Francessa riveting radio; killing Paterno | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Francessa riveting radio; killing Paterno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You've mentioned this several times -- that you doubt that protecting the PSU football program or the university figured into the decisions made by PSU staff in 2002. In reality, it was the only plausible motivation, which is what makes it unforgivable. Supporting your assumption by citing the slow media reaction after the fact is a logical fallacy.
Isn't a plausible motivation the personal relationship between Paterno and Sandusky? Its conceivable that Sandusky had convinced the old man that he was innocent, maybe partially because its what Paterno wanted to believe of someone that he worked successfully with for so many years. I think anyone would hope not to believe this is true of a friend and/or give a successful co-worker the benefit of the doubt. The only time that breaks down for me is when considering Sandusky's dismissal from the program and my ASSUMPTION that Sandusky's alleged deviant behavior was related to this.

But even if Paterno (on ascending scale of bad) believed in spite of evidence, ignored or protected Sandusky's it remains possible that he simply did this out of personal feelings. If this is the case its certainly arguable that Paterno allowed his professional concerns to prejudice his actions, but its slightly less nefarious versus an outright coverup. After all, if he truly believed Sandusky did these terrible things, was guilty and continued to give the guy access isn't that a far greater risk to both his program, job and legacy?!

Maybe Paterno thought he could get away with sweeping one or two incidents under the rug. But at that point if Paterno's motivation is solely to protect his position and program, wouldn't he tell Sandusky he just got the greatest get out of jail free gift ever, he must leave town, never come to PState again etc etc.. For this reason I think its more grave errors of omission, Paterno fooling himself into thinking its mistakes by an otherwise competent friend/person, thinking stern admonishment will correct the problem and incompetently believing in a friend.

Reaction Score
Upstater just curious to know what your connection to PSU is?

The fact I have a PSU grad degree is only incidental to my being a PSU fan. I grew up in Connecticut in the 70s and 80s as a UConn basketball fan and PSU football fan. The fact that I'm now a fan of PSu was not greatly impacted by actually living in State College for 3 years. It has more to do with childhood allegiances, same reason I'm a UConn fan though never attended the school.

I went to Boston U. undergrad and did one of my grad degrees at PSU. While at PSU, I taught a required undergrad course each year and had 2 or 3 football players (and other athletes) each semester, so I became more or less familiar with how they operate their academic support for football (since I was filling reports and communicating with the support staff).

That's about it. The only time I can remember NOT watching much PSU football was during my 4 years of undergrad and 3 years at PSU because I was often away playing club sports on Fall weekends. I saw maybe 3 or 4 games during my stay in State College.

Reaction Score
Isn't a plausible motivation the personal relationship between Paterno and Sandusky? Its conceivable that Sandusky had convinced the old man that he was innocent, maybe partially because its what Paterno wanted to believe of someone that he worked successfully with for so many years. I think anyone would hope not to believe this is true of a friend and/or give a successful co-worker the benefit of the doubt. The only time that breaks down for me is when considering Sandusky's dismissal from the program and my ASSUMPTION that Sandusky's alleged deviant behavior was related to this.

But even if Paterno (on ascending scale of bad) believed in spite of evidence, ignored or protected Sandusky's it remains possible that he simply did this out of personal feelings. If this is the case its certainly arguable that Paterno allowed his professional concerns to prejudice his actions, but its slightly less nefarious versus an outright coverup. After all, if he truly believed Sandusky did these terrible things, was guilty and continued to give the guy access isn't that a far greater risk to both his program, job and legacy?!

Maybe Paterno thought he could get away with sweeping one or two incidents under the rug. But at that point if Paterno's motivation is solely to protect his position and program, wouldn't he tell Sandusky he just got the greatest get out of jail free gift ever, he must leave town, never come to PState again etc etc.. For this reason I think its more grave errors of omission, Paterno fooling himself into thinking its mistakes by an otherwise competent friend/person, thinking stern admonishment will correct the problem and incompetently believing in a friend.

I searched my academic database this morning and saw articles on Sandusky being caught with the 2008 kid at the high school football game. The articles were form 2010. DEADSPIN in fact made a joke out of it in an article referencing Sandusky's book TOUCHED. As recently as April of this year there were articles such as this one:
April 3, 2011 Sunday

High-profile Sandusky case could have positive outcomes, some say

BYLINE: Bill Landauer, York Daily Record, Pa.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Let's be fair here. What we have seen at other places and what have been alleged to have gone on at other places such as Miami or Auburn are not crimes. No one is going to jail over any of that stuff, other than Shapiro of course, but that is for actual crimes related to his ponzi scheme. This situation at Penn State is a crime, a heinous one and really shouldn't even be discussed with NCAA violations in my opinion.

This is just so far beyond any of that, and to even mention it in the same sentence as these other "scandals" is almost a disservice to the victims in my opinion.
It is apples and oranges when it comes to the severity of the crime. In no way am I comparing the crimes.

It is apples and apples when it comes to the cultural environment surrounding high profile programs and how the universities cover up improprieties to protect their reputations.

I hope this problem, or anything as severe a problem as this, would never occurs at an institution again. Or if something of this nature occurs, there would be no attempt to cover it up. But the track record regarding reputation vs. taking the moral high ground does not look good.

Reaction Score
I think Paterno's letter of resignation is good. I think his retiring at the end of the season is appropriate. To dismiss him with one month to go would be largely symbolic and ultimately do more harm than good - it'd just be a lot of chaos. For the current team and its players having him continue makes more sense.

In terms of a bowl game down the road I think then its dicey. That's a celebration and reward. Not a thing the current players or team did so they should do what their play on the field merits, but my gut says Paterno shouldn't be a part of that.

Outside of football, the good of him staying on is actually the story will stay more in the news and hopefully that creates dialogue or even investigations that addresses the heart of the problem and helps assemble the facts. Of course if facts get worse in terms of Paterno's involvement my opinion and the entire situation can change.

Reaction Score
I think Paterno's letter of resignation is good. I think his retiring at the end of the season is appropriate. To dismiss him with one month to go would be largely symbolic and ultimately do more harm than good - it'd just be a lot of chaos. For the current team and its players having him continue makes more sense.

In terms of a bowl game down the road I think then its dicey. That's a celebration and reward. Not a thing the current players or team did so they should do what their play on the field merits, but my gut says Paterno shouldn't be a part of that.

Outside of football, the good of him staying on is actually the story will stay more in the news and hopefully that creates dialogue or even investigations that addresses the heart of the problem and helps assemble the facts. Of course if facts get worse in terms of Paterno's involvement my opinion and the entire situation can change.

Not that this kind of stuff matters in light of what happened, but I can't see anyone other than the current coaches continuing on at PSU on an interim basis. No resident, no AD, a bunch of people who got sold out by people they trusted. There is absolutely no basis for PSU hiring anyone to take this position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom