Frank Beamer | The Boneyard

Frank Beamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FB has a very successful head coach but his early days at Virginia Tech were less than ordinary. His records his first five years were....
2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
2-8-1

His break out year of 9-3 came in his sixth year (1993) and he won double digit games in 13 of the next 17 seasons. It took a lot of confidence in him to hold him through those 5 early years.

Just putting it out there. Not sure I could take it with going insane. sdhusky probably thinks this post is about Boyle.

Reaction Score
You cannot blame sdhusky if everytime he sees a duck he expects it to quack.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
FB has a very successful head coach but his early days at Virginia Tech were less than ordinary. His records his first five years were....
2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
2-8-1

His break out year of 9-3 came in his sixth year (1993) and he won double digit games in 13 of the next 17 seasons. It took a lot of confidence in him to hold him through those 5 early years.

Just putting it out there. Not sure I could take it with going insane. sdhusky probably thinks this post is about Boyle.

Bill Snyder started off
1-10
5-6
7-5
5-6

Briles won 3 conference games in his first 2 year.

At SU, Coach Mac went
4-6, 2-9, 6-5, 6-5, 7-5, 5-6 before going 11-0-1

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The problem is, no member of our fan base has patience for this. There are already a small number of people on this board calling for Diaco's head after this season, and I can only see that number growing.
You say that they don't have patience but go 6-6 next season playing young kids and there will be a buzz. And not just during the tailgate.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You say that they don't have patience but go 6-6 next season playing young kids and there will be a buzz. And not just during the tailgate.

He won't even get the chance to finish 6-6 if people are calling for his head after Nova/Army. That's how thin the rope has been stretched with the BY faithful. Also, 6-6 doesn't 100% guarantee a bowl berth, which is the tipping point for others.

Reaction Score
During Beamer's first four years at VT, VT was an independent. They were in the Big East in year 5. Beamer and VT took advantage of joing the Big East and developed into a football power. If VT didn't get the BE nod, who knows if we would have heard of Beamer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm as guilty as anyone in terms of prematurely jumping off the Diaco bandwagon, but the last time a guy had to replace Coach P, he went 1-10 in the following season.

Maybe we're overachieving!

Hopefully, we get back on our feet quickly and that Diaco proves to be more Doug Marrone than Greg Robinson.

Reaction Score
The problem is, no member of our fan base has patience for this. There are already a small number of people on this board calling for Diaco's head after this season, and I can only see that number growing.

I do. We need continuity for first time this decade. Get it going bob!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's a good point. Every coach that starts off as a train wreck eventually turns it around. Every single one.

Reaction Score
If those records were posted by a coach in 2014 he would be most likely canned. People care about winning in the here and now.

Plus even if Diaco wins, the years of coaches staying 20+ years at one school like Bowden, Beamer, Paterno, Nehlen, and Snyder are over. Someone in the top tier of schools will always have more money to offer

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can't just go by the record. JC had a rough start, but you could tell he was a good coach. BD looked like he was in over his head.

Reaction Score
2-9
3-8
6-4-1
6-5
2-8-1

VT joined the Big East in 1991 - probably the catalyst for Beamer's success. Being in the American not so much. Now if we get a P5 invite...

Reaction Score
You can't just go by the record. JC had a rough start, but you could tell he was a good coach. BD looked like he was in over his head.
That's true. But he's so hard to judge because he is so...bizarre. That could be good or bad.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
George O'Leary - 1st year at UCF 0-11, year 2, 8-5. Must have been a MESS when you go 0-11 but boy he cleaned that up quickly...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am putting most of my hope for a turnaround into off season conditioning.

We hung with Boise and BYU physically, except a few guys who are too slow, but had no concept of assignments or technique.

Through the middle of the season the technique improved, the speed did not, and we played even with ECU and UCF.

After that, I think the attrition set in. Still no excuse for the Army or SMU losses, but it jives with a team that got a lot worse in its last few games.

Everyone needs to get a lot better than they were on Dec 6th and we need a few changes in personnel and approach by the staff.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:

I think this is the concern. I could absolutely deal with a 2 win season if we could see progress and development throughout the year. We actually regressed as the year went on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's true. But he's so hard to judge because he is so...bizarre. That could be good or bad.

That's true and funny. I have to hope he's "good" bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom