FOX | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FOX

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And I'm OK with Andrea Carter picking TN, her alma mater. I've been very impressed with that woman for some time now.

Reaction Score
See, this doesn’t bother me. South Carolina is the reigning national champion, current #1 ranked team, with last year’s national POY. When UConn was in the same position, the coverage was equally gushy over the Huskies to the point Geno actually said he wished sportscasters would talk about someone else.

South Carolina has earned it and will retain their place on the pedestal until someone knocks them off it.

My problem is that Fox has a contract with the conference that UCONN plays in. Had this game been on ESPN and those talking heads did their usual drooling over Dawn and SC, I'd understand since they own the SEC network and that conference makes them a lot of $$$$.

But Fox hit ratings gold for WBB with UCONN and then you get them on vs. the #1 team and boast about SC? It just doesn't sit well with me and I think there should be at least be a little homerism.

And, give me John Fanta and Kim Adams every day. Byington is terrible and Kustok is a tad better than terrible.

Reaction Score
I didn't mind the announcers, though my expectations weren't too high. My biggest gripe was when SC scored just as the shot clock ran out to make the score 10-6, one of the announcers said she thought the shot may have gotten off after the buzzer, as I thought. It was then stated that the refs would review the replay at some point. And that's the last I heard about it. The points never came off the board, so I assumed it was reviewed and determined to count, but the announcers never informed the viewers of the outcome. Unless I missed it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My problem is that Fox has a contract with the conference that UCONN plays in. Had this game been on ESPN and those talking heads did their usual drooling over Dawn and SC, I'd understand since they own the SEC network and that conference makes them a lot of $$$$.

But Fox hit ratings gold for WBB with UCONN and then you get them on vs. the #1 team and boast about SC? It just doesn't sit well with me and I think there should be at least be a little homerism.

And, give me John Fanta and Kim Adams every day. Byington is terrible and Kustok is a tad better than terrible.
Fox isn’t UConn’s public relations shill. South Carolina is #1; they get the hype

Reaction Score
I went to the game, so I did not get a chance to enjoy the banter in real time. But I did rewatch it last night thanks to the excellent and reliable work of @MJL243. I was able to make into the 2nd half, but lost it when Lisa suggested that they “could do a whole show alone on the electrifying kaleidoscope of Irelands dried flatbreads”. Sure would be nice if they focused on the game. if they are going to ask a guest a question- ask about something that the guest has a unique or interesting perspective.

Reaction Score
Lisa Byington is a very talented play by play announcer. But someone should remind her that she is not the statistician, storyteller, or historian. She missed calling so many plays and keeping us informed due to endless rhetoric.

Reaction Score
We would've had to deal with Caroline Peck and Courtney Lyle had the game been on ESPN, which I’d have then had to mute the TV.

I thought Lisa Byington (who I really enjoy on the Big Ten Network) and Sarah Kustok did a pretty good job. No complaints here.
I watched the game on FOX. (muted) .. and listened to the radio broadcast.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Exactly! I guess that FOX was anticipating a South Carolina rout of the depleted Huskies.... Surprise!
I bet Fox was thrilled. People would have tuned out if it had been a blowout. The audience probably stayed until the end which went past 2 hours - time for more commercials!

Reaction Score
I would have appreciated more about the handoff, the most controversial play of the game. They showed one fleeting clip that revealed what looked more like a QB handing off to a running back, while the inbounds ref stood by. They should have analyzed that miss, and why it was not reviewable under the rules . . . something that even had Geno confused during the presser.

I learned my baseball, growing up, listening to Mel Allen on the radio. He not only described the game in colorful detail, but he also taught his listeners the rules and the lore of the game. If a player had just broken a record, he'd go into the record book and talk about the former record holder. If there was a rule invoked -- even as routine as the infield fly rule -- he'd explain it "for those of you who are not familiar with the rules." And he loved talking about the greats of the past. Granted, there's a lot more dead time in baseball broadcasting than there is in basketball play-by-play. But the announcers I grew up with -- Allen, Red Barber, Vin Scully, Bob Wolff, Marty Glickman, Curt Gowdy, even Marv Albert -- brought us all the action while teaching us the game. And Allen, known as "baseball's babbling brook," also did the TV play-by-play of the Rose Bowl on NBC for many years -- "the grand-daddy of all the bowl games," he used to say. Too few broadcasters today are more concerned about the needs of the listeners in following a game. (Glickman was famous for telling his radio audience "The Giants are moving from left to right on your dial.")

Reaction Score
We would've had to deal with Caroline Peck and Courtney Lyle had the game been on ESPN, which I’d have then had to mute the TV.

I thought Lisa Byington (who I really enjoy on the Big Ten Network) and Sarah Kustok did a pretty good job. No complaints here.
Huge fan of Lisa Byington. She does a really great job of calling the games and making key comments throughout the games. One of my favorites. Sarah is on her way to being pretty good as well. Lisa just has a way of blending in and calling the game and it just flows. Like a syrup on French toast.

Reaction Score
although... best Fox quotable of the game: "Nika has MOXIE!!"

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member