Fox Sports: "How Dan Hurley Fashioned UConn Into An Offensive Juggernaut" | The Boneyard

Fox Sports: "How Dan Hurley Fashioned UConn Into An Offensive Juggernaut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
a national writer finally gives us the article I've been waiting on regarding the offense that our local writers have ignored

Reaction Score
this article confirmed what I suspected in Luke Murray being a hardcore international/Euroleague hoops head, you can definitely see the influence in the offense. gonna be a pretty big loss whenever a program decides to hire him as their HC.

Reaction Score
I'm confused about the sticky gloves. Seems counterintuitive in my mind, but i'm sure there's something i'm missing.

"UConn's players donning pairs of sticky sports gloves, not unlike the kind receivers wear in football. They form a line that stretches from one end of the court to the other, and each Husky has two basketballs at his disposal."

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If Hurley and UCONN can keep Murray and Kimani for several more years, imagine the possibilities.

Reaction Score
This offense is going to be very influential. Especially as the assistant coaches branch out. Nothing this successful goes without imitation.

Yep I actually hate articles like this that give away our secrets

Belichek was successful for so long keeping things under wraps. That's why you got one word answers at his press conferences, it wasn't just his personality

Reaction Score
Yep I actually hate articles like this that give away our secrets

Belichek was successful for so long keeping things under wraps. That's why you got one word answers at his press conferences, it wasn't just his personality
There is no chance that any of this is new information to high level college coaches and their legions of data analysts. The challenge is replicating it with the type of personnel that we have as well as stopping it.

Reaction Score
There is no chance that any of this is new information to high level college coaches and their legions of data analysts. The challenge is replicating it with the type of personnel that we have as well as stopping it.

Knowing what we do is one thing

Knowing how we got there is an entirely different thing.

Reaction Score
Knowing what we do is one thing

Knowing how we got there is an entirely different thing.
I think we'll just agree to disagree. I can't possibly fathom how any of this offers a scintilla of new information to anyone who knows what they're talking about. It's not a state secret.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Leaves to replace Hurley. He’s a lifer.
Hurley is here for another 8-10 or so years, assuming he retires around 60 like he said he will. Luke could be leading a major P5 by that point and have no desire to leave, or a big enough buyout that we couldn't even afford it lol

Reaction Score
That's why I'm hoping he sticks around and Kimani gets his own gig after the season. Kimani is a lot older and deserves his own show, losing both of them at the same time would be a big blow.
My gut tells me Kimani will leave to run his own program and Luke will be promoted to Associate Head Coach.

Reaction Score
You’d be surprised at how many coaches are stubborn about introducing modern offense principles and analytics into their offense. In the article Hurley even talked about how him and Kimani would look at the analytics Murray told them and be like “wtf is this ”. Murray gave Hurley a lot of credit for being able to ADAPT.

It’s hard to adapt and accept you need to learn new things, especially as you get older. Hurley made it to head coach of an all time college basketball program without it he could have easily turned down Murray’s ideas and said “what do you know, I’m the head coach, I made it here without this ”.

Unfortunately, I think that type of philosophy is very prevalent in today’s game, even in the NBA. Old coaches think they know ball and don’t want to adapt to new things. It’s gotten better since the Warriors stormed the league in 2015, but there’s still ways to go.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me Kimani will leave to run his own program and Luke will be promoted to Associate Head Coach.
Whatever the transition, I doubt Hurley will be caught unprepared. Last year's run likely bought him one more year with the coaching staff intact, so he has had a year to figure out who he will bring in as replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom