Former UConn men's basketball star Emeka Okafor captivates Big East freshmen at orientation | The Boneyard

Former UConn men's basketball star Emeka Okafor captivates Big East freshmen at orientation

Reaction Score

Backdoor cut to article

-> "He was nothing short of tremendous," Big East executive associate commissioner Stu Jackson noted.

For the past eight years, the league has gathered its incoming freshmen for a weekend in the Big Apple, a sort of orientation of what it means to be a Big East basketball player. When Jackson contacted Okafor, who lives in New York City, to serve as one of the former player panelists, it wasn't exactly a hard sell.

"There was no sell," Jackson pointed out. "Without hesitation, he said he was in."

Okafor seemed to get as much out of it as the young players he met. "It was cool," he said. "It was a great experience to go there and chat with incoming freshmen. It was nostalgic for me to reminisce about that time. We didn’t have that program when I was a freshman, but being there reminded me of what it was like to be a freshman." <-

Reaction Score

Backdoor cut to article

-> "He was nothing short of tremendous," Big East executive associate commissioner Stu Jackson noted.

For the past eight years, the league has gathered its incoming freshmen for a weekend in the Big Apple, a sort of orientation of what it means to be a Big East basketball player. When Jackson contacted Okafor, who lives in New York City, to serve as one of the former player panelists, it wasn't exactly a hard sell.

"There was no sell," Jackson pointed out. "Without hesitation, he said he was in."

Okafor seemed to get as much out of it as the young players he met. "It was cool," he said. "It was a great experience to go there and chat with incoming freshmen. It was nostalgic for me to reminisce about that time. We didn’t have that program when I was a freshman, but being there reminded me of what it was like to be a freshman." <-

We all know how big Clingan is but how tall is Yarin Hasson really? Pictures can sometimes be deceiving but Okafor is listed at 6'10 and Hasson is listed at 6'9. That doesn't compute based on the picture.

Reaction Score
We all know how big Clingan is but how tall is Yarin Hasson really? Pictures can sometimes be deceiving but Okafor is listed at 6'10 and Hasson is listed at 6'9. That doesn't compute based on the picture.
Karaban is 6'7, Okafor is 6'8, Hasson is legit 6'9, and Clingan is 35 feet tall. My best educated guess. Wild that this kid dwarfs one of the best centers in college basketball history. He's a giant. I have so few reference points for someone that big, that it's kind of hard to register

Reaction Score
Sounds like it was a great experience for the upcoming freshmen. Shows the league and all the teams are serious about investing in these young stars. Also getting them stoked about what it means to be in BE…regular trips to MSG. Another good selling point for recruiting

Reaction Score
More likely Oakafor is 6’7”, I know he was always listed as 6’9 but hey. Clingan standing next to these guys looks like another species, he’s 7’4 unless the other’s heights are wrong.

Reaction Score
More likely Oakafor is 6’7”, I know he was always listed as 6’9 but hey. Clingan standing next to these guys looks like another species, he’s 7’4 unless the other’s heights are wrong.
Because it's the offseason and we all have nothing better to do, he measured in just under 6'9 at the draft combine. That would track with Karaban listed at 6'8.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I always thought people could tell by looking at okafor he wasn’t 6’10. Listed heights are always tricky.

Hasson being a legit 6’9 is nice though. That shot goes in, he’ll find the court before long.

Reaction Score
I always thought people could tell by looking at okafor he wasn’t 6’10. Listed heights are always tricky.

Hasson being a legit 6’9 is nice though. That shot goes in, he’ll find the court before long.

Emeka was always a guy where the
Mau-surements needed to be confirmed right here ! Sanogo is similar quite honestly.

Reaction Score

Backdoor cut to article

DC is a big boy. Its going to be so much fun watching him win BE POY before his time is done here.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Emeka is 39. He's about to enter his time of life where he will lose 0.5 in of height every 10 years. I can attest to that at 70! I once measured out at 5'10". Not now.

Reaction Score
If Emeka measured 6-8 3/4 in socks then he was 6-10 in sneakers, which add between 1" to 1 1/2" to the height. Remember, basketball listed heights are in sneakers.
The fact he averaged a double in the NBA at his height was quite an achievement. Plus the dominant way he played while still in college .
He was probably the strongest man ever to play for UConn ,a man against kids at times.
The fact that I call him a man when I usually refer to anyone under 50 as a kid ( it’s not disrespectful it’s being in denial about my age) is testament to the esteem I have for this gentleman. One of my all-time favorites.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Emeka is 39. He's about to enter his time of life where he will lose 0.5 in of height every 10 years. I can attest to that at 70! I once measured out at 5'10". Not now.
Im 67 and I echo that. I wish I started at 5'10:"
I started at 5'6" and right now I could probably walk tall underneath DC with his legs parted. I've lost 1/2" in height in last 9 months

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Do you now measure 5 feet 6.5 inches?

Reaction Score
Supposedly, yoga and hanging upside down, hanging from monkey bars etc. limits this process. I know some older people that are very fit and they seem to shrink a lot less than the inactive ones. No idea what the reality is and I’ve done no research.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom