Forwards & centers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Forwards & centers

Reaction Score
I recall we beat Ms. Morrow and DePaul last year, twice. Did I miss another
DePaul game? (tongue in cheek). What I most recall is Caroline "executing" the play
that Geno drew up for the team, was it 1.6 or 1.8 seconds on the clock??
GO HUSKIES!!
Uh…
Topic is forwards and centers.
Conversation includes Boston on SC
Point is if UCONN cannot contain a 6’1” freshman, Ms. B (6’5”) will have a feast
Morrow:
1/26—30pts-14reb
2/11–-20pts-16reb
Change deployment/functioning of front line.
Good Luck with Boston:
22pts 15reb first meeting
11pts 16reb finals
Understand above was last year.
This year brandy new team with much more size.
I suggest UCONN consider relentless physicality on front line-give fouls- make a statement.
New sheriffs in town.
JMHO

Reaction Score

Awwww C'mon. The writer's comment was Hilarious IMO!! Interpret mine it anyway you like, just plain funny to me. Judge and Jury huh. There's a Thousand other posts from people you might want to pin as well. Take your time.
Far from judge and jury but calling anyone "son" is condescending from my perspective.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Uh…
Topic is forwards and centers.
Conversation includes Boston on SC
Point is if UCONN cannot contain a 6’1” freshman, Ms. B (6’5”) will have a feast
Morrow:
1/26—30pts-14reb
2/11–-20pts-16reb
Change deployment/functioning of front line.
Good Luck with Boston:
22pts 15reb first meeting
11pts 16reb finals
Understand above was last year.
This year brandy new team with much more size.
I suggest UCONN consider relentless physicality on front line-give fouls- make a statement.
New sheriffs in town.
JMHO
Two things I know RIGHT NOW on September 14, 2022 -
This team can score the basketball. UConn WILL NOT have trouble scoring points. Too many players that can score in different ways.
Even if 1-2 are having a cold shooting day, there are others that won't be cold and can do some damage offensively.

2. Hopefully Geno can inspire his team to keep opponents at or below 65 points per game this season. That's roughly 16 points (or less) per quarter.

UConn will probably average 75-85 ppg. The offense is already there. They need to sure up the defense and get real stingy.
It won't happen, but I'd like to see UConn play defense like the two teams left in the WNBA championship series.
They play hard tough in your jersey defense for 40 minutes. Asking no quarter and giving none. Nobody on either team has backed down in the first two games. :mad:

Playing defense is hard. That's why most players don't like to do it. The UConn teams during the Breanna Stewart era were pretty good defensive teams. In the 2013/14 - 34 game season, only 1 team, Oregon broke 65 points. No worries though, UConn scored 114 against them that night. Only 3 teams broke 60. In the NCAA tournament that year, no team broke 60. Oh how I long for days gone by. :rolleyes:

BTW - speaking of the WNBA, I have the Aces in 4. ;) Kiah Stokes gets a WNBA championship ring. :D In case you didn't know, the fat Lady is traveling with the Aces on their charter plane to Connecticut for games 3 & 4. So she'll be in the wings standing by if when needed. ;)

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Boston scored 22 and 11 points against UConn. That's not a problem in my book.

The problem is that she grabbed 15 and 16 rebounds and South Carolina kept on the offensive boards and kept UConn off the offensive boards. UConn doesn't play them till February 5. I think SC may dominate on the boards in that game, but by the Final Four I predict the young'uns plus Aubrey will have learned how to handle SC's relentless rebounding. Ice and Ayanna are both STRONG, and Ayanna "leaps out of the gym" per Paige, as does Aubrey, back willing. Lou is big and strong, Nika, as I'll never forget, outrebounded Cameron Brink in the Final Four this year on a bum ankle. UConn has the tools, they need to put them all together. (I'm by no means ignoring the potential that Dorka and Aaliyah may step up the rebounding, but they didn't this past season.)

I really think if they can rebound, they can defeat South Carolina. No prediction, just citing the possibility.

Reaction Score
Yes. Don't under estimate Brady. As another poster remarked, Brady just might be the BIG East Conference freshman of the year.......
if she plays her cards right. She has the size to play with Boston. Whether she can stay with her and move her around (block her out/keep her away from rebounding positions) in the paint is another matter. It's not easy to keep a player bent on rebounding from doing so for 40 minutes. It's lots of work. Constant body contact......pushing and shoving with no let up on both ends of the court. It's a battle of wills.
The Chicago Bulls Dennis Rodman had one job to do. He was not going to let anyone keep him from doing it.

Rodman, a 5 time NBA champion and NBA Hall of Famer (2011) is known for his fierce defensive and rebounding abilities, his biography on the official NBA website states that he is "arguably the best rebounding forward in NBA history". The best because he wanted to be, and he focused/worked on it every night.

Rodman was an incredible rebounder and a post defender of great repute. Rodman won seven rebounding titles notable during the era of Charles Barkley, and 7 footers Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson. I'm not comparing Brady to Rodman, just making the point that it can be done. Rodman was only 6'7". The same height as Wes Unseld (The chairman of the boards) Baltimore/Capital/Washington Bullets. The 1 inch she gives up to Boston is negligible. Brady like Amari DeBerry can be as good as she wants to be. Brady however comes in with a different approach than DeBerry. Brady has heart.
Hey, save the condescending tone towards Deberry for another board. It's possible to disagree with a tone of respect for her (where you at Cancontent). LOL!! Nah, but by the time February rolls around Boston will be in WNBA Rookie Of The Year mode. A college freshman (bench player) will have no chance. Sorry

Reaction Score
by the time February rolls around Boston will be in WNBA Rookie Of The Year mode. A college freshman (bench player) will have no chance.
You mean like last March against Dre’una? Or Rhyne Howard against Princeton? Anyone can be outplayed on any day, even in February or March.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hey, save the condescending tone towards Deberry for another board. It's possible to disagree with a tone of respect for her (where you at Cancontent). LOL!! Nah, but by the time February rolls around Boston will be in WNBA Rookie Of The Year mode. A college freshman (bench player) will have no chance. Sorry
Yes, you're right Billineckz for calling me out. After reading that last line again, I want to retract it. I like DeBerry. Those types of observations should be kept to one's self. I'm going to ask a mod to delete that last sentence. It's out of bounds. Sometimes I get carried away. That was one of those times. It won't happen again. Sorry Amari. :( I have requested a MOD to delete that last sentence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Save the condescending tone for a different board. It's possible to disagree with a tone of respect.

I recall Boston being pretty dominant as a freshman. I also recall Aaliyah Edwards being competitive with her as a freshman when Boston was a sophomore in their loss to UConn. Anything is possible as Kevin Garnett says.
There is some truth in this. Boston was very good as a freshman, then took a step backwards as a sophomore. Aaliyah had a very good freshman season and took a step backwards last year. So when Aaliyah seemed competitive with Boston was her good freshmen season against Boston's lessor sophomore year.

After losing a close one to Stanford in the Final Four. Boston dedicated herself in the offseason with less weight, more strength, much faster sprint times and several inches higher vertical leap. She was much better and more dominant her junior year. Now Aaliyah needs to rebound from a disappointing season, and I think the early signs are good, but Boston has reached a higher level.

We have more bodies to bang with Boston this year. Dorka is more physical than Liv was, Ice can help a-lot, Ayanna is physical, and maybe Amari can be a top shot blocker although her style is more finesse. Throw in Aaliyah and we will need to deal with Boston by committee. In the final game Liv was injured and Dorka wasn't available. Considering we were using just a three big rotation for most of the season those two situations were devastating, and we had to play a team that dominates just about everybody on the boards.

Not being able to hold our own on the boards under those circumstances, against the best rebounding team in the country, was quite predictable. We might not be equal to SC on the boards this year either, but if we are healthy, and the freshmen step up, we can get close on rebounds, and give Boston different looks from a variety of talented bigs. Just don't be dominated inside, and we have advantages at other positions and could beat them.

Reaction Score
...are you sure you are on the correct board? Muffett McGraw-like comments go on the Notre Dame boards.

We try to frame comments in a positive manner, and the UCONN women have a long time to work together before the (first) South Carolina matchup in February, 2023. 23 games (that count) to be exact.

i believe it will be a good ride! Buckle up!

Should be the best transition game fed by strong defensive effort since MOJEFF, Tuck & Stewie were on the court for UCONN.

Reaction Score
Yes.
But before I speculate;
Let’s see UCONN neutralize Morrow before we move on to Boston.
Last I looked, we don’t have to neutralize Morrow. She scored 30 & 14 and we still won! Boston imo likely cannot be neutralized. All you can do is make things as difficult as possible for her and make up the difference with your other four players (and subs). Of course, not having to put a shell of our healthy team on the floor will likely help as well!

Reaction Score
Last year, we lost because we loss on rebound,
I just cant believed why can let grab the rebound so easily, especially offensive rebound

Reaction Score
Lol, no-wins against the Gamecocks. They better focus on winning the BE.
Judging from our long record of dominance, we don’t need to focus on winning the BE! That problem is well in hand. SC, admittedly, is a problem to be dealt with!

Reaction Score
Losing Paige is bad, but the team seems to be still loaded at guard. At the forward and center position, I’m less certain we have the strong bangers needed to beat a team like South Carolina and neutralize Boston. Maybe I’m focusing too much on Boston- she’s so strong and relentless. Do we even need to become a team of bangers?
Dorka always seemed more a finesse type player to me. Especially since she is returning from the broken wrist, will she mix it up down low and provide muscle? Geno likes the high-low combo- with Liv and Aaliyah, one was up high and the other was down low. Aaliyah doesn’t flourish as well up high in my opinion, so I think Dorka should be up high, but that means Dorka isn’t down low.
Can Amari become a banger or a force down low near the basket? It seemed she like being up high and shooting from there. The opportunity is there for her to really contribute.
I think Patterson will be a stud and a rebounding force. But she’s a freshman along with Ice. Still, if she comes into the game, maybe to spell relief for a few minutes, I think she will hold her own pretty well.
Am I worrying about nothing? Does UConn need someone to become their own version of Boston? I remember that fantastic tournament game when Louisville beat unbeatable Baylor and Brittany Griner. Best game I ever saw. Maybe UConn is good enough with enough weapons to beat South Carolina even with Boston.
There are guard and there are Guards. None are Paige, except Paige. Hopefully Lou lives up to billing.
Boston, beat Uconn ONCE so did Griner. Geno rarely is beaten twice by the same Post. Geno has used guards effectively. He'll often try to keep the ball out of the POST's hands, by guarding the Point Guard tightly.
Patterson has potential, yet she is only 6'3" she has the disadvantage weight and height--what does she have Boston doesn't have--mobility, foot work, dunking, scoring away from the basket.
Ameri shall never be a BANGER. She can be a scorer a more like ONO than Boston.
If Uconn is lucky enough to face S.Carolina again, I like UCWBB;s chances.

Reaction Score
There are guard and there are Guards. None are Paige, except Paige. Hopefully Lou lives up to billing.
Boston, beat Uconn ONCE so did Griner. Geno rarely is beaten twice by the same Post. Geno has used guards effectively. He'll often try to keep the ball out of the POST's hands, by guarding the Point Guard tightly.
Patterson has potential, yet she is only 6'3" she has the disadvantage weight and height--what does she have Boston doesn't have--mobility, foot work, dunking, scoring away from the basket.
I enjoy these takes, but as a visitor, I will remind everyone that not only was South Carolina the best rebounding team in the country, they were the best shot blocking team in the country and their defense is elite. Boston has already beat Uconn three times in her career and defensively SC has held Uconn to its worst three scoring quarters ever. They return 4 starters and bring back the majority of a team that plays defense as well anyone in the country. Not saying Uconn will not be a formidable opponent, but to think that a team that has now been with Dawn Staley 4 years together, will just be overtaken talent, strength or skill wise by the contributions of players coming off major injuries incoming freshmen navigating their first season of major college basketball is a stretch in my eyes, but as many have said before time will tell.

Reaction Score
Boston has beaten UConn 3 times. You say Boston doesn't have mobility, footwork, or scoring away from the basket? And you compare that with Patterson who hasn't played any college ball yet. Hmm, interesting...

Reaction Score
Yes, you're right Billineckz for calling me out. After reading that last line again, I want to retract it. I like DeBerry. Those types of observations should be kept to one's self. I'm going to ask a mod to delete that last sentence. It's out of bounds. Sometimes I get carried away. That was one of those times. It won't happen again. Sorry Amari. :( I have requested a MOD to delete that last sentence.
Carnac, you are a big man. But, there's no need to beat yourself and apologize. People say disparaging things about Nika all the time without feeling any need to apologize.

Reaction Score
Keep chirping as this obviously is something that makes you feel better. You know this comparison doesn't prove any points.

Reaction Score
I recall we beat Ms. Morrow and DePaul last year, twice. Did I miss another
DePaul game? (tongue in cheek). What I most recall is Caroline "executing" the play
that Geno drew up for the team, was it 1.6 or 1.8 seconds on the clock??
GO HUSKIES!!
Try not to come across as condescending. OP was absolutely right in their statement as you were with yours. We best DePaul twice, doesn’t mean we contained Morrow though!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carnac, you are a big man. But, there's no need to beat yourself and apologize. People say disparaging things about Nika all the time without feeling any need to apologize.
:eek:There goes that amazing sensitivity towards critique of Nika again, in a thread about forwards and centers no less.
200.gif

Reaction Score
Please let me suggest: a great deal of the time
(not withstanding Dorka’s injury), in UCONN’s offensive scheme, often a big is positioned far from the boards- to the top of the key ( dealing the ball/screening) or to the elbow (screening/looking for or taking a shot).
This tends to eliminate them from put-back opportunities or rebounds by an opponent that has already staked out a position closer in.
I’m not arguing, but I’m sure Coach knows this and it a situation he is willing to allow to occur as a result of his offensive approach.
There is a saying that “ when someone only has a hammer, everything is a nail”.
I think that with so many tools now in his toolbox, Coach can offer a variety of looks- same motion offense- hard inside, or ( my preferred) a combination of both.
The more looks UCONN can present, the more difficult they will be to prepare for.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Please let me suggest: a great deal of the time
(not withstanding Dorka’s injury), in UCONN’s offensive scheme, often a big is positioned far from the boards- to the top of the key ( dealing the ball/screening) or to the elbow (screening/looking for or taking a shot).
This tends to eliminate them from put-back opportunities or rebounds by an opponent that has already staked out a position closer in.
I’m not arguing, but I’m sure Coach knows this and it a situation he is willing to allow to occur as a result of his offensive approach.
There is a saying that “ when someone only has a hammer, everything is a nail”.
I think that with so many tools now in his toolbox, Coach can offer a variety of looks- same motion offense- hard inside, or ( my preferred) a combination of both.
The more looks UCONN can present, the more difficult they will be to prepare for.
The most urgent missing tool from the UCONN offensive kit is and remains a post player that is able to provide easy baskets and be more productive on the paint touches. This has been a 3 years struggle and without such a player the UCONN offense has been relying on almost perfect half court execution and getting streaky deep ball shooting. Aaliyah struggles last year were typical-after shooting an astounding 69% as a freshman her FG% dropped off by significantly (down to 52%) and keep in mind this is from a player that rarely ever shoots from deep. More productive paint touches can come in three flavors 1) Less turnovers form the post players AE and ONO were the team leaders in TO last season 2) Shooting a higher FG percentage at the basket (this needs to be expanded beyond the post Players). 3) Having a player at the basket put you in better offensive rebounding position as has already been mentioned and this floor balance does wonders for your defense efficiency as well. For example, it is harder for a team to start transition if they are starting by taking the ball out of the net versus grabbing a rebound that is above the foul line.

Reaction Score
The most urgent missing tool from the UCONN offensive kit is and remains a post player that is able to provide easy baskets and be more productive on the paint touches. This has been a 3 years struggle and without such a player the UCONN offense has been relying on almost perfect half court execution and getting streaky deep ball shooting. Aaliyah struggles last year were typical-after shooting an astounding 69% as a freshman her FG% dropped off by significantly (down to 52%) and keep in mind this is from a player that rarely ever shoots from deep. More productive paint touches can come in three flavors 1) Less turnovers form the post players AE and ONO were the team leaders in TO last season 2) Shooting a higher FG percentage at the basket (this needs to be expanded beyond the post Players). 3) Having a player at the basket put you in better offensive rebounding position as has already been mentioned and this floor balance does wonders for your defense efficiency as well. For example, it is harder for a team to start transition if they are starting by taking the ball out of the net versus grabbing a rebound that is above the foul line.
Can’t disagree with any of this excellent assessment. I’d add that the passing game, even around the perimeter, was quicker when we had posts like Steph and Stewie on the floor. Watching some of those games now, I’m really struck by the lightning speed of the passing game. I’m not sure what the connection is between strong posts and quick passing, but I suspect Geno knows what it is.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Can’t disagree with any of this excellent assessment. I’d add that the passing game, even around the perimeter, was quicker when we had posts like Steph and Stewie on the floor. Watching some of those games now, I’m really struck by the lightning speed of the passing game. I’m not sure what the connection is between strong posts and quick passing, but I suspect Geno knows what it is.
Completely agree, watching some of last years games it annoys me when Liv or AE are at the high post turning from left to right for more than 5-7 seconds looking for someone to pass to. At that point the play is dead and they have to make a decision to turn and shoot or drive. It just really slows up the offense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our half court offense seems to not have changed in many years, and I hate to admit it, but it really hasn't been that effective. The PG dribbles to the right, hands off to the wing who dribbles to the top of the key and passes to the left to the other wing. Then, back to the PG at the top of the Key. At that point, it goes to the high post for them to make a play. Unless its Paige out there, there is not a lot of confidence by me that a score is coming. We need to push the ball more, but all the players have to run up court, not just the PG. Sorry to be negative, but something new could energize this team, and us fans. BTW, I am energized all the time so if anyone wants to question me about that, that's my answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom