[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens | Page 2 | The Boneyard

[formerly] Duke's Azura Stevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That highlight video is impressive, although highlight videos can be very misleading. Great size, mobility and ball handling for someone her size. Good shooting touch, too. I'm wondering if she'll play exclusively on the perimeter or if she has skills to play in the paint. Very good numbers in their first scrimmage, Duke isn't very deep this year so she'll have a good chance to start or earn big minutes. She'll definitely be one to keep an eye on.

Side note--I just looked at Duke's roster, they are HUGE this year. They have zero depth at the guard positions (I think the 1-2 positions will be rotated through Johnson, Greenwell, and Calhoun, I don't see Frush/Riggs logging minutes in meaningful games) but they have 2 players who are 6-3, 4 players who are 6-4 and Stevens who is 6-5! 7 players 6-3 or taller. Compare that to UCONN and Tennessee who have just 2 players 6-3 and up.

Reaction Score
That highlight video is impressive, although highlight videos can be very misleading. Great size, mobility and ball handling for someone her size. Good shooting touch, too. I'm wondering if she'll play exclusively on the perimeter or if she has skills to play in the paint. Very good numbers in their first scrimmage, Duke isn't very deep this year so she'll have a good chance to start or earn big minutes. She'll definitely be one to keep an eye on.

Side note--I just looked at Duke's roster, they are HUGE this year. They have zero depth at the guard positions (I think the 1-2 positions will be rotated through Johnson, Greenwell, and Calhoun, I don't see Frush/Riggs logging minutes in meaningful games) but they have 2 players who are 6-3, 4 players who are 6-4 and Stevens who is 6-5! 7 players 6-3 or taller. Compare that to UCONN and Tennessee who have just 2 players 6-3 and up.
The question is can Duke use their size against opponents?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
:confused: I was wondering why this thread was bumped :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Did you forget UConn plays Duke on 12/29?

With any luck....I hope UCONN forgets

george-michael-snoopy-walk.gif

Reaction Score
The highlight reel can tell you something about coordination and basics...this young lady has them and some serious height to go with it. I think any good program would like to explore her potential...

Reaction Score
I liked willtalk's take. I'm always skeptical of a 6'5 big running fastbreaks. It is rare - a player can do that at a high wcbb level. Thus - all the highlights of her handle - it's okay but have to see her play wing during game - not just show the good stuff. I'm a bit reluctant to believe she has significant handle thouhg that is what the video shows. Can she defend wings or is she a pf/c defensively but a wing offensively? Can she score making a low post move without getting a layup beucase the real good teams can put a 6'1 athlete on her and take away the baby layup.So can she roll to the midel and convert? Can she pass into the post?

The video isn't enough but imo much better than 56.

Final note- a tall wing isn't neccesarily a good wing. If you play the wing sometimes you get stuck on sg's too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The next Candace Parker. JPM should be ready to teach her some of the lessons she's learned.

She really looks like a tremendous athlete with some serious skills. Certainly looks a lot better than #57.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I inquired about a year what you guys thought of Azur'a . Now DWHoops says she is one
of our best frosh ever.

Another fine game from one of Duke's best freshmen ever. Her ability to score all over the floor and unassisted is a game-changer for Duke, who desperately needed another consistent scorer. She played both power forward and two-guard in this game, getting stickbacks and hitting long jumpers. She was also relocating the ball nicely, as she had assists to Riggs and Calhoun. Her toughness under the basket is remarkable when one considers how slender she is, but physical play doesn't seem to bother her one bit.

Reaction Score
I think that, as far as "posts with guard skills" from this freshman class go, Azura's guard skills are actually more developed than A'ja Wilson's. Not saying she is / will be a better player than A'ja, but at this point in their respective careers, I'd be more comfortable with Azura doing guard-like stuff on the perimeter for my team than A'ja.

I enjoy the way she's come out of relative obscurity and become quite the force on this young Duke team. ;)

Reaction Score
I think that, as far as "posts with guard skills" from this freshman class go, Azura's guard skills are actually more developed than A'ja Wilson's. Not saying she is / will be a better player than A'ja, but at this point in their respective careers, I'd be more comfortable with Azura doing guard-like stuff on the perimeter for my team than A'ja.

I enjoy the way she's come out of relative obscurity and become quite the force on this young Duke team. ;)

I guess I'm too old school, but seeing a 6'5 kid doing "guard-like" perimeter stuff in WCBB seems like an interesting novelty but likely not the optimal way to use her, for the team. I get how she may enjoy playing from the guard or the wing spot, every big kid thinks they're Magic, and I imagine when she was recruited she was promised the chance to do just that, but this stringbean needs to get stronger, more efficient, and learn the post, so when senior Elizabeth Williams leaves, Duke is not without an inside presence. Greenwell is solid, and they have Salvadores and several other guard recruits coming in, but no big. This goes to the question of McCallie's basketball acumen.

Last edited:

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
One of my reasons to bring this back up was, she was not a big mac. Nice to know
there are some real plums at times further down.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Granted Ive only seen South Carolina twice..... once vs Syracuse and once in person in Durham...... but I agree..... Stevens seems much more of a natural at the wing than Wilson.

I guess I'm too old school, but seeing a 6'5 kid doing "guard-like" perimeter stuff in WCBB seems like an interesting novelty but likely not the optimal way to use her, for the team. I get how she may enjoy playing from the guard or the wing spot, every big kid thinks they're Magic, and I imagine when she was recruited she was promised the chance to do just that, but this stringbean needs to get stronger, more efficient, and learn the post, so when senior Elizabeth Williams leaves, Duke is not without an inside presence. Greenwell is solid, and they have Salvadores and several other guard recruits coming in, but no big. This goes to the question of McCallie's basketball acumen.

Actually she plays on the inside as well...... she has started at the PF for the past few games. Even after EW graduates.... Belton will provide Duke with an inside presence.... as will Cooper and Chidom at the PF. She does need to gain upper body strength...... but dont we all :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Actually you are wrong on that point. At present the are playing her at guard because she is actually the best available option. Being thin at guard is an understatement. It takes more than one solid guard to play the game. The key word in your post was COMING IN. They will be there next year not this season. Next year it might be a luxury, but this season it is a necessity. They have plenty of post players this year and will be set at that position for years to come as well even with Stevens at wing.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Azura, she's making an immediate impact for this team like Liz and Lex did their freshman campaigns. I'm curious to see how she does these next couple games against Kentucky and Uconn. I expect her to get majority of points against Kentucky off 2nd chance points. As for Uconn I'm not to sure just because I'm sure Geno will mix size and length against her aka KML and Stewie.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge fan of Azura, she's making an immediate impact for this team like Liz and Lex did their freshman campaigns. I'm curious to see how she does these next couple games against Kentucky and Uconn. I expect her to get majority of points against Kentucky off 2nd chance points. As for Uconn I'm not to sure just because I'm sure Geno will mix size and length against her aka KML and Stewie.

Against Kentucky- 17 pts 9 rb's and 2 blocks in just 18 min. Now it remains to be seen what she does against the Husky's.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stevens may be the best freshman in the nation. At this moment I would take her over Wilson.

I know others on here will disagree with your first statement, but regardless... she has played really well so far... and is definitely one of the better freshman to date. I like her game better than Wilson's... but of course I am biased. Stevens is such a cool and collected customer on the court.... I love those type of players.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lets not leave Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell out of the discussion, especially the role she has taken on with very little help around her and with the team decimated by injuries.
I completely agree that Kelsey Mitchell should be in discussion for top freshmen, but she does have a pretty competent co-guard in Ameryst Alston but Mitchell does have to carry quite a big load and seems to be adjusting to the game quickly.

Reaction Score
I know others on here will disagree with your first statement, but regardless... she has played really well so far... and is definitely one of the better freshman to date. I like her game better than Wilson's... but of course I am biased. Stevens is such a cool and collected customer on the court.... I love those type of players.
Just watched Duke Nebraska that I had on dvr. Stevens was very impressive. Basically kept Duke in the game.

Reaction Score
My Top Freshman
1. Azura Stevens (Duke)
2. Alexa Middleton (Tenn)
3. Jamie Nared (Tenn)
4. Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
5. Kia Nurse (UCONN)

;) Just kidding Just kidding :confused: lol

With all seriousness at this point in the season, I would rank the top freshman in this order....
1. Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
2. Azura Stevens (Duke)
3. Kia Nurse (UCONN)
4. Brianna Turner (ND)
5. Ariel Atkins (Texas)

You could most definitely make a case for Aja Wilson taking someones spot because of the injuries to Brianna and Ariel...but pre-injury I thought those two freshman looked impressive. IMO

Reaction Score
fyi, Stevens finished as the #30 composite player in high school.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stats are very illustrative but they're only one piece of information used to determine who might be best. For example, Kelsey has some impressive numbers but the toughest team OSU has played is, um, Georgia? Meanwhile, Azura Stevens' team has played A&M, Nebraska, So. Carolina, and Kentucky. I am NOT putting down Mitchell in any way, just giving the big numbers some perspective.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
HuskyNan said:
Stats are very illustrative but they're only one piece of information used to determine who might be best. For example, Kelsey has some impressive numbers but the toughest team OSU has played is, um, Georgia? Meanwhile, Azura Stevens' team has played A&M, Nebraska, So. Carolina, and Kentucky. I am NOT putting down Mitchell in any way, just giving the big numbers some perspective.

And don't forget Kia Nurse is one of 5 scoring options on the floor and on a team with such balanced scoring and talent her numbers are going aren't going to be as high as others even though her role on the team and how she does it is very very good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom