Fouls Fouls Fouls | The Boneyard

Fouls Fouls Fouls

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If you look at Depauls 4 losses they were in foul trouble in every game and Morrow fouled out in two of those games. If you look at Depauls 4 losses 3 were on the road and one was at home against ND and Morrow fouled out. There is alot of frustration on the board concerning the refs and imo rightly so. We saw Held fall on top of Caroline when she was making a layup and no call. We saw Liv stripped of the ball while going to the basket and clearly was fouled and no call. We saw Nika and Christyn get hammered and no call. These are a couple of examples. Let me start by pointing out that Depaul had approx 6-7 fouls on them late in the game and then were forced to foul to get the ball and they committed another 3-4 fouls because they had to. UConn had 19 fouls called on them and were in foul trouble and Depaul had a total of 10 fouls.

What happened in the second quarter? Liv and Dorka were sitting which allowed Depaul to go on their run. Why did that happen? Foul trouble to our bigs which allowed Depaul to penetrate which they couldnt do with Dorka and Liv in the game. We need them in the game and we need Amari and Paith to get up to speed because we may need them later in the season. With Dorka and Liv out our rebounding fell off too.

By not calling fouls on Depaul the result was in UConn turnovers and more baskets for Depaul. It also allowed Depaul some freedom to shoot and drive right at their defender because they knew UConn couldnt foul. UConn many times was defenseless due to foul trouble. It also gave Morrow alot more freedom because she wasnt in foul trouble and UConn was. How many points does that transfer to Depaul????? I will bet when Depaul comes to UConn the fouls will be a little bit more even.

This may have been UConns breakout game. They showed grit determination and confidence. UConn overcame alot. This game may have changed our season. Azzi and Caroline wanted to ball in the heat of the moment. Both showed confidence. Both were super and both carried the team.

If you look at the box score UConn shot 70% from the floor and 62% from 3 in the second half and almost lost???? UConn shot 58% from the floor and 40% from three for the game.

Ive been posting about how good UConn would be when Paige and Azzi get back. Well last night made alot of you believers and now we wait for Paige to be healthy. I hope UConn gets a 1 or 2 seed. The next big game is Tenn and I like our chances alot. A win over Tenn will help move us up in the seedings as will going undefeated the rest of the season. Alot more games have to be played before the end of the season and those teams ahead of us in the brackets will most likely loose a game or two. One thing is for sure. Nobody wants to see UConn in their bracket now. This is a different team with alot of weapons that who can score in a variety of ways with out any fear. We can rebound and we have height and depth with everybody healthy. The only thing we have to worry about is foul trouble, injuries and health.

One last point. Can we please stop bringing up players who are having a tuff time. We know they are, Geno knows they are and they know they are. Just dont bring it up and maybe it will fix itself. Parents coaches and their friends dont wanna hear it. We heard from Paige's dad and Pattersons dad. IMO this is a problem or the parents wouldnt be bringing it up.

Reaction Score
If you look at Depauls 4 losses they were in foul trouble in every game and Morrow fouled out in two of those games. If you look at Depauls 4 losses 3 were on the road and one was at home against ND and Morrow fouled out. There is alot of frustration on the board concerning the refs and imo rightly so. We saw Held fall on top of Caroline when she was making a layup and no call. We saw Liv stripped of the ball while going to the basket and clearly was fouled and no call. We saw Nika and Christyn get hammered and no call. These are a couple of examples. Let me start by pointing out that Depaul had approx 6-7 fouls on them late in the game and then were forced to foul to get the ball and they committed another 3-4 fouls because they had to. UConn had 19 fouls called on them and were in foul trouble and Depaul had a total of 10 fouls.

What happened in the second quarter? Liv and Dorka were sitting which allowed Depaul to go on their run. Why did that happen? Foul trouble to our bigs which allowed Depaul to penetrate which they couldnt do with Dorka and Liv in the game. We need them in the game and we need Amari and Paith to get up to speed because we may need them later in the season. With Dorka and Liv out our rebounding fell off too.

By not calling fouls on Depaul the result was in UConn turnovers and more baskets for Depaul. It also allowed Depaul some freedom to shoot and drive right at their defender because they knew UConn couldnt foul. UConn many times was defenseless due to foul trouble. It also gave Morrow alot more freedom because she wasnt in foul trouble and UConn was. How many points does that transfer to Depaul????? I will bet when Depaul comes to UConn the fouls will be a little bit more even.

This may have been UConns breakout game. They showed grit determination and confidence. UConn overcame alot. This game may have changed our season. Azzi and Caroline wanted to ball in the heat of the moment. Both showed confidence. Both were super and both carried the team.

If you look at the box score UConn shot 70% from the floor and 62% from 3 in the second half and almost lost???? UConn shot 58% from the floor and 40% from three for the game.

Ive been posting about how good UConn would be when Paige and Azzi get back. Well last night made alot of you believers and now we wait for Paige to be healthy. I hope UConn gets a 1 or 2 seed. The next big game is Tenn and I like our chances alot. A win over Tenn will help move us up in the seedings as will going undefeated the rest of the season. Alot more games have to be played before the end of the season and those teams ahead of us in the brackets will most likely loose a game or two. One thing is for sure. Nobody wants to see UConn in their bracket now. This is a different team with alot of weapons that who can score in a variety of ways with out any fear. We can rebound and we have height and depth with everybody healthy. The only thing we have to worry about is foul trouble, injuries and health.

One last point. Can we please stop bringing up players who are having a tuff time. We know they are, Geno knows they are and they know they are. Just dont bring it up and maybe it will fix itself. Parents coaches and their friends dont wanna hear it. We heard from Paige's dad and Pattersons dad. IMO this is a problem or the parents wouldnt be bringing it up.
Great post, glad I am not the only one that saw the lack of foul calls on Depaul. I agree with everything you posted!!!

Reaction Score

We need Piath and or DeBerry to Beas good as Morrow. Not going to happen. Especially when they can't practice well enough to demand court time.

Reaction Score
All season we have had to overcome all kinds of things. This was just one more and we did it.
We were due for one of these "at the buzzer" type games to go our way. We're not in this position often, but it feels like those have gone against us in recent years. Also think the 4th quarter malaise is done now that we have some more players back, so I'll be less nervous heading into 4th quarters from here on out.

MrT

Reaction Score
This is not WWE the REFs are letting these teams which hack all game get way with it . This is bad for the game , the bad teams are aloud to play this school yard "NO BLOOD NO FOUL" garbage and its disgusting . The cream will come to the top if the games are called right. Teach the REFS !!!

Reaction Score
Here’s a different view. There will always be games where one team gets the wrong end of how the refs call a game. Last night, they decided to let things go in the paint. Good coaches and good players adjust to that. We didn’t and today we moan. We let a much smaller freshman beat us up and beat us down. And there were no fouls committed during the majority of times that she just out hustled us to the ball.

This needs to be corrected before the Tourney where we play teams that are strong inside or we won’t have to worry about who will get the ball for the last second winning shot. If our bigs can’t handle the heat inside, the game will have been decided way before that.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Here’s a different view. There will always be games where one team gets the wrong end of how the refs call a game. Last night, they decided to let things go in the paint. Good coaches and good players adjust to that. We didn’t and today we moan. We let a much smaller freshman beat us up and beat us down. And there were no fouls committed during the majority of times that she just out hustled us to the ball.

This needs to be corrected before the Tourney where we play teams that are strong inside or we won’t have to worry about who will get the ball for the last second winning shot. If our bigs can’t handle the heat inside, the game will have been decided way before that.

You can't let things go in the paint for one team and not the other. And this goes beyond Morrow.

If you can tell me, in good conscious, that this would not have been called if it was Ducharme defending Held, I'll tell you that you didn't actually watch the game.

1643309735471.png

Reaction Score
You can't let things go in the paint for one team and not the other. And this goes beyond Morrow.

If you can tell me, in good conscious, that this would not have been called if it was Ducharme defending Held, I'll tell you that you didn't actually watch the game.

View attachment 72760
I’m not trying to tell you that we didn’t get the wrong end of the calls last night. I’m telling you that his was a BE opponent that we should have dominated …especially with our bigs. We didn’t.. the refs had little to do with it.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I’m not trying to tell you that we didn’t get the wrong end of the calls last night. I’m telling you that his was a BE opponent that we should have dominated …especially with our bigs. We didn’t.. the refs had little to do with it.
Hard for the bigs to stay aggressive when they're not equally calling fouls.
Hard to dominate when you can't stay aggressive.

Easy to push folks around when you have fouls to burn and fouls aren't being called on you.
Easy to make the other team look soft when you know they're afraid to foul you again.

You're oversimplifying the situation by saying "well, they're in the BE and we should dominate them."

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How can you dominate when UConn was called for many touch fouls and DePaul could maul and even knock players upside the head, not once but three times, by Morrow and not one of them gets called as a foul.

Reaction Score
We let a much smaller freshman beat us up and beat us down. And there were no fouls committed during the majority of times that she just out hustled us to the ball.
Morrow is 6'1", and what you mean she is a much smaller freshman? UConn 5 starters only ONO and Droka are taller then she.

I doubt you have watched last night game since you said "there were no fouls committed during the majority of times that she just out hustled us to the ball". This is totally not true.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I’m not trying to tell you that we didn’t get the wrong end of the calls last night. I’m telling you that his was a BE opponent that we should have dominated …especially with our bigs. We didn’t.. the refs had little to do with

Dominate us???? They were able to play foul free. Do you understand what happened with all the fouls called on us and none called on them. Call the fouls on them and we dont have 3 starters sitting on the bench. Call fouls on them and we dont have as many turnovers and we have more points and they have less points. We were in foul trouble and they werent because of the one sided calls. Being in foul trouble allowed them to score and took opportunities away from UConn to score. We had Caroline Dorka and Liv sitting. How bout Morrow and Held sitting for 7 minutes do you think UConn wouldve run up the score. The refs made it a home job big time. They fouled us when they were trying to steal the ball, and it was called a turnover, With all the fouls called on us we were defenseless which allowed them to do what they wanted and we couldnt play defense for fear of fouling out. Call fouls on them and we win by alot. How many no calls on Depaul resulted in baskets for them and not for UConn. You see the pic above with Held falling on top of Caroline and no call. What about Liv driving to the basket and instead of UConn getting 2 pts and a foul on them they get the ball and score. Hey we shot 58% for the game and 40% from 3 and almost lost. We shot 70% in the second half and 60% from 3 and almost lost. Morrow is a great player but call the fouls on her and she may have fouled out. Look at ther games against top teams and she was in trouble in all of them and fouled out of 2 of the 4 losses and fouled out of 2 of those losses.

Reaction Score
You don't need to tell and convenience us what you think. We have eyes and we watched the game last night.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Whether it's brought up or not will not determine if things will fix itself. When it gets fixed it be because the coaches fixed it. What is said on the BY may be read by the players, but the coaches won't let it affect the players. I agree there is too much of the negative comments on the board but much of it is by newcomers or people who don't know much about the game or people who just want to complain.

Reaction Score
Joe Vaszily is a poor referee and UConn's chances of losing are much higher when he is an official. In the ND game Paige got a bloody nose right in front of him, and he ignored it (because, you know it was a tough defensive play - NOT ). In last nights game his inconsistent officiating was in full view as this video shows. Note the commentary by Megan. Vaszily was not calling them all night, then all of a sudden, he blows the whistle. How frustrating for Held and Depaul. He has done the same to UConn and probably other teams. Note that this call favored UConn, so it is not about an official hating UConn. He is just a bad ref. Allows contact, pulling and tugging and then he will knit pick calls. He will call/allow a 3 second call when the player is arguably there for +/- 3 seconds; call/allow a travel when a player drags a pivot foot 1". But a player making a cut off the ball and getting bodied is a no call (???). That is why he is bad for the game.

P.S. In the video above, after the ticky-tack call, note the timid defense by Held (and other Depaul player) on the ensuing play. It led to a easy drive to the basket by Williams. Proof, IMO, that the way a ref calls a game directly affects the way teams play. Probably has more influence on the game than the X's / O's of a coach. All IMHO.

Reaction Score
This is not WWE the REFs are letting these teams which hack all game get way with it . This is bad for the game , the bad teams are aloud to play this school yard "NO BLOOD NO FOUL" garbage and its disgusting . The cream will come to the top if the games are called right. Teach the REFS !!!
As a referee your job is to be impartial and call fouls when you see them if you can’t do that get off the court. If whoever oversees the officials and observes referees being biased or just not making calls that should be made it’s their duty to remove that referee from future games. If you see a foul call it it’s that simple. It’ll make for a much cleaner game and a better played game.

Reactions: MrT
Reaction Score
Good post Tony, as usual. However, I had to come back 4 times to finish it because my attention span could not get through it all at one time.

I saw the game on a You Tube posting. You are correct. Tremendous amount of fouls by DePaul players that were not called. Is there any way that a coach can ask for a review by an independent committee to review the behavior of refs during a game?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Good post Tony, as usual. However, I had to come back 4 times to finish it because my attention span could not get through it all at one time.

I saw the game on a You Tube posting. You are correct. Tremendous amount of fouls by DePaul players that were not called. Is there any way that a coach can ask for a review by an independent committee to review the behavior of refs during a game?
Coaches grade the individual refs after a game

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
What's amazing is that UConn is always the team hurt by bad officiating.
Nah. For example, Baylor got the short end of the stick on the no-call in the Elite 8 matchup last year.

Mind you, the officiating was pretty equally terrible the rest of the game, but that particular lack of a call definitely went in UConn's favor.

Reaction Score
Morrow is 6'1", and what you mean she is a much smaller freshman? UConn 5 starters only ONO and Droka are taller then she.

I doubt you have watched last night game since you said "there were no fouls committed during the majority of times that she just out hustled us to the ball". This is totally not true.
Agree and have to push back on Lobo's comments about a "smaller freshman." Similar to a Charles Barkley, ONO, Darko, etc. may have been taller, but Morrow was much bigger and stronger than anyone on UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom