Fox Sports: "How Dan Hurley Fashioned UConn Into An Offensive Juggernaut" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox Sports: "How Dan Hurley Fashioned UConn Into An Offensive Juggernaut"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It would be very selfish to keep Kimani and Luke here forever. I agree fully with SJ that I would prefer not losing both in the same offseason and yes, I believe Kimani should get a head coaching job first.

On a side note, I wonder if Louisville has any clue as to how much they assisted our program?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That’s the best Uconn article I’ve ever read with in depth explanations of the offensive philosophy. Here’s what I don’t understand. How do the most top level players out there not be in a line to play for him?
There's a quick and easy answer to this.

A large percentage of those players have spent the bulk of their lives being the center of attention and praised due to his ability to succeed at hero ball. They prefer being "the guy" to being "one of many critical pieces".

Reaction Score
One thing that winning national coach of the year would provide, is more of the type of recruit that fits our program. When all the prospects realize the kind of coaching they can get here, the more the best fitting recruits will want to come here. And when players like Sonan go elsewhere I wish them the best. They werent meant to be here.

Reaction Score
Ever since NCAA loss to NM St.. Dan was smart enough to make changes. Luke has been the chef with the recipe for the secret sauce for the offense. Matching up players with the system is now the lane we're in re: recruiting/portal adds to our roster. BBIQ and BB skills.

Great behind the scenes article leading up to Friday. Stay hungry.Keep on keepin' on. Six to go. One at a time.

Reaction Score
I think DH's ability to recognize that the very things that had made him so successful in his career - the defense, scrapiness, etc. - wasn't going to be enough to ultimately do more than just make the tournament at UConn is one of the biggest/most impactful self evaluations by a coach in almost any sport in recent years.

Take Tony Bennett - national championship winner and a good coach. But the guy still trots out the same thing year after year, he's made no adjustments to NIL, and he hasn't taken full advantage of the portal.

Hurley could have kept doing what he was doing and he would have won a bunch of games and sometimes probably done even more than that. But he realized he needed an offensive upgrade and, again to his credit, found the right people to work for him to do that.

Incredible stuff.

Reaction Score
Opponents will learn to adjust. Hopefully not for a while

Reaction Score
Kudos also to UConn for investing in this. Subscriptions to stuff like HD Intelligence cost real money, and it takes a forward-thinking school to understand the value.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
This article is like Moneyball for college basketball. Alex Karaban is the new Kevin Youkalis.
100%. While I was reading I thought it would make a great movie starting with the loss to New Mexico State and out of that frustration trying to reinvent the offense. Long hours. Grinding. The highs the lows. Putting together all the pieces of the puzzle and watching them finally win it all.

Reaction Score
Yep I actually hate articles like this that give away our secrets

Belichek was successful for so long keeping things under wraps. That's why you got one word answers at his press conferences, it wasn't just his personality

Coaches talk about this stuff all the time to each other. Even with belichek one of the only things that could get him to open up in a press conference was a good X’s and O’s question by a media member who knew their stuff. It wasn’t about keeping their techniques secret.

Plus nfl there’s no real need to promote your team. College the more positive press the better when it comes to recruiting and such

Reaction Score
Kudos also to UConn for investing in this. Subscriptions to stuff like HD Intelligence cost real money, and it takes a forward-thinking school to understand the value.
How much money?

Reaction Score
I'm confused about the sticky gloves. Seems counterintuitive in my mind, but i'm sure there's something i'm missing.

"UConn's players donning pairs of sticky sports gloves, not unlike the kind receivers wear in football. They form a line that stretches from one end of the court to the other, and each Husky has two basketballs at his disposal."

The gloves make it harder to dribble because you can't feel with your fingertips. Then when you go back to no gloves, it feels way easier to dribble. Like these

There's also things like heavy basketballs and basketballs with no grip you can buy for similar results. TBH they're all kind of gimmicky, but I do think it helps a bit and it DEFINITELY helps you mentally. Imagine the confidence you're gonna have if you can go full-court wearing a pair of freakin' gloves when the regular game comes around?

It's like running in combat boots, then going back to track shoes. It feels way easier to take long strides after being weighed down.

Reaction Score
I like this line from the article especially. From Gallagher (who is a really smart basketball mind): "Any time you played Danny's teams in the past, you knew you had to win a street fight," said Manhattan head coach John Gallagher, whose team lost to UConn in late November, during an interview with FOX Sports. "Now in the last, I'd say, two to three years, you gotta go into the library and win the debate, too.

That's pretty much exactly what you want in a basketball team. The focus on skill and passing has revolutionized Hurley's offense--something we were calling for his first few years here. Adaptability is key, and we got it.

Also love this about Karaban: "He's one of the best five, six, seven players in America," Gallagher said. "No one talks about him." .... I don't know about best 5 or 6, but is there a more underrated player in the country?

Reaction Score
IMO.An underappreciated part of Donovan's game is his passing/soft hands. In our complex sets where he is initially at the top of the key. His ability to make clean handoffs/passes to keep the ball moving in a fluid manner allows all of the other layering actions to happen. Helps everyone on the floor and takes the opponent's big away from the rim for back door screens and cuts.

Reaction Score
a national writer finally gives us the article I've been waiting on regarding the offense that our local writers have ignored

Wow. Damn I am going to miss Luke…

I hope they have someone trailing him 24X7

Reaction Score
It would be very selfish to keep Kimani and Luke here forever. I agree fully with SJ that I would prefer not losing both in the same offseason and yes, I believe Kimani should get a head coaching job first.

On a side note, I wonder if Louisville has any clue as to how much they assisted our program?

Danny has said both guys should get their own head coaching jobs. Thats the one thing you see from him all the time. Loyalty and support to make everyone better even if it means losing important pieces.

Reaction Score
IMO.An underappreciated part of Donovan's game is his passing/soft hands. In our complex sets where he is initially at the top of the key. His ability to make clean handoffs/passes to keep the ball moving in a fluid manner allows all of the other layering actions to happen. Helps everyone on the floor and takes the opponent's big away from the rim for back door screens and cuts.
Good article in The Athletic from this week about how more college offenses are making the center the playmaking hub and how much Jokic has influenced the game. Clingan said he idolizes Jokic and studies his game.

“Being able to see over defenders, especially on backdoors or when teams are switching, I can throw it over the top rather than throwing a bounce pass, and it comes from a better angle because it’s coming from up higher,” UConn center Donovan Clingan says. “It’s definitely an advantage being able to be 7-2 and pass the ball like that.”

Clingan is not what you’d picture in a playmaking center. But instead of just planting him in the post, which is where he would have played in past eras, Dan Hurley has made him the hub for UConn’s halfcourt offense. Clingan can’t really dribble or shoot, so defenders usually sag off him, but that’s a luxury for the Huskies. He’s always open for ball reversals, and he can execute handoffs and deliver the ball as UConn’s shooters are endlessly screening and cutting around him.

“I love passing,” Clingan says. “Just getting a great pass off and setting up a teammate for an easy basket, I love that.”

Hurley uses him this way because it works, but he also sees it as his responsibility to develop Clingan so he will eventually fit in the NBA.

“If they can’t play in five-out, if they can’t play away from the basket, they’re going to have a hard time getting to the NBA,” Hurley says. “So I think it’s a weapon for you, creates new opportunities offensively, but also the responsibility to the player in terms of their career and your player development and being able to recruit the next center that you can win with.”

Reaction Score
The gloves make it harder to dribble because you can't feel with your fingertips. Then when you go back to no gloves, it feels way easier to dribble. Like these

There's also things like heavy basketballs and basketballs with no grip you can buy for similar results. TBH they're all kind of gimmicky, but I do think it helps a bit and it DEFINITELY helps you mentally. Imagine the confidence you're gonna have if you can go full-court wearing a pair of freakin' gloves when the regular game comes around?

It's like running in combat boots, then going back to track shoes. It feels way easier to take long strides after being weighed down.
yup...there's a reason baseball players swing a weighted bat in the on deck circle

Reaction Score
Good article in The Athletic from this week about how more college offenses are making the center the playmaking hub and how much Jokic has influenced the game. Clingan said he idolizes Jokic and studies his game.

“Being able to see over defenders, especially on backdoors or when teams are switching, I can throw it over the top rather than throwing a bounce pass, and it comes from a better angle because it’s coming from up higher,” UConn center Donovan Clingan says. “It’s definitely an advantage being able to be 7-2 and pass the ball like that.”

Clingan is not what you’d picture in a playmaking center. But instead of just planting him in the post, which is where he would have played in past eras, Dan Hurley has made him the hub for UConn’s halfcourt offense. Clingan can’t really dribble or shoot, so defenders usually sag off him, but that’s a luxury for the Huskies. He’s always open for ball reversals, and he can execute handoffs and deliver the ball as UConn’s shooters are endlessly screening and cutting around him.

“I love passing,” Clingan says. “Just getting a great pass off and setting up a teammate for an easy basket, I love that.”

Hurley uses him this way because it works, but he also sees it as his responsibility to develop Clingan so he will eventually fit in the NBA.

“If they can’t play in five-out, if they can’t play away from the basket, they’re going to have a hard time getting to the NBA,” Hurley says. “So I think it’s a weapon for you, creates new opportunities offensively, but also the responsibility to the player in terms of their career and your player development and being able to recruit the next center that you can win with.”
Thanks for headsup @aceboon . Had not seen that article nor do I subscribe to The Athletic-- Just an observation on my part and it makes sense after reading your post.

Reaction Score

It's also a great way to showcase him for the league. Yeah, he's not shooting the 3s at volume yet, but he can make plays from the top of the key and in a couple years will be shooting 2-3 a game at a decent % if he keeps improving. He's developing the footwork and ability to make reads in an NBA-ish offense.

Jim

Reaction Score
Great article. Not to take away any of Danny and the staff's thunder, but across the way Geno has been doing much the same thing for the last 20+ years. He incorporates concepts from European and NBA play and adapts them to fit his personnel. And the one thing Geno prizes in a recruit is the ability to pass the ball. To Danny's credit, he is smart enough to listen to Jim Calhoun, Geno, Luke, his dad, etc., put his own wrinkle on things, and come out a winner.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
100%. While I was reading I thought it would make a great movie starting with the loss to New Mexico State and out of that frustration trying to reinvent the offense. Long hours. Grinding. The highs the lows. Putting together all the pieces of the puzzle and watching them finally win it all.
There must be a boneyard screenplay writer who can take this project on-sell it to 30 for 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom