Free agent Kemba | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Free agent Kemba

pj

Reaction Score
What if his choice is to take less than the supermax to stay in Charlotte, where he is apparently very happy, or getting the supermax from another non-contending team like the Knicks?

As a Knicks fan, I am torn. I would love to have Kemba on "my" team, but I have a hard time believing that the team will ever be truly in contention as long as Dolan is the owner, and I would hate to see Kemba have to bear the burden of being yet another star who came to the Knicks with high hopes that were ultimately unfulfilled.

"A supermax deal ... can only be offered by the team that drafted him or traded for his rookie contract." (Explained: What is an NBA supermax contract and how does it work?) Only Charlotte can offer Kemba a supermax deal. Other teams can only offer him a max deal.

Reaction Score
Please leave the Hornets they have shown time and time again they cant build a team around him. If he stays with the Hornets it will only hurt his legacy as a player not making/barely making the playoffs every year. Teams arent loyal to players no need to be loyal to a team

Reaction Score
Please leave the Hornets they have shown time and time again they cant build a team around him. If he stays with the Hornets it will only hurt his legacy as a player not making/barely making the playoffs every year. Teams arent loyal to players no need to be loyal to a team
The greatest pro basketball player for North Carolina's pro franchise would be a UConn player. Not all hope is lost.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get the feeling Kemba's keeping his options open. "Sure, why not" doesn't sound iron-clad to me.

Reaction Score
Id like to see him go to the Knicks and put him next to RJ and sign Anthony Davis next season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good grief. He should go wherever he will be happy. In every circumstance he will have more money than he, his kids and grandkids can really spend. So it’s irrelevant.

Maybe he wants to win, maybe he loves Charlotte. Neither is more important than the other. I’m surprised more pro athletes in this situation don’t just do what makes them happiest. Obviously some NFL Guard making $1M is in a different situation. But the stars? You get one life. Enjoy it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this. Problem is that he loves winning and also loves Charlotte. What's a guy to do?

Who can afford to pay him that also has a chance to win? How appealing (to him) is that place vs Charlotte? NBA turnarounds happen fast. Toronto was nothing a couple of years ago. A lot of it is draft luck.

Reaction Score
Good grief. He should go wherever he will be happy. In every circumstance he will have more money than he, his kids and grandkids can really spend. So it’s irrelevant.

Maybe he wants to win, maybe he loves Charlotte. Neither is more important than the other. I’m surprised more pro athletes in this situation don’t just do what makes them happiest. Obviously some NFL Guard making $1M is in a different situation. But the stars? You get one life. Enjoy it.
There is nothing irrelevant about 50 million dollars.

Reaction Score
In the large scale view of things, Kembas last contract was a huge bargain and Charlotte couldn’t put a team around him. I have trouble seeing them beig capable of doing it when he’s on a max or near max

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He is either lying or stupid, and we know he ain't stupid.

It is the nice thing to say. If they could get another top tier free agent to join him, he probably would stay. But they can't, so it is just a nice thing to say.

Yeah, he's just saying he "would" -- not that he "will." They're not going to attract another star in FA or land one in a trade.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
180-220 million over 5 years if he stays with Charlotte.
If Charlotte offers that. I love Kemba but if he was on my team I wouldn't be happy if they were paying him $40M+ per.

Reaction Score
The greatest pro basketball player for North Carolina's pro franchise would be a UConn player. Not all hope is lost.
I think for most Charlotte fans, Kemba is already the greatest Hornet of all-time and that would not change if he left. He is the franchise's all-time leading scorer, has delivered them some winning years (which is really saying something, considering the teams he has been on) and is utterly without blame for how mediocre the team has been of late.

Top 5 Charlotte Hornets Players of All-Time

They've got Kemba at #1 all time and that's from before this season, which was the best of his career despite an embarrassing lack of any semblance of a second scoring option.

Reaction Score
I would take anything Kemba says to the press with a grain of salt. He has always been non-confrontational and avoided controversy. He is not going to stir the pot and say "I want to sign with team x". He wants to please everyone. That's just who he is.

Reaction Score
Cost of living in Charlotte is low compared to NYC. He could get paid more in Charlotte and save money. I see the appeal, especially if he's comfortable and happy in the city.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb as your number 2 was good enough in college. Now not so much. Getting guys like Dwight Howard and Tony Parker 5 years past their prime ain’t good enough. Doing awful in every draft ain’t good enough (Bridges does have some potential though). The fact he’s gotten whatever random scraps they put with him into a couple playoffs is a miracle. I got he loves the team but they don’t deserve him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom