OT: - Francesa App | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Francesa App

Reaction Score
Hard to believe anyone would even spend $0.99 a month for this. In fact, they would have to pay me at least $99 a month to listen to Francesa for an hour a week.

Reaction Score
App is really good, finally get to watch & listen to whole shows whenever I want, unlike many top radio guys.

He just did a Saturday 1 hour show from his house too, pretty sick.

Love it, agree the price should be $4.99 a month.

Reaction Score
App is really good, finally get to watch & listen to whole shows whenever I want, unlike many top radio guys.

Any betting advice? Itching for inside info

Reaction Score
You couldn't pay me enough money to get me to download and listen to his app

Reaction Score
Didnt Howard Stern try this same sort of thing like 15 years ago?

Reaction Score
I *might* think about this at $8.99 forever (i.e. purchase app, and be done with it)

8.99 / month? Compared to 9.99 for spotify unlimited and pardora premium? It shows how out-of-touch this pricing is...
Yeah but think of all the exclusive interviews you’ll get with Bill Parcells and Freddie Couples.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I'm not interested simply because I stopped listening to sports radio years and years ago.

But if you're a fan of the guy and you like the show, I don't think $9 a month is off the wall.

It's nine lousy dollars.

Reaction Score
I think the idea of this app is not just for more Mike content. I think the goal is to have other people join the network. John Jastremski has signed on to do a Saturday college football show.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not interested simply because I stopped listening to sports radio years and years ago.

But if you're a fan of the guy and you like the show, I don't think $9 a month is off the wall.

It's nine lousy dollars.

But when you can listen to him for free all week, it's kind of overkill to pay $9/month on top of it.

If it was his full M-F show plus extra for $9/month, I would agree with you and probably buy it.

I'm sure that's his end game here, but for now it's superfluous.

Reaction Score
JJ After Dark, beast. Really interested in where this new app goes, if it becomes what Uncle Mikey is saying I am pretty excited.

Reaction Score

It's nine lousy dollars.
Ha. I don’t think it’s the $9 for some people as much as it’s the perceived lack of value compared to other pay apps. As a music fan, I feel like being able to access nearly any song I want at any time for $10 a month through Apple Music is a great value, but the value of this pales by comparison. On the other hand, there are a lot of frugal people out there who hate the idea of having to pay for any app or content. I have a subscription to The Athletic and other sports content that is more than this because I feel like the value supports the price tag.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ha. I don’t think it’s the $9 for some people as much as it’s the perceived lack of value compared to other pay apps. As a music fan, I feel like being able to access nearly any song I want at any time for $10 a month through Apple Music is a great value, but the value of this pales by comparison. On the other hand, there are a lot of frugal people out there who hate the idea of having to pay for any app or content. I have a subscription to The Athletic and other sports content that is more than this because I feel like the value supports the price tag.

I pay for Apple Music, but they also have 50,000,000 other paying customers.

The economy of scale is a little different for the Francesa app - he'll be lucky to have 1,000 subscribers and his barrier to entry is probably fairly high. The app, simulcasting, etc., etc., are not insignificant costs - he might need $9 a month to make it worthwhile. (I suspect there are a limited number of people who will want to subscribe no matter what the cost is - I'm guessing that's what they found out as well when they looked into pricing this deal.)

Reaction Score
And it's just "just $9.00". It's $9.00 for this app. And your Netflix account. Your HBOGo account. Apple Music or Spotify Premium. Your internet and cable package. Maybe Amazon Prime. Adds up.

Reaction Score
And it's just "just $9.00". It's $9.00 for this app. And your Netflix account. Your HBOGo account. Apple Music or Spotify Premium. Your internet and cable package. Maybe Amazon Prime. Adds up.
Carl Banks just practically begged for a slot on the app on the Joeless Joe and Evan show. He thinks there will be a significant content build out. But no thanks.

Reaction Score
I pay for Apple Music, but they also have 50,000,000 other paying customers.

The economy of scale is a little different for the Francesa app - he'll be lucky to have 1,000 subscribers and his barrier to entry is probably fairly high. The app, simulcasting, etc., etc., are not insignificant costs - he might need $9 a month to make it worthwhile. (I suspect there are a limited number of people who will want to subscribe no matter what the cost is - I'm guessing that's what they found out as well when they looked into pricing this deal.)
The fact that it costs more to make isn't relevant to the customer unless it is worth more. When the $9 is comparable to all the music in the world or a Washington Post or NYT subscription I think its pretty clear the comparative value you are getting is lacking.

And we can't compare to subscribing to some boutique very unique interest site as this is obviously a very mainstream audience. Add in the fact that most of the content is also available for free and maybe you do end up with just the obsessed type subscribers and he makes $9 per month x 1000 almost like this is a members only fan club. I hope he at least throws in a t-shirt for committing.

Reaction Score
Jj is cool but yeah gotta draw the line on monthly subscriptions somewhere. I'll revisit his app once it's more established and they offer a free trial.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Dollar Shave Club. Love me some Dollar Shave Club.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People are weird about paying for apps and online content.

My sub to the Athletic expired this week and I was like... eh I’ll see if they blow me away with an offer. Last year it was $20 with a t-shirt, I guess I’d renew for that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There are a few people already signed up to do shows on the app and yes Carl Banks is looking for a full-time gig, but he will be on the Fan every Monday and Friday for an hour talking football. He is very knowledgeable and I enjoy listening to him.

Reaction Score
And not to mention the recurring billing epidemic. When it’s small charges like 14.95 or less, companies bank on people either not noticing it on their bank statement or not deeming it high enough to care. You’re right, 7 or 8 of these can really add up and some are much more difficult to cancel than they should be. I recently canceled my debit card so some things couldn’t keep charging to it. But once I needed to put the new card number on my App Store, the few apps that were through that were able to charge to my card again. I bet consumers pay billions of $ per year on apps they no longer use just due to recurring charges and how hard some are to cancel.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom