Free throws killed Uconn | The Boneyard

Free throws killed Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A team that was pretty much a certainty in ft's last year, 9-18 this game... vs wvu including boatright missing 4.

Reaction Score
WVU wasn't much better until late in the game. At one point they had combined to miss 12 of 30 or some such number.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Shows that we don't have the mental capacity as a team to deal with being down the whole game. Something we had mastered basically all last year.

Reaction Score
Shows that we don't have the mental capacity as a team to deal with being down the whole game. Something we had mastered basically all last year.

I love these sweeping generalizations. Bad night from the line? Proof positive that this team lacks mental capacity. Everybody shot poorly from the line all tournament long, and the overall three-point shooting was historically bad.

Reaction Score
boat sets the tone. if he's knocking them all down, guys will focus and make them. if boat is missing, the floodgates will open. i think that's what we saw.

we've been lucky over the years in that we haven't witnessed many uconn games that don't come down to the last possession when uconn is trailing by ~10 in the second half. JC and KO teams fight to stay in games and make comebacks, but last night the legs were taken out by the inability to make FTs. 4 more makes and the 6 point deficit they cut it to is now 2 points. as poorly as they played, it should have been a nail biter.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn (under JC) had such a good free throw shooting team as last year's. They were just money at the line and part of the reason for marching thru the tournament.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Not just free throws, but overall shooting. We can't finish 3-17 from 3 and expect to compete against any team. We missed a few bunnies up close too. FTs killed us, yes but 19 TOs hurt more.

It's somewhat encouraging that we were somewhat even within striking distance of the game yesterday, IMO. I felt like we were just 1 run away from making it an even contest, but the run never came.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The game sucked. Horrible from the line. Horrible from three point range. Pretty bad finishing around the rim, except on dunks. Terrible press break. Lots of bad passes, giveaways and Boat got stripped from behind at least twice. Crumple it up and toss it in the can. They will learn from it and move on. No generalizations about the team or season can come from that game.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Typical announcer stupidity. I hear one of the guys comment on how poorly WVU was shooting from the line going 6-12 and that it was hindering their play (not a quote, but I can't recall how he worded it). When they pop up the graphic, UCONN is even worse at 5-12. That's pretty much a wash.

Reaction Score
The drill is in place I'm sure, so we will likely see the FT improve as we go on.

Reaction Score
Free throws to me weren't the big problem. Even if we made them, wvu would have revved up the ball pressure much higher.

Turnovers and panicky play killed us. We succumbed to the pressure early and couldn't make up for it. Facey and DHam looked out of synch, and Purvis seemed to not want to touch the ball (bringing it up court). Some of our passes looked to be 'high up' in the air for mores than 3 seconds. T-Sam looked confused. wvu played like our smitty, deron, tate, scotty team of old. Our newbies were overwhelmed. I have a feeling Ollie knows how to fix it.

We could of won, but probably shouldn't have won, if that makes sense.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Free throws misses are tricky to count. You have to take in consideration the misses on the front end of a one and one. Boat missed at least one of those. That is an absolute killer as you are leaving two points on the floor. Do that twice a half and that is 8 pts. Devastating.
Make no mistake. UConn won the championship from the free throw line.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The free throws were a problem last night, but the offense has been a problem in all four games.

Statistically, this offense is a train wreck.

Reaction Score
We knew that shooting was shaping up to be a problem, losing 3 guys that were ++ 3 point shooters. Hamilton will fill DD's talent and accuracy but Boat while he can hit the 3, his game is inside the line. If Omar comes back to what his promise was, that could be our answer but KO as good as he is as a coach can't invent shooters, he has to find another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom