come here. Why spend so much time recruiting in the first place then? It's not an exact science but putting effort into recruiting does not hurt your cause. How many recruits have committed somewhere because the hard work a coaching staff puts into a recruit? You routinely see things like "They have been recruiting me from the beginning ..." On the flipside, how many recruits have crossed a school off the list because of the lack of communication towards a recruit. You are right, you can't make anyone come here but we should be putting the necessary time needed to get a recruit.
I guess I'm just struggling to see what the criticism of Hurley is here. He did too good of a job recruiting freshman in the fall and our own players to stay? Because that seems the opposite of a lazy coach that we aren't scrambling to fill spots in the spring

Reaction Score
I guess I'm just struggling to see what the criticism of Hurley is here. He did too good of a job recruiting freshman in the fall and our own players to stay? Because that seems the opposite of a lazy coach that we aren't scrambling to fill spots in the spring

Definitely not a critic of Hurley and didn't intend to criticize him. If KF wasn't doing his job, kudo's to DH. I was being more critical of KF that forced Hurley's hand to push him out the door.

Reaction Score
Not a critic of Hurley. More critical of KF that forced Hurley's hand to push KF out the door.
I can see where that's coming from, even though it's completely unfounded speculation. But you specifically compared Hurley to KO's laziness in recruiting at the end

Reaction Score
I can see where that's coming from, even though it's completely unfounded speculation. But you specifically compared Hurley to KO's laziness in recruiting at the end

It is speculation but I did a lazy comparison. That's on me. Didn't intend to criticize Hurley at all. I love the guy.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

@olehead had stated before that one of the problems of the previous regime was the lack of recruiting towards the end of KO's tenure. The BY blasted KO about recruiting (as well as other issues) but we have guys here that brought up work life balance? What gives? DH hasn't won anything yet while KO has a championship under his belt. <== Bad comparison
There are plenty here, bizlawyer, others, x male dominant types who refuse to listen to the point b/c of the poster and bend over backwards contradicting themselves.

Does not matter. I was way out on front pushing for us to leave the AAC with same detractors, some have moved exclusively to the football side of things since.

What does matter is the info I have, and the background. I have a cousin who is an asst coach at a program of which we are intimately familiar. I admit, we talk basketball, programs and UConn.

So, what little whispers you are hearing about misses, assume there's something more than pure winging it. Also, know Hurley is pissed. Hate the post, poster, handle, does not matter. He missed, er his assistants missed. We move on focused on chips.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Something funky here biz. Smells like red herring. My point is do not become complacent. Second, do not say the portal is a mess, not transfer portal U, all the meanwhile everyone and their mother knows what we need and who we were shooting for in the portal.

I did not mention the incoming recruiting class for a reason. You don't place scoring expectations on freshman @biz. But you throw your temper tantrum and misconstrue my points. I'll listen, correct and reiterate my original points.

Peace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom