Free agent Kemba | The Boneyard

Free agent Kemba

Reaction Score

Is there a better, more team oriented guy, that we want representing us at the next level? I think not. This is the type of guy you want on your team. I respect this a lot; however, I really doubt he can win in Charlotte within the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of TB12 taking salary cuts to make his team better. Really admirable, although Brady's wife has a approx. 400M net worth?. I did once see a scenario of him going to the Mavs. I think him, Luka and Porzingod could be a fun team. Really interested to see where this goes.

Reaction Score
ugh, come on Kemba... either get paid or have a chance to compete for a ring

He'll get paid max+. Full super max is debilitating to a team, especially to a team that is already pretty bad, and Kemba knows it.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
View attachment 43850
Is there a better, more team oriented guy, that we want representing us at the next level? I think not. This is the type of guy you want on your team. I respect this a lot; however, I really doubt he can win in Charlotte within the next 3 years.
That's nice and all but Kemba is too good for them. They've completely failed in surrounding him with any talent over the years and he shouldn't be rewarding them by taking a pay cut. He should either take the supermax and stay or go to a contending organization.

Reaction Score
That's nice and all but Kemba is too good for them. They've completely failed in surrounding him with any talent over the years and he shouldn't be rewarding them by taking a pay cut. He should either take the supermax and stay or go to a contending organization.
My point is that his intentions are great and that speaks to the type of guy he is and type of player you want on your team...but I don't want him to stay in Charlotte for less because it's just wasting his career to put it bluntly.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think he signs a max deal with Charlotte that gives him a players option in a couple years and the team some flexibility to rework his contract if need be to bring in more talent; if they aren’t able to build around him by the time he’s 32-33 he’s gone. If Jordan felt like Kemba was gone he would have traded him.

Reaction Score
View attachment 43850
It's so dumb that the bonus money from a supermax counts against the given team's cap. How the hell did that get passed in the last CBA? Huge oversight by the players' union.

Seems like something the league should just get in front of and change. Instead of getting rid of the term "owner", how about passing a rule that may actually give to the players instead of keeping money with the owners?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys think Kemba's not looking to get paid. Charlotte can give him anything between max and supermax and it would still be more pay than Kemba can get anywhere else. If they only offer him the max, which other teams will also offer, Kemba will leave. So Charlotte has to pay up to keep him. Kemba is just saying they don't have to pay the maximum possible, only more than he can get elsewhere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Kemba stop being an angel and be selfish for once
What if his choice is to take less than the supermax to stay in Charlotte, where he is apparently very happy, or getting the supermax from another non-contending team like the Knicks?

As a Knicks fan, I am torn. I would love to have Kemba on "my" team, but I have a hard time believing that the team will ever be truly in contention as long as Dolan is the owner, and I would hate to see Kemba have to bear the burden of being yet another star who came to the Knicks with high hopes that were ultimately unfulfilled.

Reaction Score
This is nice, but of just about every all-NBA level players out there, Kemba has earned the most right to be “selfish” in free agency. It’s nice that he loves Charlotte, but you’ve handed the prime of your career over to MJ and he has repeatedly failed you at every possible turn. You owe it to yourself to get out and do what’s best for you; which is clearly not Charlotte. You’ve done plenty for and are already beloved there; bigger and better stages await.

Reaction Score
He is either lying or stupid, and we know he ain't stupid.

It is the nice thing to say. If they could get another top tier free agent to join him, he probably would stay. But they can't, so it is just a nice thing to say.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I don't know why you guys think Kemba's not looking to get paid. Charlotte can give him anything between max and supermax and it would still be more pay than Kemba can get anywhere else. If they only offer him the max, which other teams will also offer, Kemba will leave. So Charlotte has to pay up to keep him. Kemba is just saying they don't have to pay the maximum possible, only more than he can get elsewhere.
If he gives them another team friendly contract and they use the money to overpay mediocre players again I’m gonna be pissed for him.

Reaction Score
What if his choice is to take less than the supermax to stay in Charlotte, where he is apparently very happy, or getting the supermax from another non-contending team like the Knicks?

As a Knicks fan, I am torn. I would love to have Kemba on "my" team, but I have a hard time believing that the team will ever be truly in contention as long as Dolan is the owner, and I would hate to see Kemba have to bear the burden of being yet another star who came to the Knicks with high hopes that were ultimately unfulfilled.
The only thing I would advise against is taking less money to stay in Charlotte. He needs to be selfish, don't give them a discount.

Reaction Score
I’m not believing anything anyone says close to the draft and free agency. Kemba could agree to take $1,000 less than the Supermax for all we know. I do believe he loves living in Charlotte though, and has made very strong ties down there outside of basketball.

Does anyone know if he still has the same agent that got him the last deal, which turned out to make him the most underpaid guy in the league? I know because of the timing and the fact that it was before Kemba’s drastic improvement, that the agent doesn’t deserve all the blame, but it would be interesting to know if Kemba kept him around or not.

Reaction Score
If he gives them another team friendly contract and they use the money to overpay mediocre players again I’m gonna be pissed for him.
I think the order of operations is important here. His statement doesn't mean he isn't going to go after supermax, but he left the option open. I don't think he would take it unless he knew who he was opening up salary for. So if they can draw a big name or names, and let him know who they are bringing on that opens the dialogue on taking less. I doubt he would take a cut with the hopes they get a good player or overpay mediocre players.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think the order of operations is important here. His statement doesn't mean he isn't going to go after supermax, but he left the option open. I don't think he would take it unless he knew who he was opening up salary for. So if they can draw a big name or names, and let him know who they are bringing on that opens the dialogue on taking less. I doubt he would take a cut with the hopes they get a good player or overpay mediocre players.
I hope that his relationship with Jordan is to the point where he’s somewhat involved with team personnel decisions and he can take a max one year then restructure it the next if they need the room to land someone like Lebrons deals he had with Miami and Cleveland. I wonder if there’s even like a gentleman’s agreement for a future shoe deal or a piece of the team or something. The money he would be giving up would be a pittance compared to how much money he can make with Jordan later in life now that he’s so attached to the hornets brand.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kemba taking less money than the Supermax in Free Agency will not mean more cap flexibility for the Hornets any time soon unfortunately. If Kemba wants to stay, I can respect that, but that team will not be significantly better off talent-wise for a while.

Reaction Score
Also, don't know how Kemba can watch the Finals and not be absolutely furious his team screwed up trading for Marc Gasol. Well-connected NBA guys were reporting that like it was pretty much a done-deal and then Charlotte let it slip away. Gasol took that Raptors team to the next level and meanwhile the Hornets missed the playoffs by a couple games. He would have been under contract for next season too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom