Fox wins MWC Rights Deal from ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox wins MWC Rights Deal from ESPN

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Navy is likely pleased that the AAC division format has been ditched as their placement in the West division just did not work. I don't see Navy leaving the AAC as they have been very competitive. Now it is true that TV money is not as big a deal for Navy given their service academy standing, but Navy has no reason to dislike the AAC football schedule with their yearly OOCs of Army, and ND. I have always seen Navy as a good AAC fit and I would need to hear a stronger argument for them to leave.
If they leave its simply because they want a BYU/ND/Army type schedule. Right now they get just four OOC games to play with.

Reaction Score
Navy is likely pleased that the AAC division format has been ditched as their placement in the West division just did not work. I don't see Navy leaving the AAC as they have been very competitive. Now it is true that TV money is not as big a deal for Navy given their service academy standing, but Navy has no reason to dislike the AAC football schedule with their yearly OOCs of Army, and ND. I have always seen Navy as a good AAC fit and I would need to hear a stronger argument for them to leave.
Navy requested to play in the West.

Remember, Navy has their own TV deal with CBS for their home games and the Army/Navy game. They already have one foot out the door.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that, Navy specifically wanted to be in the west division for recruiting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Feeling better about most of the AD going to the New Big East and football Independence.

On the other hand, ESPN controls nearly all of the non-NYD6 bowl season and I'd like to see positive news on bowl tie-ins sooner than later...obviously.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So then 3.5 million per team?

What am I missing? This sounds bad for them and potentially bad for us, depending on how NYC is valued...
As I noted in the other thread on this deal, I think that this is more than the American teams are getting on a net basis. No studio capital outlay and no production costs.

didn't Boise have a larger take than the other schools in the MWC?
wonder if that is able to continue. Would ESPN like Boise in the AAC?

biggest fear could come true...
Boise leaves MWC and joins AAC with BYU. That and rumors of the playoffs expanding could make the AAC a legit power league with a path to the playoffs.

Brace for it!
That would strengthen the American, as long as BYU and Boise didn't demand a premium share of revenue, which they undoubtedly would. Uneven revenue sharing would, eventually, destroy the American.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
didn't Boise have a larger take than the other schools in the MWC?
wonder if that is able to continue. Would ESPN like Boise in the AAC?

biggest fear could come true...
Boise leaves MWC and joins AAC with BYU. That and rumors of the playoffs expanding could make the AAC a legit power league with a path to the playoffs.

Brace for it!
That would strengthen the American, as long as BYU and Boise didn't demand a premium share of revenue, which they undoubtedly would. Uneven revenue sharing would, eventually, destroy the American.

Reaction Score
As I noted in the other thread on this deal, I think that this is more than the American teams are getting on a net basis. No studio capital outlay and no production costs.

What? 7M a year > 3.5M a year even if the cost is $1M per year for the TV stuff. Not sure I'm understanding.

Reaction Score
BYU still is hoping to join a P5 conference...as of Jan. 6 2020

“I also knew full well that going independent would not be easy and that success would be measured in varying ways. For example, playing unbalanced schedules, not having a conference championship to compete for and not always living up to our fans’ expectations would be a challenge,” Holmoe said. “There were other issues that we tried to resolve, but the MWC wouldn’t budge. Our only alternative was independence; however, our plans were — and still are — to join a Power Five conference in the future.”

Reaction Score
Sounds like a statement you would issue if you want to leave a conference without paying the exit fee.

Reaction Score
An Indy Boise makes a lot of sense. They would get a great TV deal and upgrade basketball/Olympics by joining the WCC. Do it Broncos!

Reaction Score
0 chance the WCC is interested in Boise.. the WAC could be a destination for their olympic sports if they were to pursue independence.

Reaction Score
The MWC traded receiving more money for being less visible.

For Boise, who was building a brand, a national TV presence with ESPN had value. Something that they felt is vital to their long term interest.

Reaction Score
The MWC traded receiving more money for being less visible.

For Boise, who was building a brand, a national TV presence with ESPN had value. Something that they felt is vital to their long term interest.
People always say this because ESPN is on more basic system packages, but let's face it the people who watch sports all have the Fox Sports packages. ESPN can pay the SEC and other P5 more because they get inventory from the AAC and others for pennies on the dollar.

Boise is going to have to make a decision. Maybe they go to the AAC. The rest of that league was getting scraped by ESPN. MWC did the smart thing.

Reaction Score
Boise State's Chris Petersen....

“I think a combination that really took us to the next level was, 1, being on ESPN, and 2, playing well on ESPN,” former Boise State coach Chris Petersen said in 2013.

And here is the rub for Boise...

The move comes with significant risk in terms of viewership. Only five regular-season games on FS1 drew 1 million viewers in 2019, compared to 66 on ESPN or its related cable channels.

Boise State football has appeared on an ESPN-affiliated channel 119 times since 1999. The Broncos likely won’t be on ESPN at least until a potential bowl game in 2020, because the only nonconference road game is at Marshall, whose conference doesn’t have a deal with ESPN, either.

Reaction Score
Boise State's Chris Petersen....

“I think a combination that really took us to the next level was, 1, being on ESPN, and 2, playing well on ESPN,” former Boise State coach Chris Petersen said in 2013.

And here is the rub for Boise...

The move comes with significant risk in terms of viewership. Only five regular-season games on FS1 drew 1 million viewers in 2019, compared to 66 on ESPN or its related cable channels.

Boise State football has appeared on an ESPN-affiliated channel 119 times since 1999. The Broncos likely won’t be on ESPN at least until a potential bowl game in 2020, because the only nonconference road game is at Marshall, whose conference doesn’t have a deal with ESPN, either.

The good news is Boise will get a chance to be on Facebook Live when they play at Marshall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom