Francesa calls Calhoun the most underrated Greatest coach of all time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Francesa calls Calhoun the most underrated Greatest coach of all time

Reaction Score
Uncle Mikey has the best takes in sports, hopefully he lands somewhere else in where we can listen to him often or at least once a week.

WFAN is in big trouble, especially if the reports are right & they are bringing in BART SCOTT to replace him, that’s embarrassing..

Best in the business...

- Uncle Mikey
- Colin Cowherd
- Mad Dog Russo (more so because of his personality)

I cant believe Bart Scott would ever be the guy, at least I hope not.

Evan Roberts has my vote to replace Big Mike. Need a NY sports fan in that roll I think.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Will always love HC Jim C - a guy who accomplished so much from very little and knew how to exploit a good situation
Will always despise Francesca - guy who has nothing to crow about but can't fit his head thru wide open French doors - only he could make Mad Dog look like a genius at times

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
While I appreciate his sentiments, his grammar is abominable.
I remember him reciting a retrospective on sports in the 20th century, or something along those lines, in which he called the "Thriller in Manila" "...the penultimate sporting event of the 70s,"
I never expected him to say anything remotely intelligent after that.

Reaction Score

Evan Roberts has my vote to replace Big Mike. Need a NY sports fan in that roll I think.

I would stop listening all together if Evan/ Joe took over

Reaction Score

Evan knows his stuff but he lacks the personality to be "the guy" in the afternoon drive slot. I'd be okay with him as the sidekick if they found a powerful guy to be the lead on the show.

Reaction Score
Evan knows his stuff but he lacks the personality to be "the guy" in the afternoon drive slot. I'd be okay with him as the sidekick if they found a powerful guy to be the lead on the show.
Evan takes are miserable & lame, very boring & has no backbone.

Very ordinary with interviews as well.

He needs to stay where he is.

Reaction Score
Evan takes are miserable & lame, very boring & has no backbone.

Very ordinary with interviews as well.

He needs to stay where he is.

I can understand not being excited with Evan. But compared to some of the others mentioned he doesn't seem so bad.

images

Reaction Score
What Coach Calhoun did at UCONN is amazing.

But how anyone is a fan of Mike Francesca is beyond me.

Reaction Score
I remember in the 90's when some people argued we needed a coach who can win the big one, and I would laugh thinking the only reason those people are UCONN fans today is because of Jim Calhoun's success
Those people were idiots! I spent the first 9 years being a husky fan coming up short in march but i never for a second though JC should go anywhere. I was fully convinced that sooner or later we`d break through and at least get to the final four. when we did and won it against an all time great duke team that people were already crowning it couldnt have been more special. To win 3 more national titles is still unbelievable to me.

Reaction Score
Saying what he said on JC is really a no brainer. You could easily compare his resume with any coach, in any sport of all time, with all aspects considered......from family, to sports, to benefits and foundations, to speaking, to respect and loyalty....his message was always listen to me.....I know what it takes.
The ones who listened, good things happened....and they did in volumes.

I like Mike except for his lack of respect for Brady which is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Uncle Mikey has the best takes in sports, hopefully he lands somewhere else in where we can listen to him often or at least once a week.

WFAN is in big trouble, especially if the reports are right & they are bringing in BART SCOTT to replace him, that’s embarrassing..

Best in the business...

- Uncle Mikey
- Colin Cowherd
- Mad Dog Russo (more so because of his personality)

What, Bart Scott - PLEASEEEEEEE SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Reaction Score
Francessa was barely tolerable when he had the Dog by his side. Now granted, a lot of morons call in, but he kisses the boots of his experts and has nothing but disdain for the callers for the most part. His favorite technique is to win every discussion by just dropping the caller and then making his final winning argument. Bingo! Calhoun and Francessa both are as stubborn as the day is long so they naturally clashed over the years with Francessa finally coming over to his side once he became a coaching legend with multiple championships. We all know that Jim Calhoun made more with less than any coach alive so The Pope blessing him really goes out on a limb. Sports radio is a desert in Ny and our area and I hope they find someone entertaining and knowledgeable for that slot. In order for it to be interesting there has to be some back and forth and heat, but I hope they find someone who’s not a dismissive jerk.

Reaction Score
Those people were idiots! I spent the first 9 years being a husky fan coming up short in march but i never for a second though JC should go anywhere. I was fully convinced that sooner or later we`d break through and at least get to the final four. when we did and won it against an all time great duke team that people were already crowning it couldnt have been more special. To win 3 more national titles is still unbelievable to me.
And don't forget the Final Four in 2009. And how about the near misses prior to 1999? He certainly had could have had at least a few more final fours: The 1990 Dream team was one shot away; he 1994 Donyell Marshall/FL game. 1995 Elite 8 team that lost to UCLA in CA; the 1996 Ray Allen #1 seed that lost Rickey Moore in the opening round, 1998 Elite 8 that lost to UNC in Greensboro, NC...

Reaction Score
What, Bart Scott - PLEASEEEEEEE SAY IT AIN'T SO!
It is so like I said, I live in Long Island & I am family friends with Uncle Mikey so my intell said this was happening.

Unfortunately the days of the WFAN being NUMBA 1 are numbered.

- Boomer by himself is atrocious
- Joe & Evan are much so a boring listen
- BART Scott, Chris Carlin, & Maggie whoever is def going to be dreadful

Podcasts here I come, hopefully Uncle Mikey turns up somewhere else ASAP.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And how about the near misses prior to 1999?

It's funny how those near misses go from a negative to a positive once you win the big one. One of Mike's criticisms was that Calhoun couldn't make it to the Final Four despite "being a 1st or 2nd seed".

Reaction Score
It is so like I said, I live in Long Island & I am family friends with Uncle Mikey so my intell said this was happening.

Unfortunately the days of the WFAN being NUMBA 1 are numbered.

- Boomer by himself is atrocious
- Joe & Evan are much so a boring listen
- BART Scott, Chris Carlin, & Maggie whoever is def going to be dreadful

Podcasts here I come, hopefully Uncle Mikey turns up somewhere else ASAP.

He's mentioned podcasting before.

Him and Bill Simmons are friends.

Look for a podcast on Channel 33 and/or the Ringer coming soon.

Reaction Score
What Coach Calhoun did at UCONN is amazing.

But how anyone is a fan of Mike Francesca is beyond me.

Depends on where you are in the sports world as a fan, what you like to listen to etc etc.. I like Mike, respect him for his knowledge of things he knows well. Don't like when he craps on callers who don't deserve it but so many are idiots it's hard to call. From ESPN to FAN to all parts of the country there are a lot of unlikable mouths out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom